Hmmmm...guess who has cancer?

DDD

Yep, it's me. I'm really surprised.......but then again, not surprised. I'm surprised because I have done all the blankin' tests you are suppose to do on a regular schedule. on the other hand, I have had irregular symptoms lately that made me think "oops". I did the testing.

I don't want a big thread of prayers etc. That's just not my style (unless I get near the end, lol) but I'm debating whether it makes sense to get "opened up" or not. "most" people who have surgery seem to be more rapidly checking out. I'm debating and will be researching. I will "own" my choice.

Lordy I hope the childen and the special grandchildren don't try to influence my choice. I fear my easy child/difficult child won't be able to cope with the idea. This is sad but it is MY choice. DDD

buddy

What to say? I get it that it is not time to get all mushy, it is time to investigate and really think things through. If it does hit you and you do need more you know where we are. And sorry dear, you are already on the prayer list with the others here, so what is one little extra sentence??? You will have to punish me later.

I am sure your decision will be the best one for YOU. Yes of course your kids and grands will have opinions, so start thinking now how much you even want to share I guess. Whatever you decide I will cheer you on through the whole thing. I know there are several here who can relate and actually know what you are experiencing. Lots of hugs being sent your way. Not fun, but you are a tough lady and will get through this!

witzend

DDD - I'm glad to hear that you listened to your body and got yourself checked out. Not sure which part of your body you're speaking of, but I hope that you will be well. I have been lucky enough to have not had this type of issue. I know that you will educate yourself as to all of your options, and do what you need to in order to keep yourself healthy and grow to a ripe old age.

DDD

Sorrry. It's the blankin' colon. Yeah...I have had colonoscopy tests according to Gov't recommendations. Actually, lol, I forget how old I am. I suppose something has to go wrong at some point. Meanwhile my husband goes for testing at Mayo for very similar symptoms tomorrow. The next week it is his cardiac issues. Sigh. DDD

klmno

I'm so sorry to hear this - even though I know you weren't asking for people to be sorry. I'm glad you've gone to the dr and you know what you are dealing with as soon as you possibly could. You'll be in my thoughts and I'll be behind you whatever course of tx you choose.

Last edited:

slsh

member since 1999
DDD - I'm glad that you're taking the time to make a choice. Knowing you, it will be a well-reasoned and thought out decision. I *will* send up prayers that the family will respect whatever decision you make. Wishing you peace.

TerryJ2

Oh no! I am so sorry. (I go in on Tue for my 1st test)
This whole topic is new to me ... don't worry, I'm too clueless to give advice.
I can tell you all about breast cancer, headaches, and Asperger's, though. :)

You sound pretty level headed about it.
I would ask your dr (or the surgeon) what the percentages are of people with-your EXACT kind of colon cancer in the EXACT SAME PLACE have of recurrence or complete remission. And consider not telling your family until you have decided which route to take. Because you know they are going to rifle you with-questions you can't answer.

Many, many hugs.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
DDD

Do yourself an enormouse favor, schedule an appointment with your fam doctor just to sit together and discuss your options. Nope, he's not going to be the one to treat you. Which is the point. Oncologist have a strong tendency to push treatment even when they know it's too late to do anything. Why? Because that is what they're trained to do, and sadly for many.......it's how they make their money. (it shouldn't be that way, but it is with many) Fam doctor knows you and is more likely to be honest with you.

Even if you do that, do your research. What are the pros/cons of each treatment option? Are the side effects worth the treatment? What are the odds of treatment being successful. (if they don't give you odds or make them too optomistic, be wary) Are you healthy enough to undergo treatment options? And attempt to speak to folks if possible who have already been there done that with each option.

I'm going to hope and pray that since you have been careful with your health that this was caught early enought that removal of the section is the most that would be required.

Hugs

DDD

You guys can count on the fact that I will investigate every option and the percentages. Bless her heart, lol, my easy child RN is the only one who knows (other than husband) and her message is "I love you and will give you 100% support no matter what you choose to do...cause you're the smartest most caring Mom in the world." Can't ask for better than that, lol.
DDD

Kathy813

Staff member
Thank goodness for easy child's. I'm hoping for the best possible outcome.

~Kathy

Last edited:

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
DDD

I forgot your daughter is a nurse. Sit down and really discuss this with her too, in depth. She loves you but as long as she knows you're serious (and it sounds as if she does), she'll give you the bald truth or help you find out.

And whether or not you want it, you're in my prayers.

Hugs

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I'm right there with your easy child. Whatever you do is your decision and I will pray that your family will accept it.

Also praying for you, because you never know what might help!

If you check out www.cancer.org they have all kinds of great information and help, support, respite etc. available. That's why my family supports Relay For Life.

:hugs: Just let us know how things progress (if you want to).

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Me, too. I'm so sorry to read this, D3. I am optimistic about a positive outcome and sitting on your shoulder to remind you of it.

Big, burly hugs to you.

Suz

muttmeister

Sending hugs your way. I know you will do your research and make the best decision for you.

My mother had colon cancer about 20 years ago when she was over 80. She did do the surgery and has been cancer free ever since; she will be 98 in September. Every case is different but I hope you can have the kind of outcome she did.

I'm sending good wishes, positive vibes, and, yes, a few prayers your way.

DammitJanet

DDD...your reasoning is probably why my father tried to keep his lung cancer from me for as long as possible. He probably thought I would have tried to influence him but I wouldnt have.

I am sorry you have found yourself in this situation and I will hold you in my prayers. I always have so I will continue to do so.

susiestar

Roll With It
I am so sorry that you are facing this. I know you will make the best decision for yourself. You have gotten great ideas here. Just know we are always here for you. No matter what.