Holy moly!!!!!!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Do NOT tell me there is no God. A miracle has taken place.

For 2 yrs I have worried and fretted over my student loans because there was no way I could pay on them. husband ignored them. easy child was supposed to help me do the process to get them deferred........but she kept forgetting. And seriously? I kept waiting for them to come knock on my door to take me to jail, or at the very least, serve me with a summons. I had them do this to me over ONE class that husband didn't pay the bill.

So Nichole, helpful daughter that she is...............went in to defer my loan for me. Keep in mind, I have not paid ONE dime on it in 2 yrs.

And now for the miracle.

Nichole started yelling when she pulled up my account (we were on the phone together). So I'm thinking holy **** it's an outrageous amount..........But she's like MOM! THIS IS UNBELIEVABLE, TOTALLY UN-FREAKING BELIEVABLE!

So I'm like What?? What?? (and yes I'm panicking)

MOM! YOU'RE LOAN STATEMENT IS ALL ZEROS!!! SOMEONE PAID OFF ALL YOUR STUDENT LOANS!! YOUR BALANCE IS ZERO. 22,000.00 IN LOANS WIPED OFF THE BOOKS!! Just in March, my loans were all paid in FULL!!!

OMG OMG OMG!!!!

I don't understand it. (and yes I've printed the statement) I dunno HOW or WHY. But this is HUGE!

Ok. So while I'm now so utterly excited, because this is better than winning the lottery for me................Can someone explain it please? Because it doesn't make sense to me.

Travis' loans are not paid off. easy child's loans are not paid off. Nichole's loans are not paid off. So wth?

Now I will say I was really fretting about this one day and Travis told me that he heard that those who took nursing with low incomes the govt was paying off their loans to help them out. Now 1. I figured Travis knew squat about nursing 2. and I just blew him off as not knowing what he was talking about.......

Umm. So, looks like maybe he did??

So anyone have a clue or hear of such a thing?

I am NOT complaining. This is a massive weight lifted off my shoulders. You don't understand. Stuff like this happens for dead beats like katie........I never catch breaks like this EVER.

DDD

I'd be afraid to believe it, frankly. Remember that mistakes do happen quite often. on the other hand I sure hope this is a real miracle because you deserve one. Hugs. DDd

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
That's why I printed out the statement.

It lists two payments:

10/03/11 - 8,236.00 (I did not make this one either)
03/02/12- 22, 453.00

Brings the balance to zero.

I am sort of afraid to believe it. But this is done under my SS number with about a zillion security questions. So I dunno. Heck I don't know who to even ASK about it. It doesn't state WHO paid, just says the payments were made.

But at least it would prevent them from taking my tax refund........which is what I was fretting over. Right now I need every spare penny I can get.

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Hound--

It turns out that there ARE several different programs at the Federal and State level that will either forgive or repay student loans for nurses

BUT

it usually requires the nurse to work in an impoverished area for a certain length of time.

Were yiou supposed to have taken a job at a particular hospital upon graduation?

busywend

Well, I hope it is not the case, but there are times when a debt gets sold to a collection company. So, while the school got paid there could still be a debt in your name.

But, I really hope it is a miracle!

P

PatriotsGirl

Mine were written off when the school I went to closed and filed bankruptcy. I was doing the happy dance myself and have never had to pay a dime.

Did the college close?

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
That's amazing...word gets out and thousands of students will be switching their majors to nursing! Hahahaha~

I too would be skeptical, however. I am wondering if the wrong SS# was credited to your account. Maybe another student has a SS# close to yours.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I called easy child and she totally popped my bubble. She said it probably meant they moved the acct. So I started looking for other letters..........

Now (keep in mind my memory issues) I remembered getting something last month because it was really odd.....Dept of education and it was like 8 different letters/bills at once, all on the same day. I figured it was a glitch and put them away because seriously......what else can I do?......I can't pay them. So.......I will have easy child look at it, but from what I can make of it (and I DO have issues with forms) it appears it got "sent" to them?? And that billing for last month was ridiculous. Not only did I get 8-10 at once, they were all for different amts and balances. And folks I only have 2 loans. So that in itself doesn't make sense. And not one balance was correct.

So I'll hand them to easy child and see what she can make out of it. If she can't make any sense out of it, then I'll call them and see if I can get some info. I can't pay them. They'll have to just deal with that. Hell at this point I dunno if I can pay next months bills. So free room and board isn't looking too shabby.

buddy

Wow I sure hope easy child can help figure it out. Would be a blessing if it was paid though. Like winning the lottery

T

TeDo

Can you call someone to verify it wasn't just a computer glitch? Can you call the customer service number from the website or something?

InsaneCdn

TeDo... that can be a bit tricky... if it's an error, she'd instantly have them breathing dragon fumes down her neck...
Wish there were some other way to find out...

DammitJanet

Lisa, did they ever get the house loan taken care of? If they never got the house loan taken care of then it is time for you to get on the list for public housing in case you lose that house if your house payment is higher than rent would be in public housing. I have no idea what your house payment is. Sometimes if you put enough of a down payment down, you can have a pretty low house payment and its lower than rent would be.

As far as the student loans, they cant take you to jail. We dont have a debtors prison. You can just make $5 a month and they can go suck eggs. Now that does mean they will take your income taxes every year but if you arent earning any money every year to pay in, your refund isnt going to be anything anyway. Thats like me, I dont get a refund anyway so who cares! Cant get what I dont get...lol.

susiestar

Roll With It
Lisa, have you filed for disability and ssi? with no income for husband, you nEed to do this. with ssi they may write off your loans. otherwise you may need to file bankruptcy because the student loans. janet is right - if you mail them $5 per month they CANNOT sue you or try to seize any assets other than maybe income taxes. BUT your husband's death MIGHT give you an out - I know SoME policies have riders that if your spouse dies and you cannot work, the loans are paid off. A friends' husband died and she was unable to work and her loans were all paid off and she did not know she had that insurance on her loans. yes, they were student loans - she was in school with my husband.

don't stress over this. PLEASE swallow any pride tripping you up and FILE for the ssi/ssdi. Your kidney problems and the lingering effects of the Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) will probably qualify you, esp as there is no income from husband and easy child can pay you under the table. When you worked you paid into SS and this is NOT charity. you EARNED those payments by paying taxes, even if you don't have enough quarters to qualify for ssdi and only get ssi.

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Lisa, have you filed for disability and ssi? with no income for husband, you nEed to do this. with ssi they may write off your loans. otherwise you may need to file bankruptcy because the student loans. janet is right - if you mail them $5 per month they CANNOT sue you or try to seize any assets other than maybe income taxes. BUT your husband's death MIGHT give you an out - I know SoME policies have riders that if your spouse dies and you cannot work, the loans are paid off. A friends' husband died and she was unable to work and her loans were all paid off and she did not know she had that insurance on her loans. yes, they were student loans - she was in school with my husband.

Well, you cannot discharge Student Loans through bankruptcy. You could years back....but not today.

I would look into the insurance thing and the disability - that may very well give you an "out"...

DammitJanet

I didnt think you could discharge student loans through bankruptcy BUT...maybe you could find another way. This may be a sneakier way to go about it. See if there is any way you could get a personal loan for the amount of the student loans and pay them off and then file bankruptcy to discharge the personal loan. Yes it is sneaky but it gets the job done.

InsaneCdn

Trouble with that one, Janet, is that there is usually a required period of time between the acquisition of debt and filing for bankrupcy. Here, it's something like 3 years. Any new debt acquired in that time frame, cannot be discharged - it carries over. Only the old stuff gets discharged.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
All debt counts here, new or old, except student loans. Trust me, I've been through it 3 times due to medical bills.

Janet I couldn't get a loan if my life depended on it. My credit has been in the toilet for a while. Medical bills and no insurance and no real income (well more than to just barely meet the bills) and it takes it's toll fast. Bad credit doesn't bother me. I know that sounds odd but when you've been as poor as I've been as long as I've been.......you learn not to worry about it so much.

I'll have to call them. But I'm going to try to wade through this tax crud first and at least get it rolling on the back taxes. Then I tackle this one. Maybe, just maybe, I'll be lucky enough to get them deferred still. I'll just have to call them and deal with it as anything to do with what I have gotten in the mail or online is just confusing and contradicts itself. Heck I have 8 or so "bills" from them for the exact same due date that contradict each other. Like Janet said, it's hard to get blood out of a stone. And when I get a job, even if they garnish.....they have to allow you livable income.......which would pretty much be the paycheck as I wouldn't make that much around here. The most anyone could ever garnish husband for was 50 bucks a week and he made much more than I ever would.

And I'm this { } close to taking the small remainder of my nest egg out of the bank and filing for food stamps and whatever else they'll give me. I just hate to because it makes it much easier to pay bills and the house payment.

recoveringenabler

Staff member
HD, I had a friend who deferred her student loans with 'forbearance'. I just looked it up and here is some info for you:

Forbearance: If you are suffering an economic or personal hardship that is affecting your ability to make your loan payments, you may request a forbearance. Forbearance can allow you to reduce or postpone payments and possibly extend your repayment period. Forbearance usually lasts three to six months, and you may be able to renew it over a several year period. Note that even if you've postponed payments, interest will continue to accrue.39

My friend was able to renew this for quite a long time, I think it was a couple of years.

I hope you find an easy way through.............

DammitJanet

I do believe if you end up on SSI, your student loans end up being written off because your income is considered to low to ever pay them off. Also they cannot garnish SSI even for government loans. They can garnish regular social security disability but you would not qualify for that because you have not worked enough quarters for that in forever. You should qualify for SSI easily because of the kidney issues plus the depression, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) and your prior heart attack. Lay all that on as thick as you half to and get that assistance okay. Just do it. Plus get Travis' stuff started. Its well past time his was done. I know you dont want to do this but if you wont do it I will kick you in the butt and make you...lol. You can do a good part of it online.