Crystal72

Ok update again
Got a call from the hospital social worker. She says they are looking at discharging him on this Friday,which is two days from today. But I am puzzled. He was out of his adderrall xr only 2 days ago, neurosych testing not completed, no new medication trial yet... And they are talking about discharge in 2 days time???
Then I got a call from the case manager of our insurance.she is with me when it comes to ' is it safe to bring him home so soon ?".
She says she is going to call the hospital to tell him it's too soon to discharge him without completing the tests, and a new medication pan and a trial to make sure the new medication kicks in nicely. She also told me she is going to look into home base therapy and respite care for us.
Let's hope for the best.

buddy

Ok update again
Got a call from the hospital social worker. She says they are looking at discharging him on this Friday,which is two days from today. But I am puzzled. He was out of his adderrall xr only 2 days ago, neurosych testing not completed, no new medication trial yet... And they are talking about discharge in 2 days time???
Then I got a call from the case manager of our insurance.she is with me when it comes to ' is it safe to bring him home so soon ?".
She says she is going to call the hospital to tell him it's too soon to discharge him without completing the tests, and a new medication pan and a trial to make sure the new medication kicks in nicely. She also told me she is going to look into home base therapy and respite care for us.
Let's hope for the best.

Wow, how great that the insurance lady said that. I would think they would be so happy to have him out. But in the end that could backfire for them to oI guess if he has to go straght back in. Are you going to call too to make sure they know you dont think it is a good idea? Just to make it very clear to them......

when he first went in, I thought Q was gonna come home in three days. I can't imagine that now. It was too soon. I hope they listen.

Crystal72

I told the hospital exact thing I told the insurance case manager. But I think if the hospital
hear from the insurance, they would take it more seriously.
I m crossing my fingers here

T

TeDo

Pretzeling, rattling and praying for a GOOD outcome from this. Hospital was the one that suggested these things so how do they think they can do any of it without him being ain a safe place for them to observe him? Makes no sense to me.

buddy

me too. I am really hoping for you that they dont push him out too soon. How is he doing by the way. What do they do during the day? Does he have a room mate or is he alone? How long can you visit with him? Ok I will stop now....smile.

L

Liahona

home base therapy and respite care

Wow, that is great news! Also great that difficult child is happy. What medication are they thinking of trying next? Is this for ADHD? Are they going to do anything with the Zoloft or leave it as is for now?

Crystal72

The psychiatrist in psychiatric hospital called to say all the score of the tests they did were botherline so they really see no need for him to be there.
They do classes like how to manage anxiety or anger. He is in single room.
The insurance lady understands that aspie are super smart and know how to put it together and explode in their comfort zone.
So disappointed with the psychiatric hospital. It's like kicking him back to me without anything but a big hospital bill. Same as last time

buddy

How about the fact that he is not safe to be home...pretty big "need" if you ask me... what exactly is borderline anyway? Which things.... Has the insurance lady called them yet? I wonder if they can keep him until the insurance lady can help you to put some services in place? Call them and fuss tomorrow.

Crystal72

The social worker say the test is not completed yet but the psychiatrist says his scores are all borderline. Like ADHD and anxiety.
I mean ofcourse it would be good if we nip his aggression after removing Adderral xr but even the psychiatrist can't assure me. He says just send him back if his aggression starts again.
Hello there, we don't have state insurance to back us here !!! We are paying with our money and causing us so into debt.
I am going to call the insurance case manager in a few hours and see what they told her.

Oh! The psychiatrist at psychiatric hospital says he spoke to our private psychiatrist and he too think he can be discharged. And he made a remark saying : your psychiatrist knows your family so much better than us.

What does it mean? That our psychiatrist told them its my mental health that is making me see all negatives???

Jesus Christ!

buddy

I am guessing that is not it. I am guessing that this hospital guy is trying to justify the decision by saying even a doctor who knows him/your situation etc. in general...... is saying he should go home too. Just to bolster his position I am thinking. (two against one kind of thing)
do you feel safe? Has he had a pass out of the hospital? I think it is reasonable to ask for a pass first to see how he does with you and if like with my difficult child, he aggresses, then he goes right back in and THEN you decide if he goes. Regardless of whether he goes home (and it seems your gut says no, so it is sad to me he will but...) will the insurance woman continue to look for outside supports for you? That is where the long term support is going to come from so I hope she does.

Crystal72

Well the psychiatrist says my son is doing good, nothing negative been reported.
And outside therapy is best for him.

Buddy, don't you need to sleep??? Gosh my 6 years old kept me awake the whole night. He has this sleeping issue that he would be talking and screaming in his sleep and punches me.

buddy

I woke and the thoughts just kept spinning. I decided to stop fighting it. I did sleep from 12 ish till 430. I will fall asleep and take a nap again I am sure.

Sounds like night rages. I took care of a boy who even did that during naps. Can you get a sleep study for him? maybe not necessary, do they think he will grow out of it? It is very intense, they can't hear you or remember anything, right? my niece had it a couple of times. Very different from nightmares.

Crystal, how in the heck are you expected to function if you get NO sleep. Worry for both boys.... Is there any kind of sleep medication that helps with that? Can he take melatonin? I dont know if it helps since he IS sleeping but would it make him go into a different phase of sleep? No wonder you feel so overwhelmed.

Crystal72

He went for sleep study couple of months ago. We paid almost 3k for it. They say he has sleep apnea. Even he was screaming during the study, all they say was sleep apnea, remove the tonsil.
Went to ENT and he says ds tonsil is tiny! ENT doesn't agree.
And yes he doesn't remember, even I tried to wake him he was there screaming. He took melatonin before but it just make him fall asleep and it doesn't make him stay asleep. And the minute he is up, yesterday was 4.30am! He running and waking everyone. And no he is not in medication cos the psychiatrist doesn't believe me.
PCP says kids with ADHD has sleep issues and when that child doesn't get enough sleep, behavioral issue too.
I never had more than 4 hours of sleep.
I was just telling my husband that I almost fall asleep driving

buddy

Oh gosh Crystal, this might be one of those things that hub is just going to have to s*ck it up....HE HAS to take over one or two nights a week at least.

I wonder if you just try your regular pediatrician. They are used to kids doing this a lot. Maybe they can help. THe two kids I told you about, just grew out of it. But neither was autistic. Autism often has sleep disturbanc with it. Yes, he needs something to put him in a different phase to keep him asleep.

Have you applied for TEFRA? I think that is the name of it.... there are supplemental insurance programs for kids iwth disabilitiies, while you may need to parent pay a portion, it would be worth it (you will have to do the math when they tell you the numbers) to not have huge bills like that for the sleep study and therapies. OH, nevermind...I remember you said you are applying for it...Katie Beckett is TEFRA... you are on the ball as always...

Crystal72

Have been applying Katie Beckett but never got approved. Our pediatrician could only order sleep study and tell me to put him on melatonin.
I would be grateful of my teenager could take him with her on one day on weekend and let me sleep but you should know how teenager are.
Just left a message for the insurance case manager. Hopefully she spoke with the hospital

buddy

Does insurance case manager know about difficult child 2? can she help with respite for him too? I wonder if they could go to respite together then you could get a weekend a month or omething like that for sleep .... My mom used to take kids into our home for weekends for respite. We had campouts and loved these kids like family. We became really close to the families (and believe me, they were not easy kids, that's why the families needed respite). It as so cool. There are people out there. Do you belong to a church or any such religious organization....anyone who could donate time for a break??

geez Crystal, you work so hard and you have searched for so much help, just like you said in your first post. Makes me wish we lived closer so we could work together and I'd gladly do respite for you! at least my difficult child goes out with Integrated Listening Systems (ILS) workers three times per week.

Crystal72

Yes I mentioned difficult child 2 to her too.
He goes to 2.5hrs kindergarten and that short hour is really nothing. I m so exhausted

buddy

Yes I mentioned difficult child 2 to her too.
He goes to 2.5hrs kindergarten and that short hour is really nothing. I m so exhausted

Well the up side is he will be in first grade NEXT year....sigh. I am just so sorry. You need a break and hubby needs to get off his can and give it to you. I have never been married so maybe off my rocker...what if you just do it...take a night off. Tell Hub that Friday nights are YOURS. You will see him Saturday morning. go to a friends or relatives and SLEEP (well you can go out adn have dinner and a drink first, smile). That is my fantasy for you!

keista

the psychiatrist says his scores are all borderline. Like ADHD and anxiety.
I'm guessing that's because his primary diagnosis is Aspergers. Kinda like my DD1 she never fit anything. There was certainly something there, but just never scored conclusively. in my opinion it's because these other things - what *looks* like axiety or ADHD are actually the symptoms of Asperger's. So, the problem now is that psychiatric hospital is not designed to treat Aspies.

Since it sounds like your insurance person is being really great (such a blessing because treatment too often depends on what insurance offers us) Start asking her about different angles of treatment.

For example, has he had full Occupational Therapist (OT) evaluations? Full sensory and motor skills? I myself was not aware of how sensory DD1 actually is. Since I've been told, and started making small changes, she's behaving much better. Next Monday she's going for a full evaluation, and hopefully I'll get accommodation recommendations for both school and home.

Especially with an Aspies, it's easy to get caught up in micromanaging the bad behavior. Yes, it has to get addressed, but it's usually caused by something seemingly unrelated. Address the cause, the bad behavior is tempered or even *hold breath* goes away.

keista

Well the up side is he will be in first grade NEXT year....sigh. I am just so sorry. You need a break and hubby needs to get off his can and give it to you. I have never been married so maybe off my rocker...what if you just do it...take a night off. Tell Hub that Friday nights are YOURS. You will see him Saturday morning. go to a friends or relatives and SLEEP (well you can go out adn have dinner and a drink first, smile). That is my fantasy for you!
Unfortuantely, that can be dangerous depending on the hubby. Mine wasn't a horrible guy, but certainly not the most involved one either. And I used to do this with mine. Mostly for *stupid* stuff like getting to go grocery shopping alone. Kids wouldn't get fed, diapers wouldn't get changed, and if I was lucky, he'd still be sober when I got back (even if it was an 11am shopping trip on a weekend) Yeah, the drinking started freaking me out, because while I was home he wouldn't drink that early so I figured it was "safe", but you know the saying of when the cat's away.