How about movies that stay with you and haunt you?

BusynMember

I have two: "Gone with the Wind" (the book is ten times better, if that's possible) and Schindler's List. Another movie that stuck with me, and I felt had a rather profound message for all it's humor, was "Groundhog's Day." First of all it was filmed in Woodstock, IL, at the time just one town over and it was cool to see that town in a movie! Secondly, I just loved the message. Yep, there is a message.

You?

Scent of Cedar *

Lion King

Braveheart

Christmas Vacation ("The little lights are not blinking!", "Maybe if you didn't feed him from the table, Eddie?", "Audrey's eyes are frozen open, Clark.", "I pledge allegiance...." and, our personal favorite, "Sh***** was full!")

:O)

A Christmas Story (Especially the part where Ralphie goes blind because his mom punished bad language with soap in the mouth. I am tuned in horrified at that part.)

Point of No Return (Makes me think of difficult child daughter.)

Gone With the Wind

Devil's Advocate ("Vanity. My favorite sin.")

Cedar

Lil

Wow...this is tough. I love movies, all kinds.

Of course, if the criteria is "haunt you" then you have to go to the more "unpleasant" movies:

Distressing/moving/dramatic: Probably Sophie's Choice. Schindler's List is a close second. The subject matter alone is enough.

Horror Movies: Prince of Darkness. This is a 1987 movie that just creeped me the hell out. Still does if I think about it too much.

Now...if you just want "stay with you" movies:

Chick flicks: Under the Tuscan Sun. May well be my all-time favorite...certainly in the top 2-3. "Unbelievably good things can happen." (Plus, there was a time in my life when the thought of just leaving everything and starting over somewhere new where no one knew me really appealed to me. These days the Villa in Tuscany (with Jabber) really appeals to me. :) )

Romance: The Quiet Man. This was my mother's favorite movie and until Under the Tuscan Sun, I would have said it was mine, even if that's the only reason.

Comedies: Monty Python and the Holy Grail. I can quote pretty much the entire movie from heart. (So can Jabber.)

Animated: Am I being too trendy to say Frozen? I love that movie! Finally one that has the women doing something other than waiting for their prince to save them, the "true love" is between siblings, and there's the whole bit about "let it go".

I just realized there's no sci-fi on my list, which is weird because the vast majority of what I watch is sci-fi/fantasy/super hero stuff. But really, it kind of gets interchangeable after a while. Of those genres...probably Serenity. Firefly was such an awesome show and the movie was just as brilliantly written.

BusynMember

I really dislike sci-fi most of the time. I appreciate that YOU appreciate it. I am way too logical. I just can't get into anything that has aliens in it...lol. "Ground Hogs Day" is about as far as I usually go.

However, I forgot to mention the Star Wars Movies that fascinated me...4,5,6. I saw them I don't know how many times and pulled poor 37 with me. He didn't really care for them...lol. At the time, there were no VCR's (oh, how I age myself!). I took him to see "Return of the Jedi" eight times.

In truth, I had a very strong crush on Harrison Ford back in the day. So did all the women in our neighborhood. WE would have Star Wars parties when VCRs finally hit.

However, there was something so brilliant about those movies and with such a simple but strong message that I couldn't get enough. I still watch them when they come on.

I could have done without 1,2 and 3.

BusynMember

No. I did not enjoy the Indiana Jones films. Not sure why. I tried. Husband loves them.

I never liked anything else Harrison Ford was in and never thought he was as hot as he was as Han Solo :)

As for being good looking, last I saw him, and it was some time ago, I still thought he looked really good!

Scent of Cedar *

In truth, I had a very strong crush on Harrison Ford back in the day. So did all the women in our neighborhood. WE would have Star Wars parties when VCRs finally hit.

I love this.

I am right there with you on Star Wars. Even the early ones, with the bar scenes and Chewy and the Millennium Falcon, that hot rodding bucket of bolts. (There is a theory that, for our generation, the Star Wars movies represented the Hero's Journey. I think that could be true.)

Or what about Lord of the Rings? "My precious...."

Ewwww!

Cedar

The spookiest movie I ever saw has to have been A Clockwork Orange.

I wish I'd never seen it, at all.

Lil

what about Lord of the Rings? "My precious...."

Hey! Love LoTR, but the books are better.

Then again, books are always better I think. Maybe we need another thread?
The spookiest movie I ever saw has to have been A Clockwork Orange.
I wish I'd never seen it, at all.

Ditto.

Spooky? No. Disgusting? Yes. Jabber likes it quite a bit. It must be a guy thing, because - ew. Gotta admit, I've seen it several times (or at least parts of it) because he likes it. I find it disturbing every time. Just, ew.

Another is American History X. I've seen it once and the murder scene is burned in my brain. I don't know why. I've seen much more graphic murder scenes, but something about that man's teeth on the curb just makes me shiver. I have always found it really disturbing too.

donna723

I have my little list of old favorites that I never get tired of and have seen countless times. My all time favorite is always going to be To Kill A Mockingbird. I know every word by heart. It's so beautifully done and so moving. My ideal man has always been Atticus Finch! Another one I've seen over and over again is The Color Purple. And every time I see it, when it gets to the end where she's reunited with her sister and the children that were taken from her, I'm sitting there blubbering like a fool, sobbing hysterically. And if I need a good laugh, any of the Monty Python movies will do, but my all time favorite is The Life of Brian, especially the musical number at the very end. It's even funnier if you've heard about some of the things that happened when they were filming that segment.

Last edited:

BusynMember

Absolutely could not get past "Lord of the Rings" without falling asleep. I have a bad habit of falling asleep while watching movies unless they are fast paced thrillers of any sort. Plus they have to be good.

BusynMember

I love movies t hat can really scare me. Being very logical, few really can, but I love the element of surprise.

Shock and awe, gory movies, science fictions, Stephen King stuff (except Carrie) can not scare me. I was three months pregnant with 37 when I saw Carrie and I still remember when the hand popped out of the grave. A lot of people screamed, but I screamed so much my then husband took me into the lobby and I thought he was going to slap me to shut me up. It was that bad. For some reason, THAT part really scared me. Maybe the hormones. Many that's why 37...has issues??

Tanya M

Living with an attitude of gratitude
Staff member
I too was very moved by Schindler's List. I watched it with my dad who's Jewish, very hard for him as he lost family in those camps.

Shawshank Redmeption (did you know it was written by Stephen King) One of my favorite lines "You better get busy living or get busy dying"

My favorite Christmas movies, It's a Wonderful Life and Scrooge (the version with Patrick Stewart)

Wiped Out

Staff member
Wow-good thing husband is not on the board or he would probably have about 100 movies to list! He is a total movie man (although he loves to read too). If you give him a year he can usually tell you who won best actor, actress, and best movie!

My favorite Christmas movies are definitely "It's a Wonderful Life" and "A Christmas Story" (but I like a ton of them).

My all time favorite movie is "The Trouble with Angels" because it is so innocent and funny.

Movies that haunt me, are probably "Schindler's List" and "Unbroken" (even though that is recent), A movie that truly haunted me was "Rosemary's Baby" (I will never watch it again). "The Exorcist" is another haunting one.

Movies that stay with me include: "To Sir With Love" (Love this one), "The Godfather", Harry Potter movies (all of them but I love the books even more), "The Wizard of Oz"

I could probably go on and on-but will stop for now! Great thread MWM!

KTMom91

My all time favorite movie is The Shining. I love it. I can watch it over and over. No idea why it appeals to me so much. I love the book, too.

My favorite Christmas movie is White Christmas. Sweet, funny...such a difference from The Shining!

Favorite comedy is Young Frankenstein. I love Gene Wilder.

BusynMember

I love "The Wizard of Oz" and MANY Disney movies for kids. I like the more than adult movies! Sonic loves them so I sometimes watch with him.

Favorite Chritmas move hands down is "Elf." First time I saw it, I truly thought I was going to wet my pants :) I LMAO. I was with the kids and we were all hysterical. Heck, the whole movie theatre was. God bless Will Ferrell.

My favorite comedy movies, hands down, are again older movies, which I feel are way better than current ones. Airplane would top the list.And all of the Leslie Dreben's loony movies. Laughed till I creid.

Hate to sound old fashion, but seems like movies are now more about special effects than good acting and good plots. JMO

Kathy813

Staff member
The ending of The Boy in the Striped Pajamas stunned me and literally left me sitting there unable to move or speak for a few minutes. It will always haunt me. For those unfamiliar with the movie, it is a holocaust movie.

On a much lighter note, I would say my favorite movies are The Godfather (all of them), To Kill a Mockingbird, and Anne of a Thousand Days.

~Kathy

Last edited:
Holocaust movies always do it to me, so many have already been mentioned.

Also "Murder in the First" with Kevin Bacon, and "Losing Isaiah" with Hallie Berry. Both based on true stories.

BusynMember

Except for Schindlers List I try to avoid holocaust movies. Too many of my realtives were victims of Hitler. THAT one I HAD to see.

Lil

Except for Schindlers List I try to avoid holocaust movies. Too many of my realtives were victims of Hitler. THAT one I HAD to see.

When I think of the movie all I can think of is the end, where he so distraught that he didn't save more people, he didn't do more. After all he had done, he still had guilt that he didn't do enough. Always gets to me.