Hot chocolate... with a kick!

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I know it's only Tuesday, but it's chilly outside today so I made myself a hot chocolate... with a shot of raspberry Chambord! Oh gosh, this is the yummiest thing... :coffee: I could drink a thermos of it! (But I'll be good and stop at one mug!)

KTMom91

Please bring the rest of it to me...I can definitely use it! I'll even meet you halfway...say, Bakersfield?

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I like the original Chambord, but hate raspberries so wouldn't really appreciate the newer flavor.

husband used to refer to a Chambord bottle as the "Holy Hand Grenade" due to the globe and cross design (No offense to Christians on this board)

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I don't think this is a newer flavor, GN. I think it's always been a black raspberry liqueur?

Mary, I can be in Bakersfield in about 2.5 hours! But I can't guarantee the thermos will still be hot by then, let alone full! :tongue:

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
While you're at it make a ski lift ~ hot chocolate with peppermint schnapps. Wonderful on a chilly (20 below) day.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Oh Linda -- I can't do schnapps anymore after a college ski weekend snowed in at Mammoth Mountain. :faint: Our snow angels looked more like crop circles after awhile...

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
It may have been black raspberries. I know I don't like the red ones, and I DESPISE any sort of artificial raspberry flavor.

The original Chambord was also quite good in tea, especially some herbal teas.

I can put in a vote for hot chocolate along with pepperment schnapps as well. That's good stuff, especially after a day spent out in the cold doing physical stuff.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Oh Suz! I could NEVER ignore YOU! Now Shari, maybe... OMG, did I say that out LOUD???? Gasp! Must be the Chambord talking now... (hic!)

Marguerite

husband used to refer to a Chambord bottle as the "Holy Hand Grenade" due to the globe and cross design (No offense to Christians on this board)

None taken. And I agree with husband's description.

I'd have to go easy on the alcohol plus I agree about artificial flavours. But I have bottles of my home-made strawberry sauce, that should go well as an additive. When we get to winter.

But as we move to winter and you move to summer, let me share with you husband's latest concoction - one part Midori, one part coconut-flavoured rum, two parts pineapple juice. Freeze it. Then serve the slush in a large martini glass. In Sydney at the moment there is a trend at our musical theatre performances, for these sort of cocktails to be sold to the audience, in colour-changing martini glasses. You get to keep the cup. Rocky Horror Show (last Sydney performance) was spectacular, with loads of these things flashing all round the audience but still not able to compete with what was on stage. But when we went to Wicked a couple of weeks ago, we were told to turn off the cups during the performance.

But those drinks - not as alcoholic as you would think. Very yummy, very thirst-quenching. Great for a summer cool-down, and the day we saw Wicked, it was 41 C (106 F) in Sydney. Lay some more crushed ice on me, baby!

Marg

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Well, the schnapps is a shot in a large mug of hot chocolate or mocha. It's about the equivalent of a shot of whiskey, if even, as many liquers are lower in alcohol that regular whiskeys and the like.

Still not something you would have a couple of before going somewhere, but still nice for a day spent at home.

Marg's Man

Marg got the recipe wrong. You use THREE parts pineapple juice.

I mix it up in a single serve soft drink (soda) bottle in the correct proportions and stick the whole lot in the deep freeze. About every two hours I take it out, shake vigourously to break up the ice into slush.

Next day, I take it out of the freezer wait a short while before I pour a glass for each person having a drink. One 500ml bottle makes four serves.

Marg's Man

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
LOL the other night it was really really cold and I had E & H over. We sat around playing with different combinations. My favorite so far...

1/2 shot Bailey's
1/2 shot Creme de Menthe
2 tablespoons (about) cocoa mix
Put in oversize mug, fill with coffee and top with whipped cream.

OOOOH. Yummy. Of course you can do this without the alcohol - just substitute a candy cane for the Bailey's and Creme de Menthe and add another tablespoon of cocoa.