Hmm A Question

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I realize that as we age time seems to speed up, the older you are, the faster it seems to go.

Well.......not quite sure how to put this, but I'll try. Once I got through the shock/intense grieving of husband's death......and basically really got back to getting on with life, I have an issue. It seems that life is going at the speed of light, and somehow I'm not in sync. Think speed of light compared to say a turtle.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm doing so much better, honestly. I'm working hard and getting stuff done and such and yeah that is a good thing. But still, I can NOT get rid of this feeling that the world around me is going on much much faster than I am. And quite frankly, I'm finding it hard to keep up. Sometimes impossible to keep up.

Like to me I just paid the monthly bills. (I do them all at once so I don't forget) But it's nearly time to pay them again. In my "world" I just took Maggie to the vet for her shots.......yet 3 wks have passed. When I see that on a calendar I'm like wth? where did it go and where was I? Know what I mean??

I don't recall having this outside of the normal "older you get faster time goes" thing while in school. There were schedules to keep and deadlines to meet and such, so even if I felt it was going to fast (sometimes I did but not like this), there was something there to keep me on track. Now? Feels almost like I'm standing on the sidelines because the track is too fast for me to climb aboard.

Trust me, it can get mighty overwhelming at times too. Not to mention a bit unnerving.

This is going to sound odd, but I seriously can't recall if it was an issue before school or not. (that short term memory deal of mine) I know it would appear during school breaks though because I'd be like really? it just started! LOL

And yes, it's been causing a few panic attacks lately. That's not a huge issue because so far I can still talk myself down no problem.

Ever heard of such a thing?

witzend

Lisa, I don't think you're alone in this feeling. I think that there is so much in life that we expect to accomplish, and that we go along at our regular pace and even then as we get older that time goes faster - because we realize how little time we have. Then when you add to that some sort of major upheaval, we still have those desires to complete things, and we have to do them without (or in addition to) the things that we had always counted on being there. It's as though we are filling time between the "to do" list, and we realize that those time fillers aren't necessarily the way we would prefer to fill our time. We don't want to waste a minute, but the truth of it is that life is full of laundry and cooking and figuring out how the sprinkler works.

I don't know if that makes any sense, but that's how it feels to me. {{{{{{Big hugs}}}}}}}

InsaneCdn

:rofl:
Welcome to my world.
I am well aware that there are only 9 weeks until the kids go back to school. Under 6 months and I have to be ready for winter break. Under a year, and I have to be ready for k2 to start driving lessons...
And yes, I HAVE to look that far ahead, because... everything takes 10x longer than it used to... and comes at me 20x faster, and... I just don't know at what point I'm going to lose it and not keep up...

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Lisa, I think this YEAR has been doing it to us all. Really. I mean seriously, how did I get to be 25 weeks pregnant? Wasn't the D&C (last summer) last week? Kids have been out of school for a MONTH? HUH?

My IM status is the same thing as this: HOLY SMOKES, what happened to JUNE?

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Well, that DOES make me feel better. whew!

But oh, my! If I'm like this at 48........what am I going to be like in 10-20 yrs??? :faint:

Dates keep sneaking up on me something horrible. Like we had planned to have the yard sale this weekend a few weeks back. I thought, oh plenty of time. Yet.......here it is almost time for the darn thing and I'm no where near ready. Seems like I went from point A to point B in nothing flat. (and yes that gets old) So we might have to change the date because I can't see any possible way to be ready in time, especially due to the last heat wave. ugh

And yeah, I'm still trying to figure out where april and may went......june just soared by. LOL

flutterby

Fly away!
I do the same thing, Lisa, and I have just attributed it to the cognitive stuff I have going on. But then I also frequently can't place when something happened - it could have been yesterday or 3 weeks ago.

busywend

Lisa, i think this because u are not in ur official new routine yet. You are still doing things that u will not have to do a year from now, ie: cleaning out DHs stuff, prep for garage sale. I think when u get through these not usual tasks and come into ur new official routine, time will slow down again.

FlowerGarden

I feel the same way. Recently, I brought this up in conversation with a friend's mom (she's in her 80's). She told me "Time seems to be going by so fast because you're not as young as you used to be so it takes you longer to do things"! LOL

Malika

The great French Marshall Lyautey once asked his gardener to plant a tree. The gardener objected that the tree was slow growing and would not reach maturity for 100 years.

The Marshall replied, 'In that case, there is no time to lose; plant it this afternoon!'

No time to lose, Hound Dog :)