Home Again!

:smile:

We made it home safely. I had already re-registered under my new name before coming in to see how everyone was.

And learned I never had to change all that at all! The hardest part was trying to find another derivative of Scent of Cedar.

And Kathy?

I did consider Cedar Something!

:grin:

Oh well, here I am again, anyway. :smile:

Now, to read through the posts and see what you all have been up to!

Barbara

Ah. I forgot. Someone had wondered where "home" was.

A little lake in Wisconsin.

DDD

Oh.......to be a teen again, sking on Lake Minocqua.......and tossing beer in the woods every night! Geez, I loved my youth!
DDD

Kathy813

Staff member
Welcome home, my friend. It's good to see you.

Have you checked the deck yet for giant spiders?

~Kathy

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
<span style='font-family: Comic Sans MS'>"A little lake in Wisconsin." Isn't that a synonym for heaven?

Glad you are back at your "post"......</span>

:kisses:

PonyGirl

Warrior Parent
Welcome home, Barbara! Bit chilly this morning?!

DDD! <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">sking on Lake Minocqua </div></div>
I'm about 40 miles south of there!

I love when the world gets smaller!! :grin:

Peace

Sue C

Barbara -- Welcome home!!

DDD -- We stay at a resort on Lake Minocqua once/year when we go up to a biker rally near there where husband is a vendor airbrushing leather jackets.

PonyGirl -- The world got really smaller when we met at the biker rally, didn't it? And I remember it made both of us feel like we were hugging the entire group here!

Sue

DDD

It has been 18 years since I went to Minocqua. Somehow it was
a big mixture of a trip down memory/family lane and the shock
of the development that has settled in since my last trip in l964. I was thrilled that the popcorn stand was still there.
We pigged out at Bozacki's (spelled wrong, I'm sure) where all
my siblings and I pigged out on sundaes as a kid. I watched the
Minoquabats perform and got teary eyed and nostalgic recalling
the joy of being that young and "managing lines" for the show.
The family funeral home is still in business there and I spent
an hour at the church by the lake, loving the opportunity to relive the peace of praying in an empty Catholic church and hearing the ski boats going up and down the lakewise outside.

Probably we only have three cousins who still live there year
round. I think a few of the relatives still have the lakeside
places that have passed down to the younger generations.

What pleasant memories....and I ADORE Milwaukee and the German
food at Karls. Yum Yum. DDD

It IS a small world really, isn't it.

Pony and Sue C? Our lake is further north and all the way on the other side of the state. We are something like an hour south of that smallest tip of Lake Superior.

Kathy, I thought and thought about you as we passed through Atlanta.

And Sunny, of course I thought about you as we passed through your area! :smile:

It's just a wonderful thing to know you all are out there.

When we were in Texas last year, I thought about Fran.

So...anyone want to hear about the adventures of coming home to a log house in the woods after a six and a half month absence?

Heh.

I thought so! :smile:

Well...the night before we left for our trip South, the washing machine plugged, and water spilled into the (carpeted) bathroom (again). That would be the same bathroom the cats urinated in that year that pigless had so much fun laughing at the odors in my bathroom when it was my month to host the ladies from my Book Club and I wanted to know how to get the cat smell out of the carpet.

Remember when she began calling me "Scent of Cat Urine"?!?

And now, I hardly "see" pigless at all anymore!

Well, anyway. So, the bathroom flooded (again) just before we left last Fall.

So, we knew we had that to deal with when we got home. What we did not know was that the house itself had flooded when there was a thunderstorm here and, as the ground was frozen, the water had nowhere to go but up.

So, the white carpeting in the living room was stained a deep, reddish brown about three feet out from the tile entryway and kitchen area.

Know how I got it out of there?

Half water / half hydrogen peroxide in a carpet shampooer.

So far, so good, then.

Etched into the tile in the dining room is the perfect impression of an animal about a foot long by maybe seven inches wide. Here is the interesting (and eerily spooky!) part.

There is no hair, there are no bones. It is obvious the creature disintegrated (at least for awhile) on the dining room floor.

But where did the body go?

The man who was watching the house for us says he removed no corpse larger than a mouse (of which, he assures us, he removed a great many!).

There was alot of soot in the fireplace and the screen was open. So, even though husband had closed the vent and insulated that opening with fiberglass, we assume that is how whatever it was got in.

And here is the sad part.

The wood around the patio door in the dining room is gnawed in two places where the poor thing tried to get out.

But...where did the body GO?

The bats are back. I will have to get out my bat extrusion devices, again. (If anyone wants to know how to get rid of bats, I am the champion bat removal/extrusion person!)

The mice had themselves a wonderful time while we were gone. Their little nests are in the strangest places, and there are caches of sunflower seeds everywhere. The robe I put on this morning? Had some in the sleeve.

Spooky!

There must have been one in the television. husband loves television, and has this big screen one? So, there he was the first night we got home, with the carpet stained and the washing machine plugged and the water backing up into the (carpeted) bathroom and...all at once ZAP.

And the television blanks off NEVER TO COME ON AGAIN.

We think a little creature must have elecrocuted himself in there.

It happened to us before, too ~ not with a television, but with an electric heater. When we took the cabinet apart to replace the heater? There was an electrocuted body of a mouse in the wiring.

So.

Living in the woods is not for sissies.

As we begin to venture out to the dock, I will have to see whether those spiders I sent to Georgia last year stayed there or whether they decided TM's house in New York was more to their liking. (HA!)

But I definitely will check, Kathy. I am sure I heard spidery whisperings about Georgia, down there by the dock last summer ~ especially the Atlanta area.

Which I strongly encouraged, having been through that area myself once or twice.

And finally, this is woodtick season in northern Wisconsin. (I know ~ sometimes I wonder why I ever came home at all!!!)

But out the window right now? I am watching an eagle swoop down over the lake, and everything is beautiful and smells so sweet.

Well, except for the bathroom carpet.

Heh.

Barbara

jbrain

Hi Barbara,
well, I think I am definitely a sissy! I could not cope with all of that I am sure! Glad you are getting the place back in order and I am sure it is beautiful there, very peaceful and relaxing I would think.
Take care,
Jane

KFld

The mention of the bats is enough for me. I hate any kind of little creatures, they freak me out!!!!

We have a log home in VT backed up to state forest, but it's far from living in the woods. We are on a main street and have a nice view of the lake which is a few streets over. Close enough to the woods and creatures for me :smile: We've left it for months at a time and have never even seen signs of a mouse.

SunnyFlorida

:rofl: OMG Scenty.....are you honestly saying you left a wonderful condo near the beach where it's sunny, warm, and blue to go to mice, spiders, and bats? :smile:

Welcome Home :bravo:

SunnyFlorida

Barbara, there's a song out there on the County station that sounds like it's perfect for a welcome home party for you and husband. It's by Brad Paisley. Basically the chorus is "I jest wanna check you for ticks" :smile: