Horrible day

trinityroyal

Kjs,
I think that DaisyFace hit the nail on the head.
The issue you're facing with difficult child is so closely related to the one you've been describing with your H lately.

You have so much of yourself invested in taking care of them, catching them when they fall, making sure their lives run smoothly. And hoping to get back a tiny smidgin in return of what you're putting in. So when they walk away to do their own thing, not only does it feel like rejection, it also feels like a slap in the face because you're only expecting from them what you're giving to them.

Problem is, from their perspective, you've got it handled so they don't need to participate at all. They can walk away footloose and fancy free, because you're always there to pick up the pieces.

Well, it's time to let the pieces sit on the floor where they lie. If difficult child isn't doing his homework, let him face the full brunt of the consequences for that. If easy child isn't happy with his job, it's up to him to find a new one.

Your job right now is to take care of yourself. Look at your needs and your wants, and start fulfilling them. Put aside everyone else's concerns, and focus on yours.

I know...it will feel very weird and selfish at first. But after a while, you will start to feel better. And better, and better.

You commented that all of us are so much stronger than you are. That's just so much codswallop. You are a very strong lady indeed to have survived all the sadness that's been heaped on you, and to keep on putting one foot in front of the other, day after day after day.

Now it's time to take some of that strength and use it for yourself. There's nothing wrong with cherishing yourself. In fact, there are so many things right with it.

Please start looking after you. It hurts my heart to see you in so much pain. You can make it better, but only if you start taking care of you. Put yourself at the top of your priority list.

Sending many hugs your way.
Trinity

jbrain

See, I knew people would respond who can write the right words! Please do listen, KJS, we really care and we all have been in similar shoes to yours!

Also, you really will be doing difficult child a favor when you let him take on responsibility for his own life. You will be saying in effect, "I believe in you and your ability to make good decisions." (even if you don't believe in him and his ability he needs to think you do!)

Hugs,
Jane

P.S. Having a parent who feels she isn't strong enough is likely to make a kid feel insecure--that you can't handle him. You are strong enough, KJS, and when you show him that strength it can only help him. Setting boundaries and living your own life and taking care of yourself are ways to show strength. Take back your power!

robinm1922

One day at a time
Hi,
I can feel where you are coming from! I realized early on this school year I was making myself sick with stressing over something I can't control! I have taken the natural consequence approach, I wish I could say I have left the nagging behind but that wouldn't be honest. I really need to stop the nagging it doesn't do anyone any good at all. I guess all I really need to do is stop plain and simple.This thread has been super helpful to get me back on track. I need to reevaluate how I am going about school with my difficult child, it has gotten to the point when I ask a question about school she says that is all I ever talk about.
That is what I need to change, maybe someone could invent an off button for me (as long as difficult child doesn't know where to find it).
My long winded response to your post is so many of us have been there done that or are in the process, there isn't any right answer just go with what you think you need to do for your situation. Your therapist is not living with you in the evenings, they don't have the same stress that you have daily. It is a matter of picking your battles, if your difficult child fails he fails it is all on him. I know for my difficult child she wants to go to college, I am certainly not going to be going behind her bugging her about homework, she may as well learn how to self motivate now.
I wish you luck it is a road with many forks.
Robin