Honey Boo Boo

Calamity Jane

Anybody out there love that show as much as I do? Yes, it's an exaggerated train wreck, but they're a family that really seems to love and enjoy each other, and Honey boo boo seems very comfortable and genuine and not at all bratty.
I've never seen Toddlers & Tiaras, so maybe I have the wrong perspective. My only problem is that the family enthusiastically eats road kill. OK, that's a big problem for me, I'll admit it!
Anyone else see the show?

bby31288

I watch it. Like it. But...have some issues. For instance the mom June has a bad foot. She showed her toe and there are gnats flying and sitting on it. That is so gross. I do believe that honey boo boo is a very loved little girl and has a wonderful personality. The mom says beauty comes in all different sizes. The scenes on the couch the dad seems like he is really drugged out. When his eyes are open they are barely open, bloodshot and glassy. And please someone get that woman to an eye doctor!

Kathy813

Staff member
I watch it and find it funny but sad at the same time. Please don't think all Georgians live or talk like that. As far as the toe and the gnats, they live below the gnat line (south of Macon) and gnats land on everything. That is why they are always swatting away bugs. I couldn't live below the gnat line. That is one reason I hate to go visit husband's family in south Georgia.

Honey Boo Boo is on her way to a lifetime of obesity if that family doesn't change their lifestyle. Early pregnancy is also likely just like her mama and older sister.

~Kathy

DDD

Sorry, I literally can't watch that. Honestly I value diversity but even watching the commercials makes me feel like I am party to child abuse. There's no doubt that there is not physical abuse but perpetuating unhealthy lifestyles and rude inappropriate behaviors???...falls into the abuse category in my head. DDD

CrazyinVA

Staff member
I watched it once out of curiosity, and lasted 10 minutes -- they lost me when they showed the crusty ick underneath the mother's neck folds. Its just too exploitative for me.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I caught easy child watching it last night and I asked her why. She said, "Because it's hilarious". I couldn't DISagree more. I'm surprised Dr. Phil hasn't jumped all over that opportunity, lol. I can't stomach watching that or anything like it. I find it extremely disturbing. Just my opinion, but then, I'm not a big tv watcher anyway.

Last edited:

tiredmommy

I watched it once to see what the fuss was about. I felt like these were basically good people but that they were purposely being shown in a light that left them open to ridicule and derision. I feel especially bad for the kids because this may color people's perception of them for the rest of their lives.

Calamity Jane

It is sort of demented. It must be tempting to have that kind of money dangled in front of you, money that you would never in your life ever really earn, but you go into it knowing the more disgusting or outrageous you are, the more successful you'll be. If you ever see the Kardashian's they're just as outrageous, but they look prettier and they live in a beautiful home, but it's basically the same show: the Dad is a goofus, the Mom is loving but obscene, the kids are doing what they want to do. I guess that's the formula.
There's another show called Big Ang. It's truly scarier than anything I've ever seen. If Honey Boo Boo makes Georgia look bad, Big Ang makes NY look really bad. It is a spinoff of some Mob Wives reality show. She is from NY, she has had all kinds of weird plastic surgery, she really looks like a transsexual ex-con - she has a gravelly, profane voice, she's dealt cocaine, her son was in jail for drug dealing - and it's all a big joke. In her case, I don't think the producers need to tell her to ramp it up...I think they tell her to ramp it down!

DDD

And then.......LOL.......I've seen commercials where grown men DARE each other to do/say vulgar things and their friends laugh and laugh at the outcomes. OMG! How could anyone enjoy watching adult males being vulgar and showing off like twelve year olds!!!! DDD

Really, I swear, I do find somethings entertaining on television. Really, I do.

BusynMember

I have a problem with people who exploit their kids to get famous, especially when they are subject to ridicule. This includes even families that tell the world about their problems on Dr. Phil,l a show I also don't watch often. I kind of cringe at almost ALL reality shows and in the back of my mind I always wonder if they are actually scripted.

Having said that, Jumper likes the show :)

DammitJanet

They were just renewed. This show just proves to all the people who claim that beauty pageants teach girls that all that is important is how pretty and thin they are isnt true. Honey Boo Boo is neither.

I never saw much of the show except for a few bits of the show as I channel surfed until the other night when Tony and I were sitting down and he said he wanted to see what it was all about because everyone was talking about it. He was appalled. Now we live in a hick town no doubt about it. We dont even have all our teeth...lol. We dont play games about smelling each others breath for fun. I wouldnt get on TV and talk about the rust on my neck. I did see a part where the father took the little girl roller skating and they had a wonderful time together and you could tell they really love each other and it was great to see them spend time like that. Tony was like...look at that rundown house but then he has a brand new fancy truck. How on earth does he afford that? I just stared at him and said...TLC!

There are some things people might do in the privacy of their own homes that should never be aired on TV.

Kathy813

Staff member
They were just renewed. This show just proves to all the people who claim that beauty pageants teach girls that all that is important is how pretty and thin they are isnt true. Honey Boo Boo is neither.

But Honey Boo Boo never does well at the pageants so it actually does say that you need to be pretty and thin to win.

Jody

Takes a lot to gross me out, but I am definately not tuning in to see neck crust. Makes me want to vomit, ugh.
Gross, Gross, Gross. I like reality tv but oh my goodness, i just can't do that. I can't stand dirty feet and if they have neck crust, their feet have to be filthy. Wretching here. enough said.