Homelessness & Hearts

nlj

I just saw this on FB and thought I'd post it here......it really gives a different perspective.....

http://www.idealistrevolution.org/h...hing-about-themselves-that-will-surprise-you/

Great link RE.

I wonder what my son would write on his piece of cardboard?:
a) "I was a grade A student and have a university degree" or
b) "I'm living like this because I think everyone should be able to live free" or
c) "My mum is a Maths teacher and my step-dad is a professor but I've chosen to reject all that academia and "work ethic" and live outside society and expect them to accept that and still be proud of me." or
d) Something else?

(my guess is b)

This would make an interesting thread. What would all our kids write on their bits of cardboard?

Last edited:

2much2recover

Mine would never be homeless....................she has way too many tricks up her sleeve to be homeless.
She has a brilliant legal mind and has beat, on her own, HUGE Corporations (and their attorneys) on the smallest of legal technicalities.
If she did have a sign there would ABSOLUTELY be no truth behind it whatsoever - and God help the person who "helps" her - cause she will take them for everything they have.

Lil

What would all our kids write on their bits of cardboard?

"No one understands me."

"Everyone lets me down."

"I deserve better."

Or maybe, "Fighting with my parents." That's what he told the shelter when we took him there. I don't think "fighting" quite sums it up.

Whatever he wrote, it would be someone else's fault. :( One thing I'm very sure of is he really does not understand that his life is what he's made it and only he can change it.

Tanya M

Living with an attitude of gratitude
Staff member
But last night I felt something odd and new........... I genuinely FORGOT about him. I mean, really FORGOT about him. Like, nearly FORGOT I had a son. Not really, but..........do you know what I mean?
I think this is a very normal response after time has passed. I remember my son in my prayers but other than that days can go by and I don't really think about him. It's not that I don't love him or wonder how and what he's doing I just really think that so much time has passed, those long periods of time where I do not have contact with him that it's a natural course and it's ok. I guarantee my son and probably many of our adult children also have long periods of time where we do not enter their thoughts.

It is hard to know that my son is homeless / couch surfing. I have always had a special place in my heart for those that are homeless. I worked in the downtown area of a large city for many years and would see homeless people everyday. I did learn to discern some differences in them. There are some that truly are scam artists while there are many that are high on drugs or alcohol, some can be very mean, some are very grateful. It was hard to see this every day and I learned that you can't help them all. Many people would just completely ignore them which I always found sad. There was a hotdog vendor downtown and you could get a 2 hotdogs and a soda for $1.50 so many days when I would pass someone who was begging for money I would stop and tell them that I wanted to buy them lunch. Some would be very rude and walk away or yell at me and others would be so grateful. I tried to never judge these people, just show them a little kindness.

I think back on all those people I used to see and now have a deeper understanding of how they ended up that way. I understand it because my one and only child is now one of them. He teeters from being homeless to couch surfing. It's hard to know that my son ended up this way but I do understand that it is by his own choice. I know that my husband and I did everything we could to try and save him, to try and direct him and in the end he wanted nothing to do with us, he wanted to live his life on his terms. I have come to accept that.

I guess I'm hoping there is a "karma thing" in that I have shown compassion to homeless people that there will be people out there that will show my son some compassion. He has made it clear that he does not want the help I have to offer so I pray that someone will cross his path that will help him to see there is a better way to live his life. I hope and pray that for ALL of our adult children.

Echolette

Regarding the cardboard placard..my son's would say "I'm OK, thanks" "I'm not all there" "I'm doing pretty well" and "looking for work"

Ironbutterfly

If focused on a single leaf you won't see the tree
My son has been homeless many of times. One thing I love about him is that he dresses like the homeless when he doesn't need to do so. He preaches the Lord to the homeless. He has brought many people to the Lord. He goes to the malls and stops and talks to people. His Christian friends are amazed at his courage to do this. He sits down and has a meal with them. He said, he dresses like they do, for acceptance. He said all good people just give them money but never take the time to sit and talk with these people. Not even about the Lord, but just and talk. I explained to him how our church is involved with the shelter and serve food. I said son, you have a gift, not everyone has that gift, to be able to sit down and just strike up a conversation, not knowing if you are prying, being too personal, or will offend. I said, there are those who can give financially or otherwise, and then there are those who have the gift of gab, with the homeless folks.

Husband and went to dinner one night and there was what looked a homeless man sitting at the bar. We walked over and asked if we could buy his dinner. He got angry and defensive and said "Do I look like I need someone buying me a meal". It took me aback. I didn't even know what to say. I said, my apologies and walked away. Looks can be deceiving,

I have helped homeless giving money here and there, buying them coffee and even gave them cigarettes when I saw them picking up butts on the sidewalk. I was at stop light and had a full pack in my car, I rolled down the window and said here you go. He was so joyful and appreciative.

I gave my son to the Lord many years ago when he was homeless, not listening, not wanting to change, not wanting to find help for himself. The Lord has brought many people into his life that has kept him safe, place to stay, food, clothes, etc. Right now, he is not homeless and seems to have calmed down from the drama the last 7 months. I pray, for the calm to continue, but yet, I know deep down, the storm will rise again at some point but I have my boundaries in place now, thanks to this place and many wonderful folks here who are waking the same path as I am.

Ironbutterfly

Oh and forgot to add, my son knows how to scam the churches, for gift cards, food, money, etc. Whenever I would refuse to give him money in a crisis he was having, he would say fine I guess I'll go scam a church. He got gift cards and was selling them on the street. I told him, you know keep on giving the Lord the middle finger by scamming the Churches and one day God will turn your heart cold for him.

Our church doses freezer bags with hygiene products in them and pass them out to homeless folks. They also do Soles for Souls, used or new shoes donated get distributed to shelters and homeless folks.

Ironbutterfly

I am sorry wanted to share one more thing. There is a gal in our town who stands with a sign I love Jesus, homeless donations appreciated.

Well, when I go thru drive up, I ask about her. They say, oh she really is not homeless her boyfriend, who drives a nice car drops her off over yonder and then takes off. Told me they have offered her a job and she declines it. I was going to buy her a meal, but when I heard that, no way. I never give to anyone on the freeway ramps holding a sign. There was an article that said these folks most likely are scammers and they make around 50K a year and rotate in groups and split the money.