Holiday Craft/Frugal Gift Thread!!

DDD

Yep, UAN those are the most valuable ornaments on our trees. My husband's "former" mother in law made these God awful ornaments with beads and sequins and stuff when she was in the nursing home. They are on our tree every year. I bought plastic "unbreakable" ornaments when the adult kids were toddlers. Ugly as sin. LOL! They are amongst the things that I am giving away this year. To heck with the expensive stuff. DDD

susiestar

Roll With It
DDD, your unbreakable ornaments reminded me of something. Ever since I was about 13, the bottom of the tree is always paper or plastic or felt ornaments. They are always designed to be cat safe because for some reason all of the cats we have had just ADORE the tree decorations!! We only have had one who climbed the tree, and she really surprised me one day because I wasn't expecting her to be laying on the branches when I plugged the lights in, LOL!!

DDD

Susie I am not a cat person but your story brought forth a darling image...until the lights went on! Funny. DDD

susiestar

Roll With It
Right now our Walmart has packets of seasoning for Chex Mix and they are FREE!!!!!!!!!! We have a display by the front of the store on the side wth the groceries and they have a box of packets of the seasoning right on two pallets of Chex cereal!!!!!!!!!!

DammitJanet

I must be way before my time. Last year we gave Cory our lighted Xmas tree and I passed down my pitiful little box of ornaments, sad that they were. Most of them were either ones that he had made when he was in different placements or just cheap ones I had picked up over the years so the only ones that had real sentimental value were the little origami ones he had made. For some reason the schools here didnt have the kids make ornaments. I dont decorate for christmas anymore at all.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
My tree has several homemade ornaments of the kids over the years. Well, then again, I might have given them to them already except for Travis to have for their own trees. My tree is a 4 ft that sits on a table with lights already on it (so I don't have to mess with them) and my boxes upon boxes of ornaments just would not fit, so I gave quite a bit away. I still have more than enough. lol

Nichole found something really cute at walmart for Thanksgiving. It was a turkey making kit that was really cheap. Was a stack of child size hands cute out of a plastic material with stickers ect for decorating. According to the box they have the same type of things for xmas too. The grands had fun making their turkeys while waiting on Thanksgiving dinner.

For the dogs, because even my pets get "in" to xmas................. I'm going to try to crochet up some frilly xmas collars with attached jingle bells. I can't find them to buy this year and they're usually expensive anyway. And it wouldn't feel like xmas to Molly without her xmas "clothes". Soon as I drag out the xmas boxes she's eagerly waiting her jingles. When xmas is over she is sad when I remove them. lol

susiestar

Roll With It
I love that Molly gets into the spirit of the season and loves her clothes. Since she seems sad to have them put away, why not make some for other holidays? Red or pink for Valentines, Green for St Pats, pastels for Easter, etc..... Of course wait until after xmas to start them, but I bet she would love them. I also think you could sell them on etsy or ebay or at craft fairs and flea markets.

I am a bit surprised this year because husband is into the spirit of making things. He found directions to turn 12 feet of parachute cord into a lanyard or bracelet (macrame project) but it is also easily able to be straightened if you need rope in an emergency. He and the kids are also doing duct tape wallets and some other things.

We are all going to town with some paint chips I picked up at Walmart. I am careful to only take what we will use, to not take more than one of a color, and to make sure that no one at the store minds.

Jess has some awesome ideas for rice bags, including wrist wrests that you can warm and use while you are on the computer, a model for your neck/shoulder, an eye mask, and even knee, leg and back versions that will have straps to hold them in place. We are going to hit the thrift stores for old backpacks, purses, etc.... to cut up for the straps, in addition to trying some straps that we are sewing.

I am starting a year round useful gift for my mom. I am getting material for each holiday, and some solid colors, and sewing them into cloth napkins. Eight napkins for each month, and on months with-o a major holiday she will get the solid colors. I am hoping to have 4-6 mos done by christmas.

I am also designing a cross stitch piece iwth the Hail Mary in Gaelic. My inlaws spend time in Ireland every year and this will be a companion to the Lord's Prayer that I designed and stitched a few years ago, also in Gaelic.

I LOVE all the ideas you all have!!!!!!!!!!! I think I am looking forward to the sales at Michaels and Hobby Lobby more than the ones at the other stores this year, lol!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Susie I just never thought to make her any for the other holidays. But she would love it. When she was a young dog she even enjoyed dressing up for Halloween. (we used toddler costumes) Molly has never realized she is my canine child, not human. lol

This is always such a fun thread. And I agree, I can't wait until my next trip to Michaels or Hobby Lobby. :)

DammitJanet

Im trying to crochet a diaper. Its not as easy as it sounds. I was going to attempt one of those diaper bags that lisa made but to heck with it, I found a perfectly good one at Walmart for $5 and it isnt worth my time...lol.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Kmart carries the washable baby doll diapers too and they're cheap. Got to snatch them up pretty quick though, they go fast. :)

Star*

call 911........call 911
I liked the vanilla idea.......I got the rum, forgot to get the beans.......and well....NEEDLESS to say........Craft time has never been more enjoyable for someone who is NOT crafty.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I saw somewhere, maybe here lol, about buying plain white coffee mugs, decorating with Sharpie markers, baking in the oven and they are permanently decorated. You can get the mugs really cheap at Odd Lots/Big Lots or the dollar store...

S

Signorina

I've done mugs...and (drinking) glasses...

I am creative - but don't have an ounce of artistic talent...so I started with CLEAR GLASS mugs and also goblets. I used glass markers - not sharpies. I am not sure if sharpies would work...I don't see why not... ANYWAY...I used my desktop publishing software to create the design and personalization I wanted, and printed it. I put the printout INSIDE the glass, and traced over it with the glass markers. They looked really nice and I never could have pulled off such a pretty design freehand.

FWIW - when PC15 & PC18 were in grade and middle school and had assignments that included "hand done" art project elements - i did something similar. We would design it on the computer and print it it super light gray,using the "coloring book" option (I used Print Shop). They would then color it in and hide the gray outlines and no one was wiser. difficult child and H have artistic ability, and sadly the PCs and I don't have a shred of it. I am not sure if schools still ban computer generated images for most projects. These weren't art assignments - usually they were diorama backgrounds, book reports, etc. shhhhhhh

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
From what I have found on the web, the Sharpies come off... Hmm. I'll try it and get back to you...

susiestar

Roll With It
Sharpies won't hold up on glass because it cannot be absorbed. You can get special paints for glass. You can also use nail polish (only on the outside and not up near where your mouth goes) and then cover with a coat of lacquer that is designed for glassware.

The idea for putting the design on the inside and tracing, or using very light gray and covering it is excellent. I have zero idea why a teacher wouldn't want that, esp if it is not an art project. I can see it for art class maybe, but for dioramas? I won't tell if you won't.

I used to paint designs on jackets and things for the kids. I would find a design I liked and print it out the desired size. I would put the design down and trace the outline with a sharpie. Then I cut out the shapes that the outline was one edge off, I cut the design so that the other sides of that shape were intact. I then traced the lines now exposed, and cut that shape out agan.

An example of what I mean is if I were doing the eye of a character - I would trace around the outside of the printed eye on paper. The I would cut away the outer edge down to the outline of the iris. Draw around that, and cut out to the inside of the iris/outside of the pupil. Draw that, and toss the print because I didn't need it. Does that explain it?

Anyway, once I had the outline drawn in sharpie, I would go and paint the area with acrylic paints mixed with textile medium. For a design to last on fabric, the textile medium is crucial. I get the little 2 oz bottles of acrylic paint - they sell for about a dollar, maybe a little more. The textile medium is sold in the same aisle, often in the same display. I never found a qualty difference between the cheaper brand of textile medium and the more expensive brand. I do find that the cheaper paints may need a second coat but except for black I still use them. I do buy the more expensive paint in black because the outline is quite important and a second coat can make it less sharp and defined.

One sort of off the wall gift I gave to myself was a bunch of unglazed terra cotta tiles. I got them to fit inside a cookie sheet. Some were four inch, some were up to twelve inch tiles. I put them on the cookie sheet and baked on them, careful so the dough didn't go over the edge of the tile. I couldn't afford the stoneware pizza and baking trays and I couldn't lift them safely either. With the tiles, I could adjust to smaller pans or only putting a few tiles on the pan. It gives the same results of a stoneware pan and far less weight for those with hand/neck/wrist problems. Just be sure the tiles are unglazed and you look online for how to care for your stoneware bakeware.

One fun project for those not inclined to sew a garment or knit/crochet is to personalize a sweatshirt. I have used paint to draw a tree by doing a loose outline and some horizontal wavy lines - the slick paints in the tube work well nd don't need textile medium as they are designd for fabric, or you can use the acrylic with textil medium. You want a basic outline NOT one that is filled in. Then you can sew or glue buttons, beads, etc... onto them. Of course you also need a star on top. I did one for my childhood bff and got buttons from clothes she wore as a kid. I knew her gma had saved them, and she was happy to send them to me. I used some of them on bags for her mom and gma also. I added things that represented things she liked to do, but you don't have to do that. I mixed the special buttons with various colors and types of beads. While I sewed them, they now have some excellent glues for this kind of thing. Just make sure to sew in a label with washing directions if you use glue. Back in the late 80's I sold several of these for forty to sixty dollars, depending on the size and how detailed/fancy they wanted it. People saw my shirt and the ones my family/friends made and they asked where I got them and would I make them. So I did.

You can do other, faster shirt projects. My dad loved funny shirts with sayings he could wear at school (he was a teacher, so PG at the most, pref G rated though). One saying that was a favorite was "Christmas is a weird season. At what other time do we sit around dead trees eating candy out of our socks?" I also did some with the kids' footprints. Each kid got a different color paint from a selection that would work on the shirt color (I used a dark grey sweatshirt and metallic gold, silver and copper paints). I put an old tablecloth on the table and had each kid (one at a time) let me put paint on their clean feet. They they walked across the shirt, putting their feet close together. Then they sat down and I removed the paint with baby wipes and then a warm wet washcloth. We did this on the table rather than the floor because that way they couldn't run off and get paint all over the floor. I painted "My Grandkids Walk All Over Me!" on the shirt and had the smallest footprints at the top, largest at the bottom. I also used a very fine brush to paint each child's name and age on one of their footprints, one that was off to the side.

This can be done on a tote bag or on paper to make gift wrap.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I have made sweatshirts a lot - I love fabric paint! LOL

I was thinking about the little handprint kits... Any idea where to get one? I was thinking for the grandparents, from Meggie...

susiestar

Roll With It
You can get them at most craft stores. You can also just buy the modelling clay or make salt dough and DIY it.

To DIY it, you could buy the sculpey type clay and roll it out to the thickness you want, then do her handprint and bake it. Then just glue it into a jar lid or tie ribbon around the edge and glue a hanger to the back of it (could be a loop of thread or ribbon).

I don't know if you want to make clay, but I can give you a recipe or three if you want. If you were willing to bake the print, you can mix a small amt of applesauce with cinnamon (will need a lot, check BigLots or dollar stores because cheap quality works just as well in this project) to make a clay. I usually mix in a generous squirt of Elmer's glue (NOT school glue - the all purpose white glue) because this helps it last and makes it stronger. Roll out the clay, make the handprint, and bake at 200 until firm but not cracked. It will smell wonderful and last for years. I have zero clue why this lasts for years, but I have some that are twenty years old.