House plants that are easy to care for

BusynMember

I love plants, nature really. But my attempt at keeping plants alive is dismal yet I am going to try again when we buy a house. The question about what flowers to buy will be later.

Today I am wondering if there is a lovely, hardy house plant I can buy that will grow and thrive with a carer who doesn't have that natural touch with plants. I want to practice and have success. Anyone have a suggestion of a house plant for people like me who love plants but can't seem to keep them in good health?

If anyone has a suggestion I greatly appreciate it. We will be traveling for three months every winter so my daughter will need to be able to care for it when we are gone. Or I suppose we can load it in the RV and take it with???

Pink Elephant

Gosh, so many.

• Aloe is a great one, and possesses medicinal benefits to boot.
  • Christmas Cactus
  • Jade Plant (one of my favourites)
  • Spider Plant
  • Philodendron
  • Dracaena
  • Kalanchoe (so pretty)!
  • Pothos
  • Echeveria (another favourite of mine)
  • English Ivy
  • Shamrock Plant

And so many more...

AppleCori

Try a philodendron first.

Easiest plant in the world to keep alive.

You can even get a cutting from someone that already has one.

Jabberwockey

Plastic ones.

That being said, as Lil said, Wandering Jew is fairly easy to take care of as is Dumb Cane. I have both in my office and the only care they get is my worker waters a few times per week. They have been mostly ignored when I was on vacation and he couldn't get into my office so they've gone for a week or more at a time without water and have been fine.

BusynMember

Thanks thanks, thanks and thanks!!!

Never heard of Wandering Jew. I am originally a Jew and II wandere from that...lol. Symbolism maybe? I like the name. Maybe I will try this first.

Jabberwockey

Never heard of Wandering Jew. I am originally a Jew and II wandere from that...lol. Symbolism maybe? I like the name. Maybe I will try this first.

You can start them from a cutting very easy. Just poke a hole in the dirt, stick the broken stem in, and water. Main thing is make sure they get plenty of sun. I got my cutting from a very sickly looking plant but it never got sun. Mine gets lots and looks great!

Pink Elephant

Plastic ones.

That being said, as Lil said, Wandering Jew is fairly easy to take care of as is Dumb Cane. I have both in my office and the only care they get is my worker waters a few times per week. They have been mostly ignored when I was on vacation and he couldn't get into my office so they've gone for a week or more at a time without water and have been fine.
Plastic plants? Ugh-uh, no way, out of the question, absolutely not, forget it. :)