Hound - YOU DID SAY INCREASING PRICES - but I forgot! AND OMG

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I don't see how I could do 37.00 for 30 lbs. The 30 lbs wouldn't last me 2 wks. (3 BIG dogs)

I went to the Tractor Supply Store and I think I found the brand someone mentioned. It was like 33.00 for 40 or 50 lbs. That for me is still a bit steep, but if Molly's skin issue from the darn moist n meaty doesn't clear up I know I can pick her up that bag for fairly reasonable. It would last her little over a month....maybe 6 wks if I stretched it. I couldn't find it in small kibble though, and she really needs that. I did find one of their generics in small kibble @ 20 bucks for 50 lbs. It seems "good" but we'll see. Thankfully, Molly will eat anything, she's not picky. easy child kept trying to get me to pick up their super cheap generic, I think it was like 50 lbs for 10 bucks. I told her no way. Last time I tried a super cheap generic I either had sick dogs or dogs that refused to touch it. And if Molly refuses to eat something that makes a huge statement about the food. Kroger's really cheap generic my dogs refuse to eat, and Betsy got sick on. Same for aldi's.......none of them got past the sniffing it part. I had to give it away. I dunno what's in it, but evidently the dogs do and refuse to touch it. lol

So it looks for the moment that I can get the dog food cheaper at the Tractor Supply. Which is good because I don't have to drive the 45 mins to Sams. Actually........I think I may run back out tomorrow with Travis and pick up a few extra bags. And I just realized I forgot to price their cat food. :sigh:

Had to laugh though. They had the baby chicks in for the season. Brandon and Connor went gaga for them. :rofl: That peaked easy child's interest, so she started pricing supplies. Food for them wasn't too bad. But like I told her when she wanted to pull me into it.......I'm going all over the world pricing dog food, I don't need more mouths to feed right now. She kept asking me if I was sure we could have them in the city limits. I told her Nichole looked it up, but if it made her feel better to ask Nichole where she got the info from and she could look it up. There was this other lady in there snatching up chicks and supplies..........Turns out she's our neighbor from around the corner. We're not the only ones thinking ahead. LOL So I guess that answered that question. So now easy child may have rabbits and chickens. Since she's a half block away, I think I'll just go down there when I need something. lol

S

Signorina

Yum - fresh eggs. I buy them at the farmers market - $4 a dozen...hmmm...between your gardening skills and potentially fresh eggs - you may have a money generating possibility. especially if you can in the fall!

Star*

call 911........call 911
Okay someone tell me about this Tractor Supply Dog Food - and Someone tell me about the Amazon Dog food - Blue wild or whatever - (details please) I have an ALLERGY kid. AND FIVE dogs -

DRAT that Rachael Ray......We go through 40 lbs a week 1/2

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I go to TSC aka Tractor Supply Co (store). They have Diamond brand (pretty sure that was the name) with no corn filler.........lamb and rice, I think it was 33.00 for 40-50 lbs. I looked at so many I'm not positive of the weight except I'm sure it wasn't 30 lbs.

So far as I know Molly doesn't have an allergy to corn. Her issue was there wasn't enough of the other nutrients in what she was eating, amino acids especially. So the generic I picked up for her is high in amino acids and other things but does have the corn in it. That was Retriever Brand, they've had it before a very long time ago. And the kibble is small enough she can chew it ok. I'll supplement her with an egg a week just in case. (I'm sure she won't complain)

Janet has the scoop on amazon...........I don't remember who first mentioned the tractor supply place, but that's what caused me to go check ours. :)

donna723

Star, the Taste of the Wild dog foods have no corn, they're completely grain free. So many dog foods use corn as a filler and it's one of the most common allergens in dogs. My Ragan is allergic to corn (among other things) and she does great on TOTW. Corn is used as a cheap filler in dog foods. And the real kicker is that dogs can't digest corn! It goes right through them and out the other end. The only thing that corn does for dogs is to give them massive poops from all that indigestible "filler"! No nutritional value at all ... despite the Beneful people proudly showing a big corn cob on their bag like that was a GOOD thing! It's not! And a lot of the canned foods, even some of the more expensive ones, have corn in them if it's used as a thickener. Wheat is another very common allergen for dogs and some are even allergic to beef or poultry. In a pinch, mine can eat the Lamb & Rice foods because there is no corn but you have to read the labels very carefully.

It's was hard to find something that all four of mine could eat but they all do great on the TOTW. The only thing is that it's fairly expensive, especially if you have multiple dogs. I wish I could remember the name of it but Tractor Supply has come out with their own brand that is supposed to be comparable to TOTW but not as expensive. My friend has been getting it for her two huge Airedales - she read and compared all the labels and it's very good food - no grains, no fillers, no artificial colors or flavorings, just the good stuff. It's worth a try anyway.

DammitJanet

Taste of the Wild is expensive but like I said, I think my Chicken Soup is made by them. just no buffalo in it. Nina does get deer from table scraps. No Corn at all. Lots of fruits and veggies and lamb, chicken, salmon.

$4 for fresh eggs? OMG...we couldnt give them away when we raised them! We raised egg layers when the boys were in 4H and they each had 20 each and when it came laying time we had an average of 30 to 35 eggs a day and no way we could use that many. We tried to give them away and people wouldnt even take them. We let the dogs eat them. If you are going to actually buy chicks, get banty chicks so they wont get big unless you also want to buy them to eat. Then get the big ones. White rocks are good for eating. They get big fast. We had a white rock who got attacked by a dog and became a bit lame. We felt for her so she became something of a pet. We named her Bertha and by the time she died she weighed somewhere around 20 pounds and was as big around as a basketball. She would hobble over to us and climb up onto our laps to get hand fed.

donna723

OMG Janet, I remember those 4H chickens well! What a pain in the butt! My daughter did that for a couple of years when she was a kid. And around here, every single year, the chicks would come in when it was still too cold to put them outside! One year we had them barricaded in our pantry on sheets of newspaper! I can't remember now what variety they were but they got pretty big and they were red. And we got A LOT of eggs, more than we could use. And we couldn't give them away either because everybody elses kids had 4H chickens too. I made so many angel food cakes we got sick of them!

From what I understand, the Chicken Soup varieties are very good dog foods. I've never seen them available around here though. I think the TOTW comes in four different varieties- mine get the bison & venison but they also have a fish based variety and now there is a lamb based variation too. It's not all about money though. Some of the more expensive grocery store foods are nothing but junk food for dogs and for what people pay for them they could actually be buying a decent food for the same money. I had a friend at work who pampered and adored her little Shih Tzu. She fed her Beneful because she assumed that it must be good because it was so expensive. She was horrified when I gave her this link that compares the nutritional values of just about every brand and variety of dog food The Beneful she had been feeding her dog was basically just ground corn with artificial colors and flavorings, pressed into cute shapes and sprayed with lard so it tastes good to the dog! On a scale of 1 to 5 it was rated a "1". She changed her dog to a much better food for about thesame as she had been spending on the junk food! Check this out ...

www.dogfoodanalysis.com

BusynMember

Okay someone tell me about this Tractor Supply Dog Food - and Someone tell me about the Amazon Dog food - Blue wild or whatever - (details please) I have an ALLERGY kid. AND FIVE dogs -

DRAT that Rachael Ray......We go through 40 lbs a week 1/2

Star, my furbabies always eat well (probably better than hub and me). A lot of dogs are allergic to the additives in grocery store food pet food brands so we go to a pet store. The most I can afford is Diamond Naturals (the only Diamond brand that has a pretty good reputation). I get forty pounds for $27.00, which lasts a few months (I have three medium size dogs and my one little bitty dog...he gets more expensive, better food because it can last him six months). My Diamond Natural's eating dogs are 9, 9 and 10 and extremely healthy. I recommend that for dogs who can't tolerate grocery store brands, need natural food, and for those who can't afford that much for dog food.

Blue is very high quality dog food, but I believe it's quite expensive.

by the way, who DOESN'T swear at Walmart??? And, yes, food is ungodly expensive these days. Some dude on CNN who talks about making the most of your money said that those who shop at Aldi's save 55% on their grocery bills. I go to Aldi's first before I shop anywhere else. Then I get what they can't offer at our Super Walmart.

DammitJanet

I found my Chicken Soup at a specialty store the first time...right next to the Taste of the Wild...lol. I said...hmmm...49 vs 78? 49 sounds better. Then I found it on Amazon and its much cheaper. Tony hates that I wont buy food at the grocery store but I told him my dogs arent eating corn. Then the stupid dogs go and make a fool of me and eat a corn cob! LOL

DDD

I posted that Tractor Supply just added the Blue we buy for Ace...It's either Blue Mountain or Blue Diamond. I'm grumpy (day four with no cigarette at all and day seven of the Cough bug). Later. DDD

Star*

call 911........call 911
Diamonds Dog food PLANT is like - AND I KID YOU NOT - less than a mile from MY HOME - and IT"S more expensive HERE......ROFLM hounds tooth off.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Why do companies do that? You know the price things higher when they're made right in town? Growing up we had a Purina plant in town.........not once did mom let us buy purina, it was way too expensive! Doesn't make sense, they don't even have to transport the stuff. ugh

Oh.........I checked my reciept. The dog food was 50 lb for 18.99. I'm going back for more for sure, before prices jump again.

Star*

call 911........call 911
and......what the GOVERNMENT defines in a bag of kibble. (I'd like to ask THEM which one they'd eat?) THIS IS NOT.....and I reapeat NOT - a very GOOD definition of exactly WHAT you are feeding your animal. I will post that later.

AAFCO DEFINITIONS OF DOG FOOD INGREDIENTS

The AAFCO (Association of American Feed Control Officials) sets guidelines and definitions for animal feed, including pet foods.

• Alfalfa Meal - the aerial portion of the alfalfa plant, reasonably free from other crop plants, weeds and mold, which has been sun cured and finely ground.
  • Animal Digest - material which results from chemical and/or enzymatic hydrolysis of clean and un-decomposed animal tissue. The animal tissues used shall be exclusive of hair, horns, teeth, hooves and feathers, except in such trace amounts as might occur unavoidably in good factory practice and shall be suitable for animal feed.
  • Animal Fat - is obtained from the tissues of mammals and/or poultry in the commercial processes of rendering or extracting. It consists predominantly of glyceride esters of fatty acids and contains no additions of free fatty acids. If an antioxidant is used, the common name or names must be indicated, followed by the words "used as a preservative".
  • Barley - consists of at least 80 percent sound barley and must not contain more than 3 percent heat-damaged kernels, 6 percent foreign material, 20 percent other grains or 10 percent wild oats.
  • Barley Flour - soft, finely ground and bolted barley meal obtained from the milling of barley. It consists essentially of the starch and gluten of the endosperm.
  • Beef (meat) - is the clean flesh derived from slaughtered cattle, and is limited to that part of the striate muscle which is skeletal or that which is found in the tongue, in the diaphragm, in the heart, or in the esophagus; with or without the accompanying and overlying fat and the portions of the skin, sinew, nerve and blood vessels which normally accompany the flesh.
  • Beet Pulp ("beet pulp, dried molasses" and "beet pulp, dried, plain") - the dried residue from sugar beets.
  • Brewer's Rice - the dried extracted residue of rice resulting from the manufacture of wort (liquid portion of malted grain) or beer and may contain pulverized dried spent hops in an amount not to exceed 3 percent.
  • Brown Rice - unpolished rice after the kernels have been removed. Not a complete AAFCO definition.
  • Carrots - presumably carrots. No AAFCO definition.
  • Chicken - the clean combination of flesh and skin with or without accompanying bone, derived from the parts or whole carcasses of chicken or a combination thereof, exclusive of feathers, heads, feet and entrails.
  • Chicken By-Product Meal - consists of the ground, rendered, clean parts of the carcass of slaughtered chicken, such as necks, feet, undeveloped eggs and intestines, exclusive of feathers, except in such amounts as might occur unavoidable in good processing practice.
  • Chicken Liver Meal - chicken livers which have been ground or otherwise reduced in particle size.
  • Chicken Meal - chicken which has been ground or otherwise reduced in particle size.
  • Corn - unspecified corn product. Not a complete AAFCO definition.
  • Corn Bran - the outer coating of the corn kernel, with little or none of the starchy part of the germ.
  • Corn Germ Meal (Dry Milled) - ground corn germ which consists of corn germ with other parts of the corn kernel from which part of the oil has been removed and is the product obtained in the dry milling process of manufacture of corn meal, corn grits, hominy feed and other corn products.
  • Corn Gluten - that part of the commercial shelled corn that remains after the extraction of the larger portion of the starch, gluten, and term by the processes employed in the wet milling manufacture of corn starch or syrup.
  • Corn Gluten Meal - the dried residue from corn after the removal of the larger part of the starch and germ, and the separation of the bran by the process employed in the wet milling manufacture of corn starch or syrup, or by enzymatic treatment of the endosperm.
  • Corn Syrup - concentrated juice derived from corn.
  • Cracked Pearl Barley - cracked pearl barley resulting from the manufacture of pearl barley from clean barley.
  • Dehydrated Eggs - dried whole poultry eggs freed of moisture by thermal means.
  • Digest of Beef - material from beef which results from chemical and/or enzymatic hydrolysis of clean and un-decomposed tissue. The tissues used shall be exclusive of hair, horns, teeth and hooves, except in such trace amounts as might occur unavoidably in good factory practice.
  • Digest of Beef By-Products - material from beef which results from chemical and/or enzymatic hydrolysis of clean and un-decomposed tissue from non-rendered clean parts, other than meat, from cattle which includes, but is not limited to, lungs, spleen, kidneys, brain, livers, blood, bone, partially defatted low-temperature fatty tissue, and stomachs and intestines freed of their contents. It does not include hair, horns, teeth and hoofs.
  • Digest of Poultry By-Products - material which results from chemical and/or enzymatic hydrolysis of clean and un-decomposed tissue from non-rendered clean parts of carcasses of slaughtered poultry such as heads, feet, viscera, free from fecal content and foreign matter except in such trace amounts as might occur unavoidably in good factory practice.
  • Dried Animal Digest - dried material resulting from chemical and/or enzymatic hydrolysis of clean and un-decomposed animal tissue. The animal tissue used shall be exclusive of hair, horns, teeth, hooves and feathers, except in such trace amounts as might occur unavoidably in good factory practice and shall be suitable for animal feed. If it bears a name descriptive of its kind or flavor(s), it must correspond thereto.
  • Dried Kelp - dried seaweed of the families Laminaricae and Fu-caeae. If the product is prepared by artificial drying, it may be called "dehydrated kelp".
  • Dried Milk Protein - obtained by drying the coagulated protein residue resulting from the controlled co-precipitation of casein, lactalbumin and minor mild proteins from defatted milk.
  • Dried Reduced Lactose Whey - no AAFCO definition available.
  • Dried Whey - the product obtained by removing water from the whey. It contains not less than 11 percent protein nor less than 61 percent lactose.
  • Feeding Oatmeal - obtained in the manufacture of rolled oat groats or rolled oats and consists of broken oat groats, oat groat chips, and floury portions of the oat groats, with only such quantity of finely ground oat hulls as is unavoidable in the usual process of commercial milling. It must not contain more than 4 percent crude fiber.
  • Fish Meal - the clean, dried, ground tissue of un-decomposed whole fish or fish cuttings, either or both, with or without the extraction of part of the oil.
  • Ground Corn (ground ear corn) - the entire ear of corn ground, without husks, with no greater portion of cob than occurs in the ear corn in its natural state.
  • Ground De-hulled Oats - presumably ground cleaned oats with hulls removed (ground oat groats). Not an AAFCO definition.
  • Ground Wheat - presumably a coarser grind of wheat flour. Not an AAFCO definition.
  • Ground Whole Brown Rice (Ground Brown Rice) - the entire product obtained by grinding the rice kernels after the hulls have been removed.
  • Ground Whole Wheat - ground whole kernel, presumably equivalent to AAFCO's Wheat Mill Run, Wheat Middlings, Wheat Shorts or Wheat Red Dog, whose principal differences are in the percentage of crude fiber.
  • Ground Yellow Corn - same as ground corn, except that the corn used is yellow in color.
  • Kibbled Corn - obtained by cooking cracked corn under steam pressure and extruding from an expeller or other mechanical pressure device.
  • Lamb Bone Meal - (steamed) dried & ground product sterilized by cooking un-decomposed bones with steam under pressure. Grease, gelatin and meat fiber may or may not be removed.
  • Lamb Digest - material resulting from chemical and/or enzymatic hydrolysis of clean and un-decomposed lamb. The tissue used shall be exclusive of hair, horns, teeth and hooves, except in such trace amounts as might occur unavoidably in good factory practice and shall be suitable for animal feed.
  • Lamb Fat - obtained from the tissues of lamb in the commercial processes of rendering or extracting. It consists predominantly of glyceride esters of fatty acids and contains no additions of free fatty acids. If an antioxidant is used, the common name or names must be indicated, followed by the words "used as a preservative".
  • Lamb Meal - the rendered product from lamb tissues, exclusive of blood, hair, hoof, horn, hide trimmings, manure, stomach and rumen contents except in such amounts as may occur unavoidably in good processing practices.
  • Linseed Meal - the product obtained by grinding the cake or chips which remain after removal of most of the oil from flaxseed by a mechanical extraction process. It must contain no more than 10 percent fiber. The words "mechanical extracted" are not required when listing as an ingredient in the manufactured food.
  • Liver - the hepatic gland (of whatever species is listed).
  • Meat and Bone Meal - the rendered product from mammal tissues, including bone, exclusive of blood, hair, hoof, horn, hide trimmings, manure, stomach and rumen contents, except in such amounts as may occur unavoidably in good processing practices.
  • Meat By-Products - the non rendered, clean parts, other than meat, derived from slaughtered mammals. It includes, but is not limited to, lungs, spleen, kidneys, brain, livers, blood, bone, partially defatted low-temperature fatty tissue and stomachs and intestines freed of their contents. It does not include hair, horns, teeth and hooves.
  • Meat Meal - the rendered product from mammal tissues, exclusive of blood, hair, hoof, horn, hide trimmings, manure, stomach and rumen contents except in such amounts as may occur unavoidably in good processing practices.
  • Peas - peas.
  • Potatoes - potatoes.
  • Poultry By-Product Meal - consists of the ground, rendered, clean parts of the carcass of slaughtered poultry, such as necks, feet, undeveloped eggs, intestines, exclusive of feathers, except in such amounts as might occur unavoidably in good processing practices.
  • Poultry Digest - material which results from chemical and/or enzymatic hydrolysis of clean and un-decomposed poultry tissue.
  • Poultry Fat (feed grade) - primarily obtained from the tissue of poultry in the commercial process of rendering or extracting. It shall contain only the fatty matter natural to the product produced under good manufacturing practices and shall contain no added free fatty acids or other materials obtained from fat. It must contain not less than 90 percent total fatty acids and not more than 3 percent of un-saponifiables and impurities. It shall have a minimum titer of 33 degrees Celsius. If an antioxidant is used, the common name or names must be indicated, followed by the word "preservative(s)".
  • Powdered Cellulose - purified, mechanically disintegrated cellulose prepared by processing alpha cellulose obtained as a pulp from fibrous plant materials.
  • Rice Bran - the pericarp or bran layer and germ of the rice, with only such quantity of hull fragments, chipped, broken, or brewer's rice, and calcium carbonate as is unavoidable in the regular milling of edible rice.
  • Rice Flour
  • Soy Flour
  • Soybean Hulls - consist primarily of the outer covering of the soybean.
  • Soybean Meal (De-hulled, solvent Extracted) - obtained by grinding the flakes remaining after removal of most of the oil from de-hulled soybeans by a solvent extraction process.
  • Soybean Meal (Mechanical Extracted) - obtained by grinding the cake or chips which remain after removal of most of the oil from the soybeans by a mechanical extraction process.
  • Soybean Mill Run - composed of soybean hulls and such bean meats that adhere to the hulls and such bean meats that adhere to the hulls which results from normal milling operations in the production of de-hulled soybean meal.
  • Tallow - animal fats with titer above 40 degrees Celsius.
  • Turkey - unspecified turkey. Not a complete AAFCO description.
  • Turkey Meal - the ground clean combination of flesh and skin with or without accompanying bone, derived from the parts or whole carcasses of turkey or a combination thereof, exclusive of feathers, heads, feet and entrails.
  • Wheat Bran - the coarse outer covering of the wheat kernel as separated from cleaned and scoured wheat in the usual process of commercial milling.
  • Wheat Flour - wheat flour together with fine particles of wheat bran, wheat germ and the offal from the "tail of the mill". This product must be obtained in the usual process of commercial milling and must not contain more than 1.5 percent crude fiber.
  • Wheat Germ Meal - consists chiefly of wheat germ together with some bran and middlings or short. It must contain not less than 25 percent crude protein and 7 percent crude fat.
  • Wheat Mill Run - coarse wheat bran, fine particles of wheat bran, wheat shorts, wheat germ, wheat flour and the offal from the "tail of the mill". This product must be obtained in the usual process of commercial milling and must contain not more than 9.5 percent crude fiber.
  • Whey - the product obtained as a fluid by separating the coagulum from milk, cream or skimmed milk and from which a portion of the milk fat may have been removed.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Glyceryl Monostearate
A lipophilic non-ionic surfactant with HLB of 3.6 - 4.2. It has effects of emulsification, dispersion, foaming, defoaming, starch anti-aging and fat agglomeration control, and is widely used in foodstuffs, cosmetic, medicine and plastic processing industries. It is an emulsifier used the most widely and in the largest quantities in the foodstuff industry.
A thickening, emulsifying, antisticking and antistalant agent. Can contain up to 200 ppm butylated hydroxytoluene (BHT) as a preservative (see also BHT). Depending on method of manufacture, it can also contain glyceryl distearate (42-44%), glyceryl tristearate (20-23%), free glycerol (3-5%). Other impurities include mono-, di-, and triesters of related fatty acids as well as unreacted fatty acids. Due to the uncertainty of chemical additives, this ingredient should be avoided.

Phosphoric Acid
A clear colorless liquid, H3PO4, used in fertilizers, detergents, food flavoring, and pharmaceuticals.
A harmless but unnecessary ingredient, used in inexpensive, poor quality dog food as flavoring, emulsifier and discoloration inhibitor. Used for example as a flavoring for Coca Cola.

Propylene Glycol
A colorless viscous hygroscopic liquid, CH3CHOHCH2OH, used in antifreeze solutions, in hydraulic fluids, and as a solvent.
Used as humectant in semi-moist kibble to keep it from drying out. May be toxic if consumed in large amounts, and should definitely not be an ingredient in a food an animal will eat daily for weeks, months or even years of its life. In countries of the European Union, propylene glycol is not cleared as a general-purpose food grade product or direct food additive.

Corn Gluten
I have not been able to locate an official definition of this product, but since it is contained in only one formulation of one manufacturer (Excel Chunks/Mini Chunks), I assume it is the same as "Corn Gluten Meal".
An inexpensive by-product of human food processing which offers very little nutritional value and serves mainly to bind food together. It is not a harmful ingredient but should be avoided simply for its poor nutritional value and quality.

Wheat Gluten
AAFCO: The tough, viscid nitrogenous substance remaining when wheat is washed to remove the starch.
An inexpensive byproduct of human food processing with almost no nutritional value left, serves mostly as a binder.

Brewers Rice
Also appears in ingredient lists as ground Brewers Rice.
AAFCO: The small milled fragments of rice kernels that have been separated from the larger kernels of milled rice.
A processed rice product that is missing many of the nutrients contained in whole ground rice and brown rice. Contrary to what many pet food companies want to make you believe, this is not a high quality ingredient, just much cheaper than whole grain rice.

Cereal Food Fines
AAFCO: Particles of breakfast cereals obtained as a byproduct of their processing.
An inexpensive byproduct of human food processing of unknown source, quality, possible chemical residue, sweeteners or other additives.

Feeding Oat Meal
AAFCO: Feeding oat meal is obtained in the manufacture of rolled oat groats or rolled oats and consists of broken oat groats, oat groat chips, and floury portions of the oat groats, with only such quantity of finely ground oat hulls as is unavoidable in the usual process of commericial milling.
A food-grade fractionated grain, byproduct from human food processing, that is not as nutritionally valuable as the product obtained from whole oats.

Grain Fermentation Solubles
AAFCO: The dried material resulting from drying the water soluble materials after separation of suspended solids from grain fermentation.
An inexpensive byproduct of human food and beverage production which adds little or no nutritional value to pet foods.

Maltodextrins & Fermentation Solubles
I have not been able to locate an official definition for this product so far.
A brewery byproduct much like "grain fermentation solubles", with some maltodextrin from malted barley. Better suited for use in short term feeding like e.g. livestock than as an ingredient in pet food.

Potato Product
AAFCO: Potato pieces, peeling, culls, etc., obtained from the manufacture of processed potato products for human consumption.
A cheap byproduct of human food processing that has been stripped of much of the nutritional benefits that whole, fresh potatos offer.

Soy Flour
AAFCO: The finely powdered material resulting from the screened and graded product after removal of most of the oil from selected, sound, cleaned and dehulled soybeans by a mechanical or solvent extraction process.
Much of the nutritional value is lost already during processing of the grain to flour. May contain particles of hull, germ, and the offal from the tail of the mill.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Blue 2 (artificial color)

The color additive FD&C Blue No. 2 is principally the disodium salt of 2-(1,3-dihydro-3-oxo-5-sulfo-2H-indol-2-ylidene)- 2,3-dihydro-3-oxo-1H-indole-5-sulfonic acid with smaller amounts of the disodium salt of 2-(1,3-dihydro-3-oxo-7-sulfo-2H-indol-2-ylidene)-2,3-dihydro-3-oxo-1H-indole-5-sulfonic acid and the sodium salt of 2-(1,3-dihydro-3-oxo-2H-indol-2-ylidene)-2,3-dihydro-3-oxo-1H-indole-5-sulfonic acid. Additionally, FD&C Blue No. 2 is obtained by heating indigo (or indigo paste) in the presence of sulfuric acid. The color additive is isolated and subjected to purification procedures. The indigo (or indigo paste) used above is manufactured by the fusion of N-phenylglycine (prepared from aniline and formaldehyde) in a molten mixture of sodamide and sodium and potassium hydroxides under ammonia pressure. The indigo is isolated and subjected to purification procedures prior to sulfonation.
The largest study suggested, but did not prove, that this dye caused brain tumors in male mice. The FDA concluded that there is "reasonable certainty of no harm", but personally I'd rather avoid this ingredient and err on the side of caution.

Red 40 (artificial color)

The color additive FD&C Red No. 40 is principally the disodium salt of 6-hydroxy-5-[(2-methoxy-5-methyl-4-sulfophenyl)azo]-2-naphthalenesulfonic acid.
The most widely used food dye. While this is one of the most-tested food dyes, the key mouse tests were flawed and inconclusive. An FDA review committee acknowledged problems, but said evidence of harm was not "consistent" or "substantial." Like other dyes, Red 40 is used mainly in junk foods. Personally I'd rather avoid this ingredient and err on the side of caution.

Titanium Dioxide

A white powder, TiO2, used as an exceptionally opaque white pigment and dough conditioner.

Animal Fat

AAFCO: Obtained from the tissues of mammals and/or poultry in the commercial processes of rendering or extracting. It consists predominantly of glyceride esters of fatty acids and contains no additions of free fatty acids. If an antioxidant is used, the common name or names must be indicated, followed by the words "used as a preservative".
Note that the animal source is not specified and is not required to originate from "slaughtered" animals. The rendered animals can be obtained from any source, so there is no control over quality or contamination. Any kind of animal can be included: "4-D animals" (dead, diseased, disabled, or dying prior to slaughter), goats, pigs, horses, rats, misc. roadkill, animals euthanized at shelters, restaurant and supermarket refuse and so on.

Beef Tallow

AAFCO: Fat with titer above 40 degrees Celsius, obtained from the tissue of cattle in the commercial process of rendering. Also called Beef Fat.
Dogs and cats like the taste of this fat, so it is often used to make low-quality food more palatable. Beef tallow is very low in linoleic acid and much cheaper for the pet food industry to use than a good quality vegetable oil or nutritionally rich chicken fat.

Lard

AAFCO: The rendered fat of swine.
Very low in linoleic acid but very attractive to pets, used to make poor quality food more appealing. Few nutritional benefits.

Poultry Fat

AAFCO: Obtained from the tissue of poultry in the commercial process of rendering or extracting. It shall contain only the fatty matter natural to the product produced under good manufacturing practices and shall contain no added free fatty acids or other materials obtained from fat. It must contain not less than 90 percent total fatty acids and not more than 3 percent of unsaponifiables and impurities. It shall have a minimum titer of 33 degrees Celsius. If an antioxidant is used, the common name or names must be indicated, followed by the word "preservative(s)".
Note how in this product the source is not defined as "slaughtered poultry". The rendered fowl can be obtained from any source, so there is no control over quality or contamination. Any kind of animal can be included: "4-D animals" (dead, diseased, disabled, or dying prior to slaughter), turkey, chicken, geese, buzzard, seagulls, misc. roadkill, birds euthanized at shelters and so on.

Vegetable Oil
AAFCO: The product of vegetable origin obtained by extracting the oil from seeds or fruits which are processed for edible purposes.
The source vegetables for this oil (and therefore the nutrient properties or lack thereof) are unknown. Wouldn't you like to know just what exactly you are feeding your pet?

Non toxic but an unnecessary ingredient that could just as well be left out.

Yellow 5 (artificial color)

The color additive FD&C Yellow No. 5 is principally the trisodium salt of 4,5-dihydro-5-oxo-1-(4-sulfophenyl)-4- [4-sulfophenyl-azo]-1H-pyrazole-3-carboxylic acid (CAS Reg. No. 1934-21- 0). To manufacture the additive, 4-amino-benzenesulfonic acid is diazotized using hydrochloric acid and sodium nitrite. The diazo compound is coupled with 4,5-dihydro-5-oxo-1-(4-sulfophenyl)-1H-pyrazole-3-carboxylic acid or with the methyl ester, the ethyl ester, or a salt of this carboxylic acid. The resulting dye is purified and isolated as the sodium salt.
The second most widely used coloring can cause mild allergic reactions, primarily in aspirin-sensitive persons.

Yellow 6 (artificial color)
The color additive FD&C Yellow No. 6 is principally the disodium salt of 6-hydroxy-5-[(4-sulfophenyl)azo]-2-naphthalenesulfonic acid (CAS Reg. No. 2783-94-0). The trisodium salt of 3-hydroxy-4-[(4- sulfophenyl)azo]-2,7-naphthalenedisulfonic acid may be added in small amounts. The color additive is manufactured by diazotizing 4-aminobenzenesulfonic acid using hydrochloric acid and sodium nitrite or sulfuric acid and sodium nitrite. The diazo compound is coupled with 6-hydroxy-2-naphthalene-sulfonic acid. The dye is isolated as the sodium salt and dried. The trisodium salt of 3-hydroxy-4-[(4-sulfophenyl)azo]-2,7-naphthalenedisulfonic acid which may be blended with the principal color is prepared in the same manner except the diazo benzenesulfonic acid is coupled with 3-hydroxy-2,7-naphthalenedisulfonic acid.
Industry-sponsored animal tests indicated that this dye, the third most widely used, causes tumors of the adrenal gland and kidney. In addition, small amounts of several carcinogens contaminate Yellow 6. However, the FDA reviewed those data and found reasons to conclude that Yellow 6 does not pose a significant cancer risk to humans. Yellow 6 may also cause occasional allergic reactions. Another ingredient I would rather avoid and err on the side of caution rather than risking my pet's health.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I'm seriously trying to figure out how big business convinced society that it was "better" for them to feed our pets.

As far as animal parts go though........dogs would've and did eat those parts long before dog food came into existence. (parts that people wouldn't eat ect)

But this is why I don't feel guilty supplementing mine from the table. blech

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Most of it, ya know, OK. What gets me is the chemicals.

Propylene Glycol. Antifreeze? We're supposed to keep this AWAY from our pets but they put it into their FOOD?!

Star*

call 911........call 911
Propylene Glycol is only sold to veterinarians in large amounts. ODDLY ENOUGH? It's what they told me to cut L.C.'s Ivermectin with, because the stuff I bought is actually Cattle and Swine wormer called Novomectin. It's the same ingredient that is in your Heartguard, and you can give it straight - but you really have to know what you are doing. I tasted it, like I do everything I give the kids and OMG it IS SO NASTY - So I called a breeder friend and asked if I could give it straight - she said yes but it's better to mix it with food. So now LC gets her special Peanut butter bread in the morning. She's no dummy - she knows the medicine is in there, but I told her she has to eat it for the mange to go away. Poor kid. We've been fighting this the vets way for nearly a year with no results. Maybe this "rescue dog" way will work. Fingers crossed.

DammitJanet

Idiot here bought fake vanilla that has propyline glycol in it and I about had a fit. Why not just buy the real stuff? I read the ingredients to him and asked him if he always liked eating antifreeze...lmao.