Homemade yogurt?

KTMom91

I got a lot of milk from freecycle, and I thought this might be a good way to use it. Has anybody ever made their own yogurt? Some of the recipes on the Internet sound really difficult.

ThreeShadows

Quid me anxia?
I used to make it in Maine. We had an old professional Garland stove. I loved that thing. It had a griddle with a pilot light. I just put plain yogurt into a bowl of milk, left the bowl on the coolest part of the griddle. it would set up and I refrigerated it.

It tasted a lot like the yogurt we had in France, more sour than Americans might like. It was also more liquid.

Did you see that homemade yogurt has its own FB page where you can ask questions?

susiestar

Roll With It
I haven't made it in years but it wasnt that hard. To get the texture of commercial yogurt you may want to add some unflavored gelatin dissolved in water to the yogurt near the end of the process. I hate the flavors of flavored jello, but I know a family that flavored it that way (partly to get the fruit flavor of the jello and partly to get the sugar subsitute from sugar-free jello). If you like the thick and creamy yogurt you would add more gelatin.

One easy/great thing to do is after you make the yogurt, line a sieve wtih cheesecloth and put it over a bowl. Let the yogurt sit on the cheesecloth and it will become a soft, spreadable cheese texture. It is usually great if you add garlic and herbs or your favorite spices or even cinnamon, vanilla and a bit of sweetener. It can go on toast, bagels, even as a way to increase the calcium, etc... in macaroni and cheese.

If you don't have a sieve, use a bowl or jar and secure the cloth with a rubber band tight around the top of the bowl before you put the yogurt onto it. It can take anywhere from 4 to 24 hrs in the sieve to get the consistency you like (do this step in the fridge).

Jody

You guys are amazing!!! I am telling you I am sitting here floored that anyone would even try it. LOL. Lot's of work and I'de never get it right. Let me know how it turns out.