Housekeeper question

Nomad

Staff member
Lol! We sometimes talk too! I have several little twists to my situation...I thought hourly would be more fair for both of us, but I'm not sure. I do appreciate that she rarely takes a sick day, that she is honest, pleasant and usually tries her best. She does have days that she is literally on the cell phone about 90% of her time. On those days, she makes weird mistakes, like leaving the garbage pail on the bed, etc. but, we are only human. Maybe she has a difficult child in her family...I don't know. Overall, I'm pleased and plan on giving her a raise. Very much appreciate the input here...it's been helpful. :)

witzend

I have a 1,700 sf home on one level. My housekeeper comes weekly and I pay her $60 each week. She

• Sweeps all floors
  • mops all floors
  • vacuums all carpeting
  • scrub & disinfect two bathrooms
  • wipes all surfaces
  • dusts furniture (I clear it off first)
  • cleans mirrors
  • small requests (wipe the dog dirt off the door today...)
  • changes bedding (usually only one bed unless we have company)
  • kitchen - clean front and tops of all appliances, wipe out microwave, clean & disinfect sink & countertops
  • empty vacuum cleaner after use
  • empty all trash to the outside garbage can
I'm lucky - she even brings me tamales from time to time. YUM!

I did have a woman coming who slacked off more and more as time wore on. She was always out getting a smoke, talking to her daughter, wanting to gossip with me. I finally just told her that I couldn't afford her anymore and found someone else. I was very specific with the current cleaner - I can't do it, so you must do it or I will find someone who will.

2much2recover

I did have a woman coming who slacked off more and more as time wore on. She was always out getting a smoke, talking to her daughter, wanting to gossip with me. I finally just told her that I couldn't afford her anymore and found someone else. I was very specific with the current cleaner - I can't do it, so you must do it or I will find someone who will.
And this is why I don't currently have one - after a while they start to slack off and then still want to be paid the same money WTF :rolleyes:

Nomad

Staff member
Good points Witz and 2 Much. Well....husband had a fit when I suggested giving her a raise. He suggested I simply call the woman next door with a very similar house. To my shock, we are paying the exact same thing. However, I pay extra for any ironing. So, for the time being, I'm leaving things alone and maybe will give her a raise in The summer or next January. Today, she was on the phone a fair amount of the time. I had to go for medical tests and was out for a few hours. I noticed she missed a few things like emptying the dishwasher, vacuuming the little rug in the bedroom and weird things like my sneakers were in the middle of the master bathroom (when I had left them neatly tucked in the corner). I suspect she was on the phone the entire time I was gone. She makes mistakes when talking on the phone and was doing a lot of this right before I left. I suppose husband was right, he feels she makes a very good wage. He only got a 1% raise this year and he is considered an exemplary worker. So, I suspect he feels like she should do a little better and then should get a small raise. I see his point (s). Such a soap opera. I'll remind her nicely about the items she has forgotten.

greenrene

I pay someone $10/hour, but she is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo sloooooooooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. There are benefits, though. She helps me with the baby, will babysit if I have an appointment, etc. I did have one girl here a few years ago, and she could do more in 1 day than my current one does in 3, but she quit.

Confused

Thats a really good question. Although we dont have a housekeeper but on occasion hire yardwork help. So, I dont think my estimate will help you as its different work, but for a small patch of grass/weeds to be mowed, weed-eating in the sidewalk cracks is usually between $30-$40 for that day( depends if they weed the weeds or pull and if the they haul anything away)

Nomad

Staff member
Kathy...basically, yes. It is on the list for her to do if she has time. Recently, I stopped giving her a list, because she had it memorized. I left the house and came back at 6. She was suppose to finish at 6 and start ironing at 6. Ironing starts after work, if she would like to make more money...it is up to her and I pay her extra for this. She had already started the ironing, so I know she started early. Actually, I wouldnt begrudge her starting a little early if everything was done. She also left the cleaning supplies in the master bath...just forgot some things and some little oddities. She has days that her cell phone is in her ear almost constantly. I figured she was either bored or had personal issues. But, on those days, she tends to mess up a little. Again, I definitely wouldn't begrudge her this if it was once in a blue moon, but I would say she does this pushing 50% of the time.

susiestar

Roll With It
My mom never wanted the housekeeper to do the decluttering and easier cleaning. She goes through and does most of that herself the day before. Since she retired, she often works with the housekeeper to get projects and deep cleaning done, things like getting the mugs of the mug rack top shelves and cleaning them, or cleaning out the display cabinets or hall drawers, etc...

I guess Mom is truly fortunate because she and the housekeeper (A) are good friends and they chat nonstop as they clean. Even with that, A doesn't slack off or 'push'. If mom cannot be there, A just does what needs to be doing. She is great and truly is a part of the family as far as my folks are concerned.