Hopes and Dreams (either for our children, changes in the system, etc)

smile.gif

I often dream about what it would be like to have a "normal" child. A child who would not be so worried all the time. One that would not be constantly asking "what time is it? or "do you work tomorrow? the next day? the next day? the next day?" all in one sentence!! I just wish that my child could wake up calm and laid back. I wish that he could have self-confidence and great self-esteem.
His mind is always racing. I wish that his mind could just slow down so that he could actually "hear" what I am saying to him. He is so insecure (with no reason to be that way). It is very hard to reassure him because of his compulsive and impulsive tendencies.
I just want him to enjoy his life-no worries, no sadness, no consequences (bad ones) of course....
I wish we could go places without all of the hassles and complaints. I want my difficult child to be able to handle change without a total breakdown.
These are just some of the wishes/dreams I have at the moment.....

------------------
Susie/30/FE/Louisiana, divorced for last 9 years; now engaged to Arlan who has full custody of his children (two boys: C-12 yrs and A.J.-18yrs old) REASON I'M HERE: Bobby (my difficult child)Adhd,Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD),Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD),odd?depressed,etc...Need all the help and support I can get!!!

my hopes and dreams are to someday be able to always enjoy the only boy I have. he can be the most sweetest little man in the world. he has such an intrest in bugs and creepy crawlies and would make an excelent entimologist or zooloogist. he is also very talented in the art world and could someday make a great artist too. I would just love to be able to hold him and tell him I love him and not have him complain. It would be nice to see him grow up to be a responsible and respectful young man and share his knowledge of bugs and animals with the world, or share his love of art and have his paintings/drawings hanging in museums and peoples homes. my dream for him is to grow up happy, healthy and normal.

------------------
De De a.ka. thank you's mom > mother of 4 beautiful kids // 3 girls & 1 boy > ages 12, 8, 3 & 1 // 8yr. old son ODD, ADHD, tourettes, & depression on Welbutrin SR 100mg 2x's daily now also on Risperdal 1mg. taking 1/2 tablet daily. >> married to a wonderful man ( old highschool sweetheart > took 7 yrs. to get back together since we last dated) for 6 1/2 yrs.
one of my own quotes: Everyone walks a tightrope, but it's the ones that are in balance with life that stay up.

TAKE CARE and GOD BLESS may we all stay in balance!!!

my hopes and dreams are to someday be able to always enjoy the only boy I have. he can be the most sweetest little man in the world. he has such an intrest in bugs and creepy crawlies and would make an excelent entimologist or zooloogist. he is also very talented in the art world and could someday make a great artist too. I would just love to be able to hold him and tell him I love him and not have him complain. It would be nice to see him grow up to be a responsible and respectful young man and share his knowledge of bugs and animals with the world, or share his love of art and have his paintings/drawings hanging in museums and peoples homes. my dream for him is to grow up happy, healthy and normal.

------------------
De De a.ka. thank you's mom > mother of 4 beautiful kids // 3 girls & 1 boy > ages 12, 8, 3 & 1 // 8yr. old son ODD, ADHD, tourettes, & depression on Welbutrin SR 100mg 2x's daily now also on Risperdal 1mg. taking 1/2 tablet daily. >> married to a wonderful man ( old highschool sweetheart > took 7 yrs. to get back together since we last dated) for 6 1/2 yrs.
one of my own quotes: Everyone walks a tightrope, but it's the ones that are in balance with life that stay up.

TAKE CARE and GOD BLESS may we all stay in balance!!!

slsh

member since 1999
Hopes for my son: That someday we will find the right combination of therapy, medications, behavior modification, and whatever else it will take for him to be able to function independently. Whether he flips burgers or attends M.I.T. and becomes a rocket scientist, it doesn't matter to me. I want him to be happy, healthy, and above all safe.
What I hope for our family: Peace. The luxury of having a family meal together without having to keep an eye on the knives that may be used as weapons against us later. The sheer joy of being able to ask my son to brush his teeth without being punched and pummeled. For the overall flavor in our house to be one of contentment and love, rather than the anxiety and fear that permeates our lives now.

What I hope for the system: It seems that after every major incident of juvenile violence (i.e. Columbine High School) there is an initial outcry for early identification and intervention for at risk youth. Once the initial outcry passes, it seems that blame once agains shifts to the parents (rightly or wrongly is beside the point). I hope that someday a parent will get direction from a professional, something besides "you can always abandon him/her". Identifying at risk youth does no good if there are no resources for the families. Yes, it all boils down to the almight dollar. But how much would the families at Columbine pay to have the violence there undone? And how much will the state have to pay in the future for those at risk youth who do not receive help and end up in a never ending cycle with the criminal "system"? Is this country so rich that we can afford to throw away our troubled kids?

------------------
Sue, Mom of four, wife of saintly husband
8 y/o male difficult child, ODD, ADHD, depression, bipolar, ? personality disorder, ? mood disorder, kitchen sink; medications: Depakote 750 mg, Risperdal 4 mg

The best advice I ever recieved about raising kids-"Be careful what you dream for your children. They either grow up living YOUR dream, or they end up disappointing you" I have always told John his life is his own, to follow what ever dreams he had, and as long as he was kind and honest and independent, I would always support him. At this point, my dream for him to be kind, honest and independent is way too much to even begin to hope for. So, even simple dreams for you children can end up disappointing you.

------------------
difficult child-John 16,
Tourette's Syndrome,ODD,ADD,Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
Risperidone, Wellbutrin, Ritalin
husband(most of the time) 50yrs; 18 yrs married
Me-43 (looking closer to 53 after these last 3 years)
1 pd (perfect dog) Frank
2 goats-Butt & Gus
Favorite saying: If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got.

My dream seems t be entirely different. I dream of the day when I do not have responsibility for my children any longer. I was blessed with two children with developmental disorders. One child is ADHD, ODD, Learning Disability (LD) and the other has Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD)/not otherwise specified (Autism). I dream of waking up and finding I do not have teachers, counselors, therapists , doctors and other to answer questions to. I dream of taking trips alone with my husband because I can and not because no one in our families will give us a breather. I dream of long walks for health. I dream of single health coverage and no social workers and medical assistance. I dream of being an individual and not the mother of Ari and Paul. I dream of having a life instead of constant worry about my children. I dream there is a world beyond ADHD, ODD, Learning Disability (LD), and autism. Until then I will love my children and pray that angels will take care of them until they find there way in this huge world and have there own life.