Home Instruction Question

flutterby

Fly away!
SpEd Director then responded with: "Should I move home instruction to the high school?"

I responded: "You do what you think you need to do, SpEd Director. As will I.As the lady at the State DOE said, "It really shouldn't be this difficult", and that "one person of the IEP team cannot make a decision on her own". She advised me to proceed with mediation and to stay in a part of the library where I am visible to my daughter. "

SpEd Director responded: "I agree that it should not be this difficult to schedule and proceed with home instruction sessions. I have been involved in mediation with other parents and it can be a helpful process."

I responded: "I'm sure it can be, which is why I requested we proceed with mediation two days ago. Regarding scheduling, Homebound Teacher seemed to get confused about what had been discussed and what hadn't. When she had to canel on Friday, I asked her to call me when she was feeling better so that we could reschedule. Nothing was ever discussed about having a permanent 5-7pm on Tuesday. In fact, she got confused about the time from the first Tuesday to the second. I have no idea where she got the idea that we had settled on the 5-7pm time. Especially considering that the last time we met was on a Wednesday, what was supposed to be from 1-3pm, but ended up not starting until 2pm.

In addition, my daughter is currently experiencing severe anxiety, and auditory hallucinations with intense fear and panic. Multiple studies have shown "significant positive effect of parent participation on diagnostic status, symptom level, or global functioning outcome measures," in child anxiety. I am trying to ensure that my daughter has the best possible outcome, which is why I have requested to be visible or to "observe". I am not sure why this is so difficult a concept."

T

TeDo

Good for you for sticking to your guns!! *pats flutter's back* I am glad that you pointed out that they can't change the location of the homebound services without TEAM approval! I don't care when you can get the note, do it. I don't see this getting any better before then. If I didn't know better, I'd say my sd personnel moved your way but, sadly, mine are still here. SIGH Keep looking for an advocate and anyone else you can find to drag to an IEP meeting IF they are dumb enough to call one to change locations just to keep you out. Poor difficult child. I know that kind of anxiety all too well. {{{{(((HUGS)))}}}}to you both!!

buddy

I don't care what the IEP or the teacher says. I did this exact same thing with difficult child 1 in May. The SpEd teacher pulled me aside (we were in the library) and said she would really prefer that I not attend because they need to build a rapport with him and yada yada yada. I looked her in the eye and said "he is homebound for a reason and if he needs me to feel comfortable being here, I WILL be here as long as he needs me". The principal called the next day and said the same thing SpEd said. He got the same response. As my advocate said, the library is a public place so it's not like they can do anything about it. At the last IEP meeting the last week in May, the SpEd admitted that difficult child 1 would have never even showed up if I hadn't been there and thanked me for being there.

Since difficult child is homebound because of anxiety and needs you to be there, BE THERE.

YUP, public library.... you go. I think it is good if she can have some space but only if she CAN no point in the whole thing if she shuts down. DUH

svengandhi

Maybe you should email this teacher each time you schedule a meeting and cc the sped director so that if an error occurs, you have proof that it's her mistake and not yours.

THis is so bizarre. I have never heard of so many obstacles being put in front of a homebound student.

DammitJanet

heather...this is idiotic. Worse than we had with the invisible homebound teacher. At least there, we all knew what that was.

Have you considered your home as the place of instruction? I realize you may be a bit leery of having a school person in but I have been to your house and you have nothing to worry about. You have a lovely place. difficult child might be less anxious there too. And...danged if you cant be anywhere you want in your own home!

I also dont get this because when they wanted to have Cory do this they wanted me to be there because they would only be doing it for a few hours a week so obviously there is much more work the kids have to do on their own. That only makes good common sense that the parents have to be involved in some of the actual teaching. I mean who are they kidding? If a homebound kid can learn what they need in 5 hours a week, why are we sending the rest of our kids to school everyday for 6 or 7 hours a day 5 days a week?

T

TeDo

Janet, I know here homebound instruction HAS to be done in a neutral place. It can't be at our homes or on school property. We went throught the same thing Flutter's dealing with. They backed down, I stayed within eye-sight but not intruding, it didn't go at all like THEY thought it should. They forget (or don't want to accommodate) they're doing it for mental health reasons and not medical. After all was said and done, they realized (and acknowledged) that NOTHING would have been accomplished if I hadn't been there. difficult child 1's anxiety was through the roof. It was a great TOLD-YOU-SO in our case.