Holiday open house

Lil

I forgot to say, if I were hosting an open house on a Sunday afternoon, I'd probably do munchies of various descriptions...you don't want to spend the whole times in the kitchen. Little rolls and good meats and cheeses, meatballs, cocktail party finger-foods; I think the quiche and Copa's other ideas are great! Think more High Tea than meal. And of course, pastries and cookies and candies...lots of fancy little pastries.

Calamity Jane

Since it's going to be a Sunday, you could do Brunch-type stuff, and I don't know if you're also having younger kids, but there are tons of recipes for non-alcoholic delicious holiday punches online.
Some ideas you may like (all or most can be prepared ahead). There are plenty of great recipes on line:

Stuffed mushrooms (make ahead and warm as needed)

Crudite & cheese platter with dip and hummus - so easy, all store bought stuff, put onto a pretty platter at home.

Shrimp cocktail (if you're near a Costco they have really good ones already made).

Quiches (make ahead and just warm up as needed), you can pre-slice them for easier serving.

Mini-sandwiches, like turkey, cranberry sauce and a shmear of stuffing on little brioche or potato rolls, warmed rotisserie chicken breast with swiss cheese and a little Dijon mustard, with some baby spinach on pretzel rolls, and tomato, basil and fresh mozzarella on crisp Italian rolls. This can be done a little while before your start time. You can line a tray with escarole or kale, and have the sandwiches all set up on top with pretty toothpicks and they're easy to eat while walking around. Bowls of potato chips, pretzels, etc. on the side.

A big mixed salad, with orange sections, some dried cranberries and croutons made from French toast (the croutons could be made way ahead and frozen). A carafe of raspberry vinaigrette on the side.

If young kids are coming, a take-and-bake supermarket pizza is great to have on hand and you could throw it into the oven and just cut small slices for the kids.

A nice assortment of desserts, a big cut fruit bowl, ice cream, and maybe one showstopper cake. People will probably offer to bring desserts, too. Coffee, tea, mulled cider, egg nog, punches (alcoholic and non), or a mimosa table set up in the kitchen.

Littleboylost

Long road but the path ahead holds hope.
on website: pastries like a pro there are pictures of a torta rustica with spinach , artichokes and red peppers. there are similar recipes on allrecipes.

one of these could serve 12 to 16 people. they can be frozen, defrosted in the fridge over a couple of days, and served room temperature.

i know these from trips to buenos aires. they sit out in the restaurant all day. i just loved these. if you made 1 or 2 and froze them it would make your prep easier. they would also keep (sit out over a few hours) better than many salads.

lbl. what are you making as an appetizer?
Oh I think these sound like a lovely idea. I do remember these. I have only been to Agentina once the food in Buenos Aires was devine.

I want to theme it for Halloween. So far I was thinking of bread with spinach dip cut to be coffin shaped with a few mini skeletons. Done his one before it starts cute and tasty. The other is a cheese and prosciutto in a hand shape. Creepy but yummy.
Castellon's Kitchen: Amputated Appetizer- Three Cheeses in Prosciutto

Last edited:

KTMom91

This is my go-to Halloween dip - the chunkier, the better.
image.png

Littleboylost

Long road but the path ahead holds hope.
Indeed it is I need to knock off and try to sleep. The cookies and snowman are easy peasy. Pre boroughs gingerbread cookies. Just decorated.

pigless in VA

Nomad, my neighbor gave my pre-lit tree a home. I did not want to figure out a way to move it to the farm. I am still moving. The good news is that I sold my other house. The bad news is that I have to keep moving and I now have a deadline.

Nomad

Staff member
Congrats on the sale!
Was in this position this summer!
Hubby gave away or sold our tree (wasn't pre lit though)
And the buyers wanted to close right away due to a loan cut off situation
Exhausting time
But all worth it in the end!
Hang in there!

Lil

You said Holiday and my brain went to Christmas! I had a friend who used to have a party every year. She'd decorate her house and set out a buffet. She'd label her things - like little smokies were baby fingers, chicken wings were bat wings, etc. I took severed finger cookies one year. I made the pumpkin for a church party. The flayed hand is great. This is my next planned offering if I get invited to another party.

Flayed Man Cheese Ball Recipe

One year for punch I used a mask, sealed the eye and nose holes up really good with duct tape and froze blue-tinted water in it. Floated in the punch bowl, it looked like a face. The next year we put dry ice in the punch bowl for the fog effect.

In case you can't tell, I love Halloween. But my ideas are usually pretty campy.
:witchcrafting:

Nomad

Staff member
These Halloween things are fun!!!! (Scary too) I've never seen anything like these. Very creative!!!

But, yes I do need Christmas ideas , recipes etc. for the Open House
I'm getting the impression people will likely expect special foods/treats. And reading these posts I can see why. Christmas is sooooo festive. I'm actually still a little nervous BUT at the same time more excited and happy about the fun and creative side to it.