Nomad

Staff member
ever been to one?
Been so long for me, I forgot.
I'm having one this season.
Afternoon.
Any advice!?
Been to one or had one?
What were you impressed with or didn't like?
Thank you.

Littleboylost

Long road but the path ahead holds hope.
Been to a few. I usually have one on New Years Day. I enjoy them. I always ask the hostess if I can bring anything to help out.

One I went to last year had a great Holiday game. Christmas was spelled out in the fire hearth on small $ store gift bags. Inside each bag was a holiday item. You had to guess what was in each bag and the one with the most correct answers once a small prize.

One we go to every year is the ugliest Christmas Sweater or Tie Party. That is fun as well.

I find a small theme is a bit of an ice breaker and fun.

My girlfriend had a coffee and candy bar set up. It was so festive looking and again glass jars and vases from the $ store to hold the candy. Decorative and yummy.

Copabanana

i haven't been to one in years. but i still remember: hot hard apple cider. lots of christmas cookies. dips and lots of snacks. a fire. relaxed. warmth. music. no favors or presents.

will you serve a meal?

i went to one with a honeybaked ham. buffet style. so delicious. i guess i am food-oriented.

Littleboylost

i haven't been to one in years. but i still remember: hot hard apple cider. lots of christmas cookies. dips and lots of snacks. a fire. relaxed. warmth. music. no favors or presents.

will you serve a meal?

i went to one with a honeybaked ham. buffet style. so delicious. i guess i am food-oriented.
Ahhh yes apple cider and mulled wine. How could I forget.

Copabanana

i love mulled wine.

lots of hot rolls. with butter. omg.

or for a latin flavor. empanadas.

pies.

i am driving myself crazy here.

what i am describing is a more homey event. you could look at a magazine or book like entertaining for something more upscale.

how many people would you anticipate?

Last edited:

KTMom91

Pie! Copa, you're making me hungry - and we just finished dinner!

I like the Ugly Sweater idea; Miss KT and her friends go out to dinner for their Ugly Sweater party every year.

You definitely need some kind of a theme. Hubby and I went to a Winter Wonderland open house one year. The hostess went with an "after ice skating/riding in an open sleigh" format, with hot cider, gingerbread cookies, and various finger foods, both hot and cold.

Speaking as someone who is not terribly graceful - please make sure the snacks are easy to eat while you're standing up talking to people! I have an awful time balancing plate and cup with foods that require both hands to eat, and I hate to put something down and possibly ruin a table or spill on the rug.

Nomad

Staff member
Thank you!
It will be a Sunday afternoon (long story on that one!)
I figure I should serve lunch or at least enough food that a person would consider it lunch.
I can't think of a time??
12:30-4?
1-5?
Any thoughts??!?
PLEASE keep ideas coming---all welcome!

Copabanana

i think 12:30 or 1:00 even is too early. i would think about 2 to 5:30, or the earliest, 1:30 to 5:30. maybe that's better. 1:30 to 5:30.

if people go to church, they would be home. people have a later breakfast on sunday. they will not have to cook dinner.

maybe think about one easy entre. like ham. or roast beef. with bread, rolls. and/or you could do quiche. a few salads.

my suggestions are so americana fifties. the only thing i left out was a jello mold. i did not know i was so conventional. you may be vegan! so many are now.

it sounds really nice, nomad.

Nomad

Staff member
Copa...Lol re jello mold !i guess that would be old school.
Love your ideas!
A nice amount of these people DO go to church.
So the later times certainly are a good idea.
Same with the foods . I can have a quinoa salad too. I don't know.
Sooooo appreciate these ideas!!!
Thank u

Last edited:

Nomad

Staff member
Try not to laugh...
How is Apple cider served? Punch bowl?
We always buy Martinellis sparkling Apple for holidays. But Apple cider seems the way to go
Anyone have any favorite party and or food recipe websites they like?

Copabanana

or hot mulled wine.

my friend would keep the mulled wine/cider in the big pot on the stove with a ladle. her house was an open plan so people were congregated throughout the house.

the site i would go to is allrecipes.com.

there is a great and easy recipe for tritip: santa maria tri tip.

as far as salads there is a broccoli one that has raisins i think (delicious), a spinach one (but has strawberries which i don 't know where you'd find) a pear blue cheese walnut one (excellent) and a roasted beet, onion one. all are great.

the quiches may be useful because you could make a quantity and bring them out as needed. they dont have to be real eggy. they are called savory torta in italy, i think.they sit on the buffet table like a cake or pie. my favorites are pumpkin or spinach.

you and your husband will have a good time auditioning this food.

how many people will you invite?

Last edited:

Nomad

Staff member
Thank u...
Did preliminary list and only came up with 27 people...seems a little small. Unsure???
We just moved to this area in the summer
Now we are out of town for a week (long story)
As soon as I get back I'll need to get the ball rolling fast
Including getting the tree!!!!! And invitations!!!!!
Love these ideas

Copabanana

nomad. why not give a set start time? say 1:30. people will not all arrive at the same time. that way you will have more control.

i do not think i would put an end time. people will leave according to your actions. like cleaning up. people know they cannot move in and stay forever.

i think 27 is a good number to start. over the next few weeks you will think of another half dozen or more.

Last edited:

Littleboylost

Copa you have succeeded in bringing back my appetite. Yum. All sounds so festive.

I love the ideas on all recipes. There are some great crock pot recipies also.

I have to take an appetizer for Sat nights function. Its also a costume party. Have to get cracking on that.

Copabanana

on website: pastries like a pro there are pictures of a torta rustica with spinach , artichokes and red peppers. there are similar recipes on allrecipes.

one of these could serve 12 to 16 people. they can be frozen, defrosted in the fridge over a couple of days, and served room temperature.

i know these from trips to buenos aires. they sit out in the restaurant all day. i just loved these. if you made 1 or 2 and froze them it would make your prep easier. they would also keep (sit out over a few hours) better than many salads.

lbl. what are you making as an appetizer?

Lil

My go-to website for every type of food is allrecipes.com. I LOVE it.

Pinterest too. You can't beat Pinterest for ideas.

I've started to say I'd never been to a Christmas party, but I guess I have. Many years ago, a good (well-to-do) friend who had this amazing house would have holiday parties. Open bar and lots of food, she's an amazing cook. You were requested to dress up - cocktail dresses, etc. It was really fun.

I've always wanted to host a Christmas party/open house. Maybe someday.