How about we all put our heads together....

mstang67chic

Going Green
....and come up with a difficult child booklet...."What to do when" type of thing.

I couldn't sleep last night thinking about things that difficult child may stupidly do while on his own.

Post your contributions here and I will put them in either a spread sheet or a Word format and email as needed.

Things can be as simple as Don't Put Metal In Microwave up to How To Call To Get Your Stove Fixed type of things.

Daily things, repairs, health issues........anything.

I did something similar for a cousin when he got his first place but mine was more of recipes and budget tips.

Thoughts?

klmno

Before leaving the house or going to bed, always double check things like the stove being turned off.

I wish they had a book like this for parents of difficult child kids getting into legal trouble in this state. LOL!

KTMom91

Remember to blow out candles before leaving the room. Read directions on food boxes at least twice before preparing food. Remain in the kitchen when the stove is on; if you must leave the room, turn off the stove. Plunge the backed-up toilet before adding anything else to it.

I'm sure I can add more as the day goes on, depending on what Miss KT does/doesn't do.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
1. Do not flush Q-tips. tissues, napkins, tampons, paper towels down the toilet. Toilet paper and human waste only! (Why? Because naplins, paper towels, and tissues are designed to 'bind', which means they can clog - toilet paper is designed to disintegrate, which is why it is okay to flush. Pads, tampons and Q-tips should be obvious, but they will clog!).

2. Do not drape any materials over a light fixture to create 'mood lighting' or dim the room - it can easily catch fire. Instead, buy a low wattage table lamp and put in a colored bulb.

3. Regular dish soap should not be used in a dishwasher. If you run out of dishwasher soap, wash dishes by hand until you can buy some more.

4. Do not turn the microwave on with nothing in it.

5. Test water temp in shower before hopping in.

More to come as I think of them...

DammitJanet

LMAO!!!!

Call brother at least the night before to remind him to pee in the bottle and leave a condom in the bathroom so you can pass your UA.

Remember if you run with dogs, you are going to wake up with fleas.

girlfriend's. They can be good. They can be a problem. Remember to wear a raincoat or you will have your own difficult child running around.

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
I think the list has to be a bit more basic and a bit generic...don't you?

As in:

Always make sure you have money in the bank to cover expenses

Make sure your car is in good repair, insured and always has gas in the tank

A warm place to live, food to eat, and transportation to work always comes FIRST. (Needs first, wants second)

When bills are due - PAY THEM

When you need groceries - BUY THEM

If you break it - FIX IT

If it's dirty - CLEAN IT

If it's garbage - THROW IT OUT

If you drop it - PICK IT UP

If you're finished - PUT IT AWAY

If you need answers - ASK

If you need advice - CALL

If you need money - GET A JOB

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
LOL - DF, I'm printing yours and posting it on Onyxx's bedroom door.

...How about... Just because we are your parents does NOT mean you can come back at any time without calling first! (Learned MY lesson there...)

DammitJanet

DF...if they understood those rules, we wouldnt be on this board!

Im doubled over laughing about the car one. Seriously? Get it in good repair, insured, tagged and titled? A difficult child? No way!

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
DF...if they understood those rules, we wouldnt be on this board!

Im doubled over laughing about the car one. Seriously? Get it in good repair, insured, tagged and titled? A difficult child? No way!

LOL! O feel free to break it down into smaller steps....

Good repair = make sure that when it starts, more than just the radio comes on....it has tires, WITH air in them...it has plates....you have permission to drive it....AND you have a driver's license

Ya know--spell it all out

TerryJ2

Goodness, these rules are basic!
If I followed them, I wouldn't be in the mess I'm in now.
I think that's why that "Everything In Life I Learned in Kindergarten" book was so successful.
We all need reminders.
LOL about probation.
And yes, I cannot tell you how many times I screamed when difficult child has put utensils in the microwave.

KTMom91

It is never a good idea to PO the people you work for. (See post on PE)

Clean up the dog poop and cat yak as soon as you notice it.

Soaking a pan for several days can result in a disgusting moldy smell. Dump it out and wash the pan. DO NOT call Mom and ask her to do it.

If you put leftovers in the fridge, eat them ASAP. If you cannot remember when you first ate it, or it has a soft white coating on it, toss it out.

ThreeShadows

Quid me anxia?
When your three year old twin brother latches on to the handle of the garage door, do not push the automatic opener unless mother is around to catch said twin.

Do not stand on a higher elevation and pee on the head of your female classmate just because her brother asked you to.

Once you have shot the chipmunk in the head, assume that it is dead. Don't stick it up the tailpipe of your truck to make sure of its demise.

When you are holding a lighter, do not ask your buddy to spray you with Axe perfume to see if you go up in flames.

Do not set off illegal fireworks from the bathroom window. There is a strict law about such things.

When you are working on an engine project in the garage of your parents' 1820 home in December in Maine, do not use the Weber bbq grill to illuminate said project. The snoopy neighbor whose mother grew up in the aforementioned house will call the fire departments of three adjoining towns because she does not feel safe. I forgot to mention that neighbor is married to a lawyer.....

Do you all have any idea what it was like raising twin difficult children in a gun toting/explosives homemaking/bonfire loving state?

klmno

Tourette's Syndrome- :rofl:

I'm so sorry to say that it appears that you've made that list based on experience.

KTMom91

Miss KT came home just as I was reading these to Hubby. She says I should make sure to stress the importance of NOT DRIVING any further when the oil light comes on. Along that line, do not back up your car when the passenger door is open and stuck in the lawn. Do not get rattled and drive up the handicapped ramp on the sidewalk instead of turning onto the street. When the side of the truck crashes against the concrete barriers at the gas station, BACK UP rather than continuing forward.

Easy Mac will burn if you do not add water before starting the microwave. The notation "makes 2 cups" on the side of Kraft Mac N Cheese does NOT mean "add 2 cups of milk." When making noodle soup, it will taste much better if you add the entire seasoning packet.

susiestar

Roll With It
If you break a raw egg and it spills onto the floor or counter, pour salt from the carton onto it. It will form a gel and be MUCH easier to clean. Do NOT leave the egg, with or without the salt, sitting on the floor/counter/wherever for any length of time. It will harden like concrete and be very hard to clean up.

Do not leave chocolate in any form laying around or anywhere a pet might be able to get it. It will KILL your dog or cat.

Do not EVER give people medications to a pet unless a vet specifically tells you what, and how much, to give that specific animal. NEVER give a pet acetaminophen (tylenol) - it will cause a very painful death.

NEVER leave antifreeze in an open container, or spilled on the ground. It tastes sweet, so animals and small children will drink it or lick it off if it is dried. It also causes a painful death.

NEVER leave nasty messages on other people's answering machines/voicemail. You can end up regretting it, having it used against you for a TRO, etc...

Do NOT leave overly goofy, cutesy messages on your voicemail if you are waiting to hear about a job that you want. ESPECIALLY DO NOT leave vulgar, crude, sexually explicit, etc... outgoing messages if you expect someone to leave a message that you got a job. Outgoing messages should be fairly simple and NOT lengthy. NO ONE wants to spend even 60 seconds listening to you ramble or say whatever when they want to leave a message.

Do NOT use pantyhose, string, etc... to make a swing so your kitten can ride the ceiling fan.

Be sure to close the doors to the fridge and freezer all the way every time. Otherwise the food will go bad.

If you have a hard time waking up in the morning, set two alarms, or even three.

To save money, cut dryer sheets (like Bounce) in half, use one half sheet per load. Works as well and costs less.