His car overheated today.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
So he's like mine, who drives his car for a year without changing or even checking the oil and is dumbfounded when the oil light comes on and the engine smells funny?

susiestar

Roll With It
So, did the engine block crack even though he "checked the oil" and it "always looked fine, a nice clear red color" for more than a year?? Yup, my husband wins that award - it was actually more than a year that he swore the oil was fine and he was getting it changed and all the while he was checking the other fluids and figured that the red one was the oil. Grrrrrrr.

What was his solution for the overheated car? One of husband's friends who "knew a lot about cars" destroyed one by INSISTING that you could use diet coke in the radiator instead of water and antifreeze. Cars do NOT do well with soda. Not even when it is diet.

This guy was supposed to be "great" at fixing cars - he didn't get NEAR our cars though. Not after that! (No, it was not a joke, the guy wasn't kidding and he really did put diet coke in his radiator and it killed his car. Not a hoax, urban legend or anything else. )

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Yup, Sue. Peas in a pod, I'd guess.

He "fixed" it by adding antifreeze to the radiator. Said it was low.

Now, not to be ornery, but...cars generally don't just lose all their coolant. It had to have gone somewhere. Hopefully, it went onto the ground via a tiny slow leak over the past year instead of seeping into the heads or in a giant gush onto the ground somewhere.

But hey, what do I know...lol