His ear is pierced

Wiped Out

Staff member
It was difficult child's birthday today. We kept it low key but it was a nice day. Most of the day he was even pleasant. :D

I can't believe that I actually let him get his ear pierced! I had always told him he had to wait til he was 18.

He really wanted it and I finally decided why not? He is so thrilled about it and couldn't believe I let him get it pierced. I just hope he takes care of it so it doesn't get infected.

I had to laugh at my mom's reaction. It took us forever as kids to convince her to let my sister and me pierce our ears. I figured she would flip but when I told her she thought it was great! Go figure!

M

ML

I'm so happy to hear it was a good day for him. Times have changed. I don't think a pierced ear is the same as it used to be. Not with the other areas like the brow and tongue "the thing". I hope he enjoys his earrings :)

BusynMember

Both of my boys wanted pierced ears at twelve. They were shocked when I said ok. To me, it was no biggie. I'd heard that kids pierced their own ears in rebellion, and these were two nice boys so we took them.
Two weeks later both of them were trying to grow their ears closed. They are thirty now and neither has ever asked for or tried to pierce their ear again, nor any other part of their body.
One of my sons told me, "I was shocked you said you'd do it."
In a way, I think the wanted to get a rise out of me and it didn't work...lol.
Just my little tail. I don't see it as a monster issue.

It IS way different that it used to be. My brother had his ear pierced when he was 15 or so (he is 37), and I remember my Grandfather teasing him relentlessly, calling him a sissy.

by the way, I have the tongue pierce "thing". :)

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
My Brother and husband sister have everything pierced.... I had my belly button.
WARNING: I was a pretty serious Mountain Biker- I was jumping off of a rock and the ring got caught on my button of my pants... ugh.... and ripped out. I don't have it anymore.

i don't mind the guys getting one or 2 ... just not the huge wide ones. Good for you MOM!!!

Marguerite

difficult child 3 was asking for a stud in his ear a few years ago but he seems to have forgotten about it. I think he was too young at 10, plus he was still in mainstream school and it could have caused all sorts of problems with some teachers and other kids. Now, though, it wouldn't be such a problem. But then, he's no longer feeling the same level of peer pressure!

Marg

klmno

I like the way you handled it. I would have a tough time agreeing easily to this at my son's age, but shoot, at 18, there are a lot of worse things he could have wanted to do, Know what I mean?? Kudos to you!!

Fran

Former desparate mom
I mentioned in the Good Morning thread that I had hoped one of the boys would pierce an ear but neither were that interested.
easy child got a tatoo after 18. Of course, his mom got one at 48. LOL.
After life with difficult child I don't worry about convention anymore. It is all a big Basket C for me. Hair, clothes and current trends all fit in that basket. Both boys got highlights in their hair. I loved it.

I'm glad difficult child is tickled with it. I'm sure like most things, they will get bored with it and think it's no big deal.
I sort of like a man with a pierced ear. Unfortunately husband's career doesn't really allow for that sort of fashion trend. LOL.

Way To Go! you are a cool mom. HB difficult child from this board auntie.

DammitJanet

Happy Birthday to difficult child!

I got Corys ear pierced when he was 6. He was so cute. I said he looked like he had been tagged by the wildlife society...lmao.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Thanks all! difficult child is still walking on cloud nine, of course, it's only day two. He told me yesterday I made his dream come true! I have to give him credit he is washing his hands a lot so he doesn't accidentally touch his ear with dirty hands! I have to admit it looks nice. He has a faux diamond earring and is thrilled!

Fran-I so want a tatoo only I'm so afraid of pain I haven't done it yet!

susiestar

Roll With It
Glad he had a good day!! You will have to keep reminding him to clean the ear, just like with other things. I think it is cool!

thank you thinks it is a strange thing to do, but he may change him mind and I think as long as they don't do their own ear piercing it is OK. Other piercings husband says must wait until after 18.

Fran

Former desparate mom
Wiped out, for all the bangs, bruises and assault you have survived, a tat2 is a walk in the park.