Hoping this is where to post question?

stepmom47

My difficult child is has had trouble in school now for 3 years.

I called the school yesterday to get an update from the counsler on the homework situation.
I asked her about difficult child moving into the next grade next year.
She stated that they look at the grades and ISAT scores to determine if they can go onto the next grade.
OK...he is failing 4 out of 8 classes.
She tells me that if his isat scores are good they will still pass him.
So I say to her...what? He is highly intelligent on his isat's but cannot pass courses. Why on earth would you let him pass into the next grade? She states that is the districts policy!!

I get total mis communication from everyone at school.
Teachers email to tell me he is still failing and counsler says:
difficult child has no missing work and is doing fine.

I have asked that counsler has privite meetings with difficult child but she still does group with him.

I have advised everyone from the principal to office lady that there are obvious problems.
They all say difficult child is a great kid!!!

We are trying the best we can with no help from the school:(
They just let him fail...what is wrong with these schools????

I also asked about him seeing the school social worker and they told me she only works with Special Education kids...
All suggestions are appreciated and welcome

Sheila

Well, my question was going to be does your son have an IEP, but based on "I also asked about him seeing the school social worker and they told me she only works with Special Education kids" I must assume he does not have an IEP.

Be sure and keep those emails! Very important.

Have you requested from the sd that your child be evaluated under IDEA regs? If not, you need to in my opinion. http://www.conductdisorders.com/com...a-formal-request-for-iep-re-evaluation.22433/ is a sample letter if you need it. It's very important to send the letter via Certified Mail.

I have to run presently, but will check back later.

stepmom47

We had an IEP done on him last year at his old school and they said there was nothing wrong with him and that he passed all the tests.
They also told us to take him off his ADD/ADHD medications, we declined since we felt that that was not their job to tell us to do that.

I know in my heart that there is some issues with-his learning.
When I am going over his homework he will totally mis read the directions and change what he is supposed to do.
He cannot follow simply directions...

He does very well on his tests,(ISAT,IEP) but cannot do book work at all without us telling him the directions over and over again.

We are at this point trying to get him into be evaluated at the Behavioral Health Clinic. The np suggested that he go into a day treatment program. The thing that worries me is that if he goes for 2 weeks and then we drop him back into school I feel that they will still do nothing for him after that?
My mind is running on overload these days.....

stepmom47

We found out last night that difficult child is cheating now instead of doing his homework.

Somehow he turned in another kids homework with his name on it.
This is spinning out of control!!

Sheila

It's unfortunate when school district's won't step up and do the right thing.

The reason I asked about when the evaluation was done is because if a parent disagrees with the school district evaluation, the parent can request an IEE. The request has to occur within a reasonable timeframe, however, and it is very unlikely that 12 months would be considered reasonable.

Based on what you've written, your child needs intervention at school. I'd request another evaluation. You can edit out the Parent Report info and submit the info to the sd at in two or three weeks if you choose. If you decide to do a Parent Report, be sure and retitle it "Parent Input."

stepmom47

Well, I am waiting for the school to call me at this point.
We found out yesterday that difficult child is now turning in other kids homework as his own.
I wonder if & what the punishment will be??

Oh sorry...my mind is overwhelmed today....

Cheating????

Sheila

I am waiting for the school to call me at this point.

I wouldn't wait or depend on the school district to take the initiative to get the evaluation rolling.

The certified mail kicks in mandated timelines within which the sd has to perform.

Additionally, upon receipt of the evaluation request, "protections for children not yet eligible for special education" is triggered. There's more info on this citation in the Archives and this forum.

stepmom47

difficult child is now failing 4 out of 8 core classes.
Principal said we will have a meeting...

difficult child is scheduled for an intake evaluation this Thurs.
my sister in law who is a teacher said I should wait to ask for an IEP until after Thurs. intake meeting. (More Ammo)

This morning we found out that difficult child has gotton in trouble at school.
He dragged a kid down the hall on his butt by his back pack.
This the second time he has gotton in trouble at school.

The first time he assulated a girl with-a rubberband.

Both times they have given him an in-school suspension...which is what he wants...a whole day of not being in class.

Sheila

difficult child is scheduled for an intake evaluation this Thurs.
my sister in law who is a teacher said I should wait to ask for an IEP until after Thurs. intake meeting.

I don't know what an intake evaluation is, but I disagree with-your sister in law.

School districts have 60 days to perform the evaluation after they receive the request from a parent. Upon receipt of your request the sd either must perform the evaluation or give you written notice as to why they refuse to evaluate.

If you send the letter, it should help with-the sd postponing doing the evaluation instead of wanting to do RTI and then months down the road, the evaluation still hasn't been done.

stepmom47

She is just saying that I will have ammo from the Behavioral Health Center to use to get the school to see that there is more underlying problems.

School thinks that he is just a p/c and that all of this is "normal" behavior..

I am worried that the parents of the kids he is abusing will come to us?

What do we tell them?