Crystal72

My 11 years old aspie attacked his 17 years old sister and used a kitchen knife to damage dining table and threatened to stab himself. I called 911 and had them bring him to the hospital.
After waiting 4 hours here, without even seeing the resident psychiatrist, thru the social worker, the resident psychiatrist told me to bring him home and just give him the computer!!!
I told them there is no way I will bring him home and give him the addiction source to encourage him to keep doing that!!!
So I called my private psychiatrist who then talk to the hospital to have them admit him.

DDD

OMG! I'm so glad you psychiatrist was able to expedite the admission. I'm so sorry that "help" is so hard to find. Hugs DDD

Crystal72

I am so tired of this. Last year same time he was admitted too. I kept telling his psychiatrist it's a time bomb waiting to explode.
We planned to go have crepe this afternoon, I bought candies for Halloween cos he missed Halloween last year. And it happened again.
I know autism is no cure, I know we can't fix him. I know all that

T

TeDo

I can't believe they wanted you to take him home when he was so violent. Good for you for standing your ground. No way should you have "rewarded" him. Glad you have a good psychiatrist on board. Gotta wonder about some professionals sometimes.

I gotta ask this question because we just went through a similar situation. Has he had any medication changes in the last 6 months? Change in medications? Dosage changes? The reason I am asking is because my son acted very much the same way on two different medications. The first one he'd been on for 3 months. This last one he'd been on for almost 6 months. In our case, it was the medications that were actually causing the violent aggressive behaviors. Just a thought.

{{{{(((HUGS)))}}}} to you all.

buddy

Oh Crystal, so sorry. Yes, true, sadly no cure for autism. But in your case you are so desperately in need of in home services. I know you are asking and they just aren't helping much. I can't remember if he is on medications? Here, our challenge is that difficult child is growing so fast medications are not as effective as they used to be. It can be very dangerous. I hope the folks in this inpatient place will listen to you and try to help.

How is daughter? is she just used to all of this or is she afraid? My son has never gone after me with a weapon. He has said he would but so far (knock cyber wood) he has never said he is going to do something then done it.) his violence is always impulsive when super anxious. But since he was very little for many reasons (lke he will cut his own hair, thinks it is fun....still will do this at age 14) I have locks on two of my kitchen cabinets/drawers. All knives and scissors and any medications or chemicals that he might play with are in there (he will spray insecticide because he likes the smell). They are the kinds that you need a magnet to open. I suppose he could break them but hasn't tried yet. I know you can put key locks on them if it is your house. I rent so had to go with this.

He still could throw heavy things and has done so so my house is not as pretty as I wish I could have it. Small price to pay for safety. I am not as worried about a remote control being flung at me compared to large candle or a knife, smile. Strange thing to say/strange choices to make...non difficult child houses would be horrified I would even have to make the decision,right???

I hope your son is able to calm down and get help. I also hope the other kids are okay and that as a family you can try to do something fun together. My son just found out he is probably not going to trick or treat because of being in the hospital , SO hard. it is not their fault they are autistic.

I am glad you checked in, was thinking of you lots. Let us know how things are going! Or just come and vent.

Crystal72

He was on generic adderall 10mg in the morning and 5mg in the afternoon before 8/2011. In august we switched insurance and it covers adderall xr so we switched.
Last month I found out he was addicted to cybersex and found out there might be some bullying issue in school.
Now I am starting to think its Halloween jinx cos it happened last year same time

buddy

I hear you. I really do. This board was the only place I confessed how much I was crying etc. and I was in a good place before difficult child had his huge meltdown. You were already struggling. I think you really need to call one of the places folks here have suggested before. Maybe it is time for a therapeutic foster home or such things. can you call CPS and tell them that he had a knife, you know he is not a criminal, but autistic and you have two other kids to protect. maybe knowing your daughter was threatened will put a fire under their bottoms.???

T

TeDo

Do you remember if there were ANY medication changes last year? I may be totally off base but thought it might be worth at least thinking about it. How is daughter? That had to have been very scary for her.

Crystal72

I am going to re apply for Katie Beckett the state insurance again.
Did any one of you consider military school? I know our kids doesn't have behavioral issue from them, they are autistic but if the only one children hospital told me to bring him home and give him the computer. Which dept would listen to me?
I pleaded even to senate office

Crystal72

She is ok. Even I m here in hospital since 5 hours ago. I keep in touch with her tru text message to make sure she is fine.
He was on depokte but removed in oct last year. For some reason mother instinct told me he needed more than just adderall xr and Zoloft.

buddy

I would not consider military school when he is unstable. I do know an adult Aspie who is a gifted guy and once his life was stable and he understood his issues and triggers etc. he joined the military and is doing well. But he made the choice and was stable. Problem is they will not have any accomodations that he needs, will only be looked at as a behavior disorder, they are under no obligation to provide sensory accomodations, visual teaching methods etc. He really needs a therpeutic kind of situaiton for kids with autism. You got a dud doctor who told you to go home. Someone who is clueless for sure. Love that you are applying for that. Again, have you ever called CPS yourself, voluntarily??? People here have said that can work.
There are residential programs and therpeutic foster homes. Maybe you need to look at voluntary foster care? I wish like when TeDo's difficult child and my difficult child were first going in, we could all sit and problem solve in person. Luckily we at least have this! It just helps to connect, for me anyway. You feel weak and depressed, but you are still strong. Look at you! There are people who would not even still be able to try to t hink of options and would have taken him home to the computer. (I admit I have had days I have let difficult child watch nascar and other races all day if I needed a mental health break. Not a daily thing but for an afternoon once a week, I'm ok with that---there are lots of guys who watch football and otehr sports for long times so I figure it can be a "normal" thing if only once in a while!) Anyway, you knew that wasn't the answer and you fought it and problem solved.
Our neuro just called dept of ed. and several places for us because she is so upset about our school admin. Do you have anyone who can do that to support you? I wish hubby would support you more but maybe at this point he would just make things harder since you said he is like another kiddo.

Crystal72

My husband is trying but baby steps. I have not tried cps but I did have the thought to place him in Forster home cos every Saturday it got worst.

T

TeDo

We have a county social worker who has gotten us services we couldn't access otherwise. It might be worth a try to get some help. You might also want to consider getting a metabolic test on him. That is what they are suggesting for my difficult child 1. They think he metabolizes medications very differently so "normal" doses might be way too much for him. They said there might also be medications that his body won't metabolize at all. I might be grasping at straws in your case but since this sounds so eerily familiar, I thought I'd pass on our experiences.

buddy

We have a county social worker who has gotten us services we couldn't access otherwise. It might be worth a try to get some help. You might also want to consider getting a metabolic test on him. That is what they are suggesting for my difficult child 1. They think he metabolizes medications very differently so "normal" doses might be way too much for him. They said there might also be medications that his body won't metabolize at all. I might be grasping at straws in your case but since this sounds so eerily familiar, I thought I'd pass on our experiences.

yeah good point! TeDo and I have this in common. Our doctor ordered these tests years ago and found he does have this metabolic issue. He has almost none of the enzymes needed to process many medications. They can have low levels or none or moderate etc. A list is given by the testing company that shows which medications are not ok to use then. (at least was for us). It is a HUGE list. I am told 6-7% of the population has this but it only is a problem for people who NEED medications! I was told there are some medications that actually can cause or contribute to this problem as well. Since medications are such a huge part of their lives, it is surely worth checking to make it clear if there is a problem or not.

I am also going to have him tested for other digestive enzymes now. I am concerned if he is not getting all of the nutrients he needs (he is quite small always under the curve and endocrinologist says it is not medications because bone age is young too...is he right??? I suspect so since appetite is not an issue for my difficult child)...there are kids who can have serious learning and developmental disorders from lack of nutrition obviously...

What services/case management do you have so far Crystal? I know you said you are asking everyone...does he have a county worker of any kind?

Crystal72

We have none. The gateway home services came for our 6 years old ds that has Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) not otherwise specified but switched to our aspie when they met him but all just started like last month. We must have just met them 3x. In fact just yesterday. I told them Saturday is the issue.
Other than that we have nothing

buddy

So I am hearing that the rest of the week is, well, managable....but every Saturday is a pattern of upset? Is it all about the computer? And the other issue you had told us about? Seems like a behavior analysist in this case (and only if trained on Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) thinking and patterns) would be super helpful. Some of the easiest plans are made when a behavior is so predictable. But not easy to do alone because if they get violent you need support. Especially at the beginning of a plan when they usually get worse before they get better.

I am hoping they can get this for you.... Have you called to leave a message saying what is happening, they wont answer today but fill up their machine with crisis calls.... Squeaky wheel gets the grease and all....

DammitJanet

I dont mean to break into this convo but you guys just gave me some wonderful advice...I am going to ask for a metabolic work up on me! I seem to process medications differently and I am really large for a person that doesnt eat as much as one would assume. Maybe something is going on with me.

Now..good luck Crystal.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I'm guessing your AS son is the tween/teen? (sorry I don't know the background I don't get into general too often these days)

The military was perfect for my AS husband, but it's not going to be a good fit for everyone.......even if it's the school environment. And you'd have to make certain the school could both understand his diagnosis and cope with it appropriately. Otherwise, I see it being an epic fail with difficult child coming out the loser.

Glad the psychiatrist helped push through the admit. I'd ask for a county social worker, or a mental health social worker to see about getting him AND you some wrap around services at home.

((hugs))

InsaneCdn

Now I am starting to think its Halloween jinx cos it happened last year same time

Totally left curve idea here, and this would be on top of other suggestions, not instead of, but..

If you're seeing a halloween jinx... halloween candy is among the worst for strong colors and food dyes... any chance of that being one more part of the problem?