Holding my breath this medication bump is working...

gcvmom

Here we go again!
We increased difficult child 2's Seroquel XR to 500mg and reduced Depakote ER to 250mg on Thursday night. No difference noticed Friday.

I let him sleep as long as he wanted on the weekend (which was past noon both days) so the day was kinda messed up and it was hard to really know what I was seeing. Today was a better test. He got up by 9:30 (after me bugging him at 8am and 9am to get up) and we went to a friend's pool from about noon to 3pm.

He did great with the other kids (not so great with difficult child 1, but that's a whole 'nother issue). He was a bit easier to redirect and he wasn't as hyperactive or impulsive -- still symptomatic but not as bad as he usually is by 1 or 2pm most days. Even this evening has been better, I think. I hope I'm not imagining things. psychiatrist said it would take 3 to 4 days to notice any change. I plan to call with an update by Wednesday. I still think he'll need to go to at least 600mg if we decide to stick with this medication.

And I don't know if this is because we've lowered the Depakote, but he doesn't seem to be in as much of a mental fog... the neuropsychologist told me he had significant processing delays when he was evaluated in April, and now I'm wondering if it was the Depakote. Last year was a struggle for him to get through his school work, and he never had those problems until we started down this mood disorder path and started MS's (he's been on AP's before and they didn't seem to affect his cognitive speed).

Perhaps if we can get Seroquel at the right level, he won't need the Depakote...

Something else interesting -- yesterday he suddenly wanted to play a computer game of his that he hasn't touched in MONTHS. We bought it when he was kind of manic and he was interested in EVERYTHING then, but he couldn't stick with anything. It's like he forgot about it or it suddenly became too hard for him to focus on it -- hard to say which. So yesterday and today he's been playing this game again. Not obsessed like he was before, but just normal interest and able to attend to it. Plus, he was able to install it himself, which he couldn't do before.

So I HOPE what I'm seeing is real here... that we're getting a handle slowly on the attention, the focus, the mood, the whole ball of wax. That would sure be great to be able to say with some degree of certainty.

smallworld

I don't think you're imagining things. What you're describing occurred with my son when we got Seroquel up to a therapeutic level for him. For us, it really has been the magic bullet. I hope things continue to improve for your difficult child 2.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Thanks everyone! Smallworld, I sure hope this is our magic bullet, too!

NO PHONE CALLS FROM CAMP TODAY!!!!

He did get two timeouts, but after talking to him and easy child/difficult child 3, it sounds like he really only deserved one. A pretty good day in my book. He was calm and focused when I picked him up from camp. He took his shower when he got home and didn't need redirection, didn't cause any issues with the sibs. Wanted to play his computer game, so I let him for about an hour. He went out to dinner with husband without incident.

He took medications at about 9pm after we watched a movie. He's still awake an hour later, but I'm hoping he'll be out in the next 30min.

This is starting to look pretty good.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
We just Difficult Child'd Depakote and bumped up the Seroquel about a month and a half ago. K is less severe and a bit calmer, as far as manic episodes. Our psychiatrist is still thinking of adding Lithium soon due to K's rapid cycling. But for us we have not had the hallucinations and death talk nor violence except for a few times in a couple of weeks.

BusynMember

Depakote caused severe cognitive dulling in my teenager, only she was old enough to express it and say "This *** drug makes me stupid. I can't think. I can't remember. I can't do my school work. I feel like a zombie." She tossed it in the trash. She refers to it as "the stupid pill." So it could very well be the Depakote causing the fog.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Toto, I'm glad to hear K's doing better with the medication adjustments. I hope stability is not far off for her. Any reason why psychiatrist wouldn't just put her on Risperdal as a daily medication? difficult child 2 was on this for a couple of years and it helped with his aggression and violence (never had the hallucinations you've had to deal with).

MWM -- I had read about the cognitive dulling with Depakote, but no one who saw difficult child 2 would confirm it. It was always "well, maybe..." He definitely seems more "alert" -- I can tell by the way he's expressing his thoughts, he's just more present in this world, if that makes sense.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
gcvmom
K has done Risperdal, it was her first medication almost 2 years ago. It caused severe agitation, tongue thrust, tics etc. It also seemed to peter out after a bit. We had pretty good luck with Abilify, but same thing, it increased her agitation after a bit and her movements were just too much.
Seroquel so far has been good...
I hope you get some answers, calm soon also!

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Well NO calls from camp again today and he only got one timeout (for something pretty minor, too), so I'm pretty happy. We are at a park right now while difficult child 1 has soccer practice, and I can see that difficult child 2 is getting wound up now. Not a whole lot of eye contact and he's impulsive and hyperactive -- but having fun playing tag (with younger kids, as usual) and swinging (LOTS of swinging).