High school and no lockers

mof

Momdidntsignupforthis
This may seem like a silly post...but here they have removed all lockers from the High schools.

It seemed that in this digital age that perhaps they were going more technical...refuse books...go to iPad etc..

But no...I have two high school boys, the school would be viewed as middle to upper class...( kids drive nicer cars than I ever had). We are in the south..but Monday at the bus stop it will be 29 degrees. Kids don't wear coats... no where to put them. Lunches...got to cart them with you all day...no iPads provided..so, yes, about 50lbs of books!

They still use drug sniffing dogs in schools....but lugging everything is nuts I think!?

Is this a trend in other parts of the country?

Lil

That's...insane.

Seriously, what are they expected to do with stuff like coats? Carry books...stupid, but okay, they have backpacks I guess. Lunches, I assume they think will either be bought or go in backpacks. But really, the coat thing has me stumped? And what if you have a kid that can't carry the books? Will there be an ADA accommodation for that? Where the heck do you live? (You don't have to answer that...just really surprised.)

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
Why don't you call the school and ask them why they removed the lockers? They had lockers in previous years I'm assuming?

I worked at a school for a few years and parents called ALL the time about stupid stuff but I think this is a good question to get an answer to!

mof

Momdidntsignupforthis
Lil..I'm in AL. This school is only 4 yrs old...I believe they felt things would go digital..but of course that costs money.

They actually ask kids to get out their cell phones...wtf. they use them..then I once punished my kid, took phone, and he got a 0 for not having it! I called about that!!

I also have a beef that a cell phone is not on list of school supplies Needed...I guess I'm old fashioned, but can everyone afford these things???

Just wondered if this was the norm...

KTMom91

Miss KT graduated in 2009, so I'm not really current on high school stuff, but cell phones were not allowed to be out on campus. Period. If the kids were caught using their phones, the phones were confiscated and the parents had to come get the phone.

The lockers were present, but not used.

AppleCori

Hmmm....

Very unusual, I would say.

I don't know of any schools in our area that don't have lockers.

There must be a reason, but if they can't give you a good one, I would contact the school board and try to find some answers.

Kathy813

Staff member
The high school I teach in has lockers. I think you should call and ask where students are supposed to put their coats.

My school district has gone to digital textbooks so that wouldn't be an issue here but students do still carry bookbags for notebooks, calculators, etc.

As far as cellphones, things have changed since 2009. Our students are allowed to have them but are expected to keep them put away during class unless the teacher allows them for an instructional use. For example, many of my students use their phones for calculators when they forget their graphing calculators.

Of course, the digital age has made cheating even easier. My school's policy is that all electronics must be turned off and in book bags which are put in the front of the room during assessments. Otherwise, they can take pictures of the test and send them to everyone in the school . . . answers, too!

Even then, the little darlings still manage to find ways to cheat. One of my students stored the A, B, C, D answers to her version of the multiple choice final exam in her graphing calculator and then gave them to her friends. We realized something was wrong when students were turning in version A answers when given version B exams.

Now we have to clear their graphing calculators before and after the midterm and final exams.

It's hard to keep up with them. They are very creative.

~Kathy

mof

Momdidntsignupforthis
I. Believe they feel in the digital age less books are needed..but they are not all digital by a long shot.

Things have changed!!! The buses now have WiFi...it's crazy.....

Thanks for responding...I was curious if this was the norm..

nlj

Schools in the UK don't have lockers, never have.

My daughter carries around a heavy backpack all day, plus flute, sports stuff, cookery equipment, etc depending on what's on the timetable for that day. My older kids lugged all their stuff around, I lugged all mine around in the 1970s.

My 12 year old constantly complains of pain in her shoulder, also here in the UK most high school kids go to school without jackets/coats even in the middle of winter because there's nowhere to leave your coat and it's something else to have to carry around all day.

There's even more to carry on the way home as they get illiterate letters from illiterate teachers to bring home. o_O

Teachers get a staffroom of course.

The UK is rife with "one rule for them and one rule for us" mentalities.

Kalahou

The middle school and high school my children attended never had any lockers at all. I think most schools here are similar with no locker facilities. It is a mild climate with no need for heavy coats and boots, so there is no need to store those clothing items during the day. All books, water containers, packed lunches etc. were carried from class to class in heavy backpacks. All classrooms open directly to the outside elements. The kids pass between classrooms on outside sidewalks or across grass / dirt yards. There are no interior corridors and very little wall space where outside lockers could be affixed. The kids never knew the convenience of having a locker and never expected them. Also our weather temps are quite warm, and there is not any air conditioning at all at many of the schools, only some fans.

Last edited:

BusynMember

I dont understand why any school would expect kids to carry everything around all day. Must be cost saving for them, not any benefit to tbe kid.

What about kids who lose everything? Thats an expensive lesson for Mom and Dad and kids with certain disorders will never learn not to misplace things.

I was one of those kids. I put everything in my locker but still lost things, but the locker helped minimize losses

I don't like this idea.

mof

Momdidntsignupforthis
Lol..Swot, u should see the lost and found! One of my children is in the band...they have a place to put instruments..his is not allowed on the bus. Another issue...

But the lost and found is filled barrels to the brim...I would make mine dig thru and say, at least come home with a sweatshirt..lol

Parents obviously don't care....school donates everything twice a year..

Our climate is warm.. but we do have four seasons, and occasional snow. But I believe the air conditioning is used most...

Kathy813

Staff member
Teachers get a staffroom of course.

They are lucky! My school did away with a teacher's lounge years ago. We eat in our rooms while we tutor students. Many of us have bought small refrigerators and microwaves at our own expense to store our lunches and heat them up to eat.

~Kathy

Kathy813

Staff member
SWOT, this is just a guess on my part but there may have been problems with students keeping drugs in their lockers. My school has even had to bring in drug sniffing dogs at times.

You would be amazed at where they have found drugs. For example, kids store pills in the battery compartment of their graphing calculators! Who would have thought to look in there?

~Kathy

mof

Momdidntsignupforthis
I know your right, they do being in dogs...we know kids can be crafty. Again...stinks for the honest ones.

susiestar

Roll With It
They wanted to take out the lockers and the doctors in our town had a MAJOR fit. It is a serious health issue for children to carry so much weight on their backs all day and our schools will not permit the wheeled backpacks in the hallways, claiming they are a falling hazard. This is about the only issue that the pediatricians, orthopedic doctors and chiropractors in our town have ALL come together on and said NO on. They cited studies with a certain percentage of body weight over which it is dangerous to carry, especially for the developing body. Having all of the doctors coming together before the school board in a united front stopped all efforts to get lockers removed from the schools for any reasons.

mof

Momdidntsignupforthis
The doctors are right.. A woman at the school sited that the architects did not have to make the halls as wide, therefore saving money and space building the School.

Perhaps it made sense while looking at the future.. Still, not everything is digital.. Like coats, lunches, other stuff for class.