Houston, we have deadbolts! Woo hoo!

TerryJ2

Gosh, I like these things. :D:D:D
Just the solid sound of the "click," the feel of the door ... I had no fears that my difficult child would break into my ofc last night, plus, the Christmas presents are in the walk-in closet in my room.

The handyman said that if difficult child wants to get in, he can, but he'd have to do damage to the door. I specified that these locks would show damage and he wouldn't be able to sneak, and the handyman said, "Absolutely." :D

We told difficult child he has to pay the portion of the bill used for lock changing, which is $100. (4 hrs, 100/hr. I had lots of other work done around the house!)
He was ticked but he had to agree, it was a logical consequence. :surprise::D

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Terry--

I know it feels funny to be happy about locking your home down but--

I'm happy for you! Peace of Mind-YAY!!!!

Congratulations!!!

--DaisyFace

mstang67chic

Going Green
We've had them for so long now that I'm sick of living behind locks and deadbolts but....

WOOOOO HOOOOOO!!!!!! I remember that initial excitement and it's great! No worries about things stolen/destroyed/eaten, you can buy what you want and have a safe place to keep things! Congrats!

Just be sure that you keep any windows in locked rooms locked. We had "someone" break into our room by removing the very heavy window air conditioner. I didn't even think about it. After that though, I cut a piece of wood that fit between the bottom pane and the top of the entire frame to keep the window from being opened more.

I would also suggest having an extra key made and hide it somewhere in the house where only you and husband know about it. It takes some talent and is rare but husband and I have managed to lock each other out of our room before. Usually if we go somewhere in the same vehicle and the other doesn't bring his/her keys....then for whatever reason, the non driving one gets dropped off (still without his/her keys) and the driver has more errands to run. As I said, it's rare but it does happen. LOL We also managed to accidently lock the cat in our room a couple of times too. :916blusher:

DammitJanet

We couldnt deadbolt our doors. Mobile homes dont do that well. Flimsy frames. I did get a really good safe and bolt it to my bathroom counter top. That sucker isnt going anywhere unless you take the whole counter with you and its about 10 feet long so its gonna be hard to get out the door...lol. Not to mention the sinks that are attached to it!

susiestar

Roll With It
AWESOME!! I am glad you have some sense of security now. I hope that you always have a cell phone in there (on a charger so it NEVER runs out of power) that you can get to in case of emergency. If difficult child is being threatening or abusing, or has hurt you, you can say you have to go to the bathroom and go to your room. Lock yourself in (assuming the bathroom is connected to your bedroom). Then you can call for help from a phone that he cannot monitor or take away from you.

aninom

I tried the lock on my bedroom door yesterday, it won't work because the frame is fitted badly vis-a-vis the door. Let me tell you I feel JEALOUS every time I see this thread :sick:

But also very relieved for you. SO much stress melts away when you know you have that one safe space! I've found that charged cellphone + keys with you at all times + a pair of shoes, jacket + back-up wallet available in the safe room could have averted a lot of bad situations.

mstang67chic

Going Green
You can't help but chuckle. Where else but here would people be celebrating and offering congratulations for getting deadbolts on INTERIOR doors???

:rofl:

Iamwipedouttoo

You can't help but chuckle. Where else but here would people be celebrating and offering congratulations for getting deadbolts on INTERIOR doors???

:rofl:

I've been considering buying a locking door for each of our bedrooms to keep difficult child out...I thought the same thing when I read this! Funny.

I know I've said it before but I am so glad this board is here!

JJJ

Yippie! We originally got the locks to keep everyone physically safe from Kanga and now they are used to keep stuff away from Eeyore. We bought the keypad deadbolts because if I had to keep track of a key! :rofl: I'd be locked out of everywhere!

mstang67chic

Going Green
JJJ, like I said, it takes some talent to lock each other out of the room but husband and I have managed it quite nicely! LOL That's why I recommended the extra key but of course, now I don't remember where it's hidden. :slap:

TerryJ2

I keep the keys in my pocket at all times. However, the TV cord is too big to keep in my pocket, which is why I hid it and then lost it 2 mo's ago ...