Holy Zeus, I can't believe he wrote this

TerryJ2

difficult child is going to a Catholic school this yr. Many of you know that for summer reading, he read The Bronze Bow and wrote a report on it, as well as made a poster.

I found a questionnaire in his accordian folder about the book. It asked for the main idea, the values in it, etc. He did not know I found it. He HATES showing me anything in his backpack, even when it's required. He HATES to talk about school. So I just go through his backpack on my own, unless it's something in regard to his planner, which I insist we go through together.

I started to get excited when I read how he answered a question about the main concept by saying it was about love and kindness. Much better than when he told me he thought it was the fact that Jesus met with people in a secret hiding place and they could get caught. :confused:

But another question asked, "Do you believe in Jesus? What do you believe in?"
He wrote that he didn't believe in Jesus, he was just a man and a prophet (okay, I've got a budding agnostic here, I thought) and there is more than one god and I believe in ...
The Greek Gods.

Say WHAT?
BAM-BAM-BAM-BAM-bam (the sound of me, hitting my head against the wall) :sick::sad-very:

My husband, who is Baptist, thinks I'm making too big a deal out of it (although I have not discussed it with-difficult child, for fear I'll say something wrong and he'll light off) but it makes absolutely no sense to believe in Greek gods when everyone is taught that they were mythology. He plays a computer game that pits Greek gods against one another and I know that's where he got this whole idea. (And whoever wrote the program really messed up some of the profiles and definitions. They are so innacurate. An explanation of Achilles said you could choose which body part would be weak. Huh? What about his mother holding him by the heel when she was dousing him with magical water? Sorry, off-topic. ;))

I even talked to difficult child about this one day. I said, "What if you've got the god of thunder, but not the god of lighning? Or do you have two gods who are fighthing?" (he liked that idea, LOL!) "What if there's a hurricane? Is that one god or two? Or a completely different god?" (He was just telling me about the game. It had nothing to do with-religion.)
Okay, I admit, I'm the worst mom on the planet when it comes to parenting an Aspie.
:whiteflag:
But if he reads that answer aloud in class, the entire class is going to break out laughing. He'll never hear the end of it.

If he said he were agnostic, fine, in a Catholic school, they'd shake their heads and try to teach him their point of view.

But Greek Gods? What planet is he on?

DammitJanet

He is on the planet of video games! I cant remember how old we were when we read all the old greek tragedies? Heck, I cant remember them now! Maybe some age appropriate versions of the books are in order? Since he likes the Greek Gods so much ya know!

JJJ

I would so not worry about this. We are also Catholic and Eeyore has announced that he is Jewish. My cousin--who is 100% easy child -- announced she was Baptist. At 12, I declared God was a false concept only believed by those too scared or stupid to stand on their own. I think it is the age -- Aspie or not. Now if he starts practicing rituals to honor the Greek gods, then I'd be concerned but right now it sounds like he is exploring the idea of "what if...?"

JJJ

Have him watch Stargate SG1, he'll learn all those ancient gods (Egyptian, Greek, etc) are all false gods. As we all know, they were aliens :rofl:

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Well, given that I am agnostic though culturally Jewish, and husband was an unreonstructed pagan who followed both the Norse and Celtic pantheons (he pushed this through the military system until he was allowed to wear his pentagram and Thor's hammer...

Could be the boy's got his head screwed on straight, LoL. I've often felt that the worst thing you can do is to push a person towards a specific belief system.

Oftimes it just pushes them the other way (husband and I both grew up in religious Jewish households and rebelled. My grandfather is an Orthodox rabbi. All three of his children are atheists)

Multi-theistic religions are a lot easier to understand because you have various powers that be each of whom have a specific responsibilty.\

Sort of like what you'd see in real life.

HOWEVER, to truly understand a given religion, you have to read the writings in their native script, be it Hebrew or Latin or Aramaic or Arabic or Hindu.

Seems to me the child needs to study up on classical Greek, LoL

JJJ

Seems to me the child needs to study up on classical Greek, LoL

When Eeyore declared he was Jewish, we explained that okay, he didn't need to attend Catholic Religious Education anymore but we would enroll him in hebrew school as he was already late getting bar mitzvah-ed , and, oh, we would need to hold his bris ASAP. He changed his mind :rofl:

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Actually, teen or adult converts do not have to undergo a full circumcision (it's a physically rough surgery on an adult)

All that is done on an older boy/man is a ritual nicking of the foreskin. Just enough to draw a drop of blood.

I know this because my grandfather (a hundred years old!) is not only a rabbi, but in his younger days was also a "mohel" or ritual circumciser.

People get confused because so many different cultures practice circumcision as a "rite of passage" into adulthood.

Modern day mohels in the western world also request that bleeding times be checked. A child with any kind of bleeding disorder is exempt from the ritual.

I am still not really in favor of the act. husband was done the old fashioned way and needed surgery in his very late teens to correct scarring. His recovery was quite painful and he took a long time to heal up.

TerryJ2

OMG!!!

ROFL. :laugh:

Okay you guys. Just let me quit laughing and breathe a bit.

On a more serious note, sorry about your husband, GoingNorth. Ouch.

I love the part about telling difficult child he should study Classical Greek. Great idea. If one of his teachers gives him a reading assignment on the Greek gods, the foreward will say that it's mythology. That will help.

I'm not into forcing him into one religion or another. It's just that, believing in Greek gods is like believing in Pet Rocks.

I totally agree that it's a video game thing. I don't think they make Catholic videos, at least, anything that would compete with-Greek gods and their chariot races and thunderbolts. He will need something more interactive and "real" than the Bible, though.

I came home to a ph msg from one of his teachers. She said she wanted to talk about difficult child.
Didn't say specifically what.
Gee, I wonder if it's related to this?
I hate it when people leave you guessing.

They already called once today and said he had a stomach ache. That was the nurse's ofc, though. I told them to let him eat lunch and see if the burning in his stomach was just because he was hungry. So far, so good. At least, as far as his stomach is concerned.
Now, in regard to my stomach ...

KTMom91

I think having him learn more about his chosen religion is an excellent idea. At least it will get him reading. The only book Miss KT has read voluntarily is Alice in Wonderland. The huge, original, version.

introibo

Actually, the Greek gods do kind of fight each other in the Iliad and the Odyssey - by Homer - they are kind of comical in that they show their actual weaknesses and how they are NOT like what you'd expect gods to be like. Maybe your son would appreicate an age appropriate version of either of these - there are several versions - although I don't know if the kid versions give the full extent of the conflicts between the gods. (the real books are suitable for high school and older)

Christina

DammitJanet

Im pretty sure there must be cartoons about these things somewhere. As far as biblical video games? I wouldnt be so sure there arent any. Might be worth a google!

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I know I shouldn't laugh, but I am, because he sounds just like my difficult child 2.

I'm waiting for him to start talking about Santa again at school and have everyone start screaming with laughter. :( Last year he was assigned a paper where he had to write about an event that really happened to him and he chose our family tradition where "Santa" comes to my sister in law's house for a visit and some dessert, usually a week or so before Christmas. Since it's been the SAME elderly man and his "Mrs. Claus" every year since before my kids were born, it was easy for them to believe he was the real deal. Well, I'm pretty sure difficult child 1 knows what's up, but difficult child 2 wrote in his paper how Santa comes to see him at his aunt's house every year, and that he gets to tell him what he wants for Christmas and usually gets what he asks for. He is convinced the guy is real. As is the Easter Bunny, in his opinion. (That's what I get for leaving rabbit tracks down our hallway each year...)

And I know you read my post about his sincere belief in dragons and his desire to be a Pokemon... I just need to have him read more and have conversations to help clarify what he's reading, I guess. Reality check...

I'm starting to think this kind of perception is a genetic thing because husband's parents have some very strange views on things, and husband has an uncle in his 50's who is a bit eccentric with his Star Wars collecting... among other things (ummm, very unusual social skills, for sure).

Any way, it's not your fault, Terry! You're just gonna have to check in with him periodically to make sure he hasn't wandered off the path too far!

TerryJ2

Gcvmom, I don't remember that post on dragons. Wow. How did my difficult child miss out on believing in them?

He gave up on the Easter bunny 3 yrs ago. This past yr, he informed me that, "by the way, you didn't give me an Easter basket last year. I expect one this year."
"Why? You don't believe in the Easter bunny any more."
"So?"
"So, you still want the candy? And eggs? And you still want me to hide it?"
"Yeah!"

Ooooh-kay. :) Now that I recall, I put money in all the plastic eggs and hid them the yr b4. What kid is too old to hunt for money?

He's also really into the hide-and-seek stuff. One yr, the basket was in the fireplace. Another yr, it was in the dryer. One yr it was on a closet shelf. Another yr it was outside in a tree.

No wonder he sees a child psychiatric ...

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Well, about the dragons... he saw a video that was formatted like a documentary, but any rational adult watching it could see that it was purely fiction... in fact, it set up the whole story as a "what if" scenario. But difficult child 2 must have blinked or not listened when they said that, because he told me point blank that he believes that dragons truly are real. There was just no arguing with him, either. Finally, I asked if he would watch the show with me so that I could help him understand what they were talking about. As I started to point out the fictional aspect of the show, he got more and more annoyed with me -- I was ruining his fantasy, I guess. I'm not sure if he's willing to let go of it completely, but I've now learned that he can be a wee bit too literal in his thinking and we have to be careful about how things are presented to him. He would be a perfect "brainwashing" candidate, I'm afraid to say. :(

susiestar

Roll With It
This is not surprising to me. Wiz HATED the Catholic church. He is the only one of mine to be baptized as a toddler. Also the only one baptized into the Catholic Church. We had an awesome priest here in OK who agreed to baptize him with-o making me go through confirmation. I went to and was abused in a Catholic school for grades 1-6. I am NOT a believer. I won't go through a ceremony to say I am. But husband IS and he felt it was important. So I agreed and got my aunt and uncle to be his godparents (husband does not have any Catholic relatives other than his dad and stepmom) and planned it all in less than 2 weeks. The relatives were coming in for a visit so we were able to skip the classes. Aunt and Uncle are both on various boards and committees for the church my dad was raised in and is half made up of relatives. So they didn't have to do the classes.

Wiz once posted on a website like facebook that we had him exorcised as a three year old and the Holy Water burned like fire and left scars on him. He put pics up of some scars he created while he was cutting.

I was furious. This child would SCREAM through entire services so we had to be in the "cry room" that has the service piped in but is sound-proof from the church. He could be heard all the way across teh church even with all the doors shut!! At age 7!!!!

he scared other kids so they wouldn't go into the cry room. The priest actually asked us to NOT bring him back ever again. It was really embarrassing and husband and father in law both thought it was a HUGE insult and that Wiz was going to burn in Hell for eternity.

Now he says he is an atheist or a Wiccan. Depends on the day. As long as he doesn't hurt anyone, any animal, or destroy other people's privacy or purposely destroy their peace of mind, I don't care what his beliefs are. They are not my business.

With your difficult child's new school, I can see your worries. Hopefully he will not be the first non-Catholic child who attends and they can understand that he is of a different mindset. Make a point of telling him that it is very important to NOT make fun or put down or make remarks of any kind about the Catholic religion or any religion even if he does not believe in that religion.

My parents insisted on Catholic school until age 12. Then we could make our own decisions as long as there were some factually correct reasons for why we chose that religion.

I hope he does not shoot himself in the foot socially over this. But it will be a way for him to learn about tolerance if nothing else.

There ARE a number of video series aimed at Catholic children. Some, like Veggietales, are generic to most Christian religions. Others are more specifically Catholic. This link is to Cath videos for kids but you can also find some for teens on the site. https://www.catholicvideo.com/searc...next&name=Children%27s Programs&_start=11

Last edited:

ThreeShadows

Quid me anxia?
Terry, check this out:

[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nova_Roma[/ame]

Maybe he could convert to Jupiter et al. These are ADULTS! Read the section on their religious beliefs. I was enrapt by Bullfinch's Mythology when I was a child. I used to get my classmates to reenact the old stories during recess. Those myths are wonderful and very archetypal.

Your boy is a hoot, he hasn't been indoctrinated by the Church all these years and he's ALREADY in rebellion!

DammitJanet

GCV...what do you mean dragons arent real? We have real dragons here in this world now! Just like we have dinosaurs still living among us. Ever heard of the bearded dragon and the iguana? Yep....thats it. They may just be smaller but they are still dragons and dinosaurs! And my Iggy just shook his head at me as if to say Yes sirree bob...lol.

TerryJ2

Wow, the stuff I learn on this bb!

I am so sorry about your scenes with-Wiz, Susiestar. And I'm sorry about the intolerant priest who had no other resources to offer.

I'm a bit confused (as is he) as to how he can alternate between atheist and Wiccan. A world apart. My gut says he will end up believing in something and that he likes the supernatural part of it.
Amazing, the story about the exorcism.

Susie, there are lots of kids attending this school who are not Catholic. Probably 30-40%. After difficult child attended his first mass at the school, he told me that everyone had to walk up to communion regardless of beliefs, but only Catholics could actually receive it. The non-Catholics had to cross their hands over their chest sort of like an X, and the move out of the line. I've never heard of that b4. When I was a kid, you just stayed in the pew.
Maybe it's a way to ensure uniformity, and to make sure kids aren't throwing spitballs or flying paper airplanes in the pews while everyone else is up front. ;)

Your boy is a hoot, he hasn't been indoctrinated by the Church all these years and he's ALREADY in rebellion!

I know, I know. ROFL! Yeah, he was in rebellion the instant he was born, so this should not surprise me. :)

I can't get the link to work. I'll have to go through Explorer. AOL is not a good search mechanism, even when I switch to Google. Looks interesting.

Ever heard of the bearded dragon and the iguana?

Now that's a good point, Janet!
:)