Horrible News

M

ML

One of my dearest friends called last night as I was getting ready for bed and I didn't pick up the call. She called again this morning to tell me that her nephew took his own life yesteday. He was 17. He was found dead behind a Safeway, it was on the news. He pretty much grew up a easy child until a few years ago when he began cutting. He had been seeing someone and they were trying to get him help. I know this family well and they have had so much tragedy. This friend "A" actually lost her son 10 years ago the same way (pills). My poor friend is grieving her nephew and her own son's passing all over again.

Please send prayers for my friend, her brother and this entire family as they gather together to mourn the tragic passing of a young life.

All I can do is cook. I have prepared several pans of lasagna. They have a big family, 8 siblings! I just wish there was more I coud do.

Thanks,

ML

everywoman

I'm so sorry. It is such a tragedy when a young person dies, but it seems like when they choose to take their own lives, it is even worse. I will keep this family in my prayers.

mstang67chic

Going Green
A lot of thoughts and prayers going out. How sad.

Don't feel bad about "only" cooking. I've been on the receiving end of that and it's a huge relief during times of tragedy and/or stress. When there is so much emotion or things going on like that, you just can't think straight. Having food there to heat up (or brought over hot....whichever) is a Godsend and one less thing to have to think about. Trust me, it will be greatly appreciated.

Lothlorien

How awful. I am sorry for your friend and her family.

Cooking for them is definitely a very nice way of letting them know that you care. They may not remember what you cooked when all is said and done, but they will remember that you did cook and how wonderful it was to have a friend cook for them.

DammitJanet

Oh how absolutely tragic. One thing that happens every time I hear such things is it makes me more resolute to continue treatment so I wont do this to my friends and family. A tiny bit of good that comes. I will keep this family and all their friends in my prayers.

It is so helpful for you to cook. I wish someone had been around to cook for my family in times of stress and need. It is something that is so needed but people just dont think about anymore.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Your cooking will be a blessing to them during their time of need. It will remind them to eat, and bring them nurishment and comfort.

Saying a prayer for this family and your friend. Such a tragedy.

(((hugs)))

susiestar

Roll With It
I am so sorry. This is a shame.

Please don't feel it is only cooking. It is an easy, nourishing home cooked meal that can be ready anytime. It is a wonderful gift and hopefully will help them through this.

If you can remember, taking a casserole over in 2-3 weeks may be a huge benefit. They can't be "up" to handling too much at that point. The initial rush of condolences as faded, and the family is still in crisis.

Ihave done this many times. Last year 2 of husband's coworkers lost a close family member with-in a week of each other. Of course we sent cards, but I sent in a frozen homemade lasagna in a disposable container to them each the day after they returned to work. One of the women just cried when husband gave it to her. The night before had been very difficult - cooking after a full day at work while grieving is a huge strain.

So that is what I do now. I put the dya I want to send in food on my calendar. It really makes it so I don't forget.

I am so sorry for your loss. I know it is a crushing blow to all who knew him.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Sending hugs and prayers of strength to this family and you.

I think cooking up several dishes is a wonderful way to show you care and that you're thinking of them. Maybe you could freeze some and bring it by in a couple of weeks.

Star*

call 911........call 911
ML,

I'm so sorry for this family. Sending huge hugs and prayers. You're a good friend to do what you are doing for them. It's funny too - I just suggested to Upallnight that she make lasagna for her neighbors who lost a 19 year old son - and there you are doing it.

My deepest sympathies for your loss.

Hugs
Star

M

ML

Thanks for the great support and ideas. I *will* keep cooking and freezing :) Love you guys xo ML