High School Orientation This Morning

Bunny

difficult child had orientation for incoming freshman this morning. He doesn't seem too nervous about it, but he was really not pleased when I told him that parents don't stay. I think he will do okay. He said that he's not really nervous about starting him school because it's really the same thing as middle school, only a bit bigger with more kids.

A week and a half until school starts.

DammitJanet

Well Im glad he went in and seems to be okay with things. I hate to admit but I always took my boys in to school to meet and talk to their teachers the week before school started when we knew who their teachers were going to be. I did it all through HS with my middle son. Thats how I found out he faked his first period English teacher out the year before...lol. He had told her that he had missed a week of first period because he told her that he was involved in a car wreck. BUSTED!!!! I told on him and from then on they really watched him. Now middle son was/is a good kid but he had a friend who had graduated already but picked up 3 boys every morning to take them to school. Well that didnt happen again. He was stuck on the bus.

LittleDudesMom

It's definitely a time of transition, excitement and nervousness. I remember my son's first day, there was excitement and trepidation mixed all together and, as I watched him exit the car and cross the street to high school, my heart gave a little lurch.

*Sharon

Bunny

He did really well, and I was wrong about the parents. We stayed! After they took the kids out of the auditorium the principal came and spoke to us and answered any questions we had. All in all, I think it went well. He said the school is big, but he doesn't seem too concerned about finding his way around. We shall see!

Wiped Out

Staff member
I'm glad he did well! I hope that high school is as good of an experience for him as it has been for my difficult child. He's not problem free but much improved!

svengandhi

Our SD did away with the summer parent orientation a few years ago and switched it to an evening before 8th grade ended. This year, they started a new program that brought the 8th graders up to spend a day at the HS meeting some teachers, getting a tour and having lunch. Babyboy enjoyed it.

Next week, they are having a morning breakfast where the kids can come up, see their classrooms and check out their lockers.

Unfortunately, babyboy's schedule is totally messed up. They gave him 2 history classes, gave him English and math teachers who are on a no go list and his foreign language teacher is so atrocious that I will make him switch languages if they don't put him in with the other teacher. The language teacher is a main reason why oldest boy was removed from the HS and made foreign language exempt at an alternative school. I didn't think she was still alive, let alone teaching, or I'd have put her on the no go list as well. The other language teacher failed difficult child in 10th grade, but difficult child earned it and I have no hard feelings toward that teacher. In fact, I think she's great. The flaming apex of babyboy's horrible schedule is that his guidance counselor is the same one who was in the elementary school when we had the worst of the problems with difficult child. I asked that he get a new gc as well. Babyboy took it well. He asked if he could drop math and take the 2 histories!

School starts September 9 so we have some time still.