Hot flashes

K

Kjs

i know we talked about this before...How long do they last? It has been about 4 years and they are not getting less. Seems like they are more often and more intense. :thumbsdown:

And exercising..I work up a sweat when I go to the gym, but working up a sweat and having a hot flash I feel like i am going to pass out! :faint:

It's awful, isn't it!

I think it is different for each of us. I am fifty-five and have had them for something like ten years ~ maybe longer. One of the ladies on the site posted to me once that when we are finally firmly into menopause, the symptoms decrease.

I also experience periodic restless leg syndrome. I have found that magnesium helps with that.

For mood swings and water retention, Pamprin Plus helps. If mood swings are not a problem, the diuretic in Pamprin is pamablom. That is available OTC, though you will usually find it in the dietary aids section.

Some of us are using an antidepressant (Prozac) for those few days when things can seem so dark. Research indicates that the Prozac, even taken for this few days of the cycle, does help. I use the Pamprin for the mood alteration too as for me, water retention and irritability go hand in hand.

Estroven is something you might try.

Supplementation with a good multi vitamin (no iron) sometimes helps ~ especially the B vitamins.

Fianlly, there is a book out by a Dr. Susan Love (which I haven't read yet) that is supposed to be very helpful.

Wishing well with this ~ it is hard, I know.

Are you dressing in layers?

I have heard too that hot flashes actually work to protect us from cancer.

Sometimes, in the middle of the night when I am sweating away?

I try to remember that.... :smile:

Barbara

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
Scent---did you mean Pamabrom? The diuretic in Pamprin? I occasionnally have hot flashes, but they only last about a minute. Mine don't usually wake me up at night, but when I'm trying to work outside in the heat I have to go in for a break...

Hope you find some relief...I tried Estroven and think I noticed some difference, but it was minute...

K

Kjs

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scent of Cedar I</div><div class="ubbcode-body">in the middle of the night when I am sweating away </div></div> lol

GYN prescribed prescription vitamins..Man they are huge. Two am and two PM. but, I swear they make me gain weight.

I had a total, complete hysterectomy (sp?) in 2004. And I was sweating and freezing by the time I woke up!!!

skeeter

ARG! I've had periodic hot flashes the past year or so, but I'm not getting them many times a day. I can handle the ones in the day, but the night time ones are waking me up at least 3 times a night! I've not had a full night's sleep for the past month.

Oh, well, hopefully the "other" thing has stopped once and for all. I'm still prepared for a "surprise" however.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I hate the night sweats the most. They are just so uncomfortable and icky. I sometimes have to change nightgowns and rinse off at 3AM! ugh

I am 44, have had them sporadically since I was 37. They went away for the most part for about 6 months, but they started up again this past month. I think it's because I haven't been working out or anything with my back being out.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Oh I hate hot flashes! They are the worst! I went through a very early menopause (21 yrs old) and was getting them in the dorm room. Now I'm on HRT and will be til I'm 50. I'm not looking forward to the return of the hot flashes!

tiredmommy

I'm fortunate not to have suffered through many hot flashes yet (I'm still firmly in perimenopause at age 39), but I do have another problem...
I get bigger. Not all over, just in my chest. I look like I'm bursting out of my blouse for a day or two a month, then I'm back to normal. I'm always relieved when I'm not about to fall out of my shirt again!

K

Kjs

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tiredmommy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">II get bigger. Not all over, just in my chest. I look like I'm bursting out of my blouse.</div></div>

I always wanted that problem.

tiredmommy

Believe me, I look like I just had a baby. It's grotesque & embarrassing. I have people asking me if I'm pregnant every month, ugh!!!