how bad is youtube?

Just a little insite on myspace.

You do have to be 14 to have a profile. There are children out there who have a myspace page and there 10 yrs old or 13 yrs old etc. but all it is, is the click of a button and they can say there 18 yrs old. Scary!

But deffinately I would supervise on Youtube, myspace, facebook, etc. Youtube there are actually very obscene videos, pictures to view. Myspace has alot of obscene pics as well.

Good to know info!

WNC Gal

Our kids think we are dinosaurs because we don't even allow them to have Wii or Xbox, etc. Just too much of a time sink.

But we are a very computer savvy family and have numerous computers throughout the house. I have blocked the myspace.com domain with our router which keeps any computer from getting to it - I agree that there is quite a bit of raunchy stuff on YouTube and Google Video - just an experiment look see revealed that you can find all kinds of "sexy" videos and violent stuff. It's a shame there isn't a better way to filter this stuff as there is obviously a lot of amusing and entertaining content.

I try to direct them to healthy educational content by adding shortcuts at the top of their screen to great sites such as BrainPop, Discovery Channel and PBS Kids.

For our difficult child (and probably soon for our PCs) we installed SpectorSoft monitoring software. It captures keystrokes (handy for learning passwords) and takes screenshots frequently so you get an idea of what they are surfing to. It was actually a lifesaver at one point when we discovered that our suicidal daughter was surfing to "how to" suicide web sites. Now the computers are only in public areas and the kids can see what each other is up to (as well as parents when we check on them!).

Now we have to worry about txting on cell phones ! Apparently no way to monitor that! I am glad that my 12 year old is keeping in close contact with her very sweet friends with lots of txt messages back and forth, but I notice that the phone never rings anymore - they don't actually speak to each other on the phone after school - just text!!