how can ANXIETY be helped?

hello wonderful group of support!

for those of you who have anxiety, or a child with anxiety, what do most doctors do for that? prescribe medications?

My 5 yr old difficult child has anxiety issues, along with the typical ODD symptoms, and sensory problems as well. She doesn't like any kind of medicine (tylenol chewables or liquid, pills etc.) How would a doctor/or us as her parents be able to help her with some of her problems other than using medications?

Thank you!
Jessica

goldenguru

A good child therapist should be able to help her cultivate some non medicinal tools for managing anxiety.

When my daughter was 5 she had a blankie and sucked her thumb. I took alot of flack about this ... but it helped her and I was fine with that. She's 19 now and no longer :censored2: her thumb ... lol.

What seems to soothe your daughter? Try to encourage that.

Personally ... when I'm anxiety filled I put on my walking shoes and take off.

edit: LOL ... the program auto-edited my response to you. My daughter no longer puts her thumb in her mouth for self soothing.

she has stuffed animal that is really precious to her! Its a pig and piggy is been around for a long time, he almost has holes in his material. She gets attached to things very easily! New stuffed animal, baby etc. She can't take these things with her though when going to school, church etc.

It has often bothered me that she doesn't confide in me instead of a stuffed animal. I have to tell myself she is only 5 and loves her pig!

Thanks for your advice!
Jessica

Sheila

difficult child's primary problem with anxiety is school related. We can often control the anxiety level by controlling his environment.

I am wondering if that is the reason why she dislikes school so much is because of leaving me...She has seperation anxiety pretty bad and it has been going on for a long time now. Now that she is in public schooling I think she is embarrssed to cry out in front of others because of leaving me, so she has gotten somewhat better at school. She has told me the only reason she doesn't act out in her frantic behavior (in public) is because she is embarressed of others watching her. She is only 5 yrs old let me remind you! lol...

Do you know an estimate of how much hypnosis is? Is it done several times to help or what?

Thanks
Jessica

Sara PA

First time he did it maybe six times and we paid about $50/session and, of course, insurance didn't cover it. It was worth it. He said it was the first time he ever really felt relaxed. He knew what to aim for and how to go about it. Included with the sessions was a CD with relaxation techniques which he rarely played, but I know that he took something away from the sessions that stayed with him. The second time was after a personal crisis; the psychologist he saw twice to get through it hypnotized him both sessions. Again, it helped.

The first time he went to the hypnotist, I had to drive him and go sit in the session with him. The second time I drove but waited in the car. After that, he drove himself, not a small thing considering that you could count on one hand how many places he went alone in the previous 3 years.

Sara PA

I don't know. We stumbled onto it -- and the particular hypnotist he tried -- because of a conversation I got into with my optomitrist who had used hypnosis for relaxation and could recommend this particular person. It was a coincidence that the psychologist my son saw also used hypnosis. I think it very much depends on the hypnotist.

goldenguru

Jessicamom~

I think a certain amount of anxiety is normal for children. Especially as she is transitioning to public school and leaving the safe confines of you and your home. As she navigates this new experience she will learn some coping techniques. Talk to your childs teacher....they should be able to offer some advise.

Is your daughters anxiety severe? How is it interfering with her life?

Personally, I would seek the advise of a child psychologist or therapist before I would consider a hypnotist ... especially for such a young child.

Her anxiety has effected her life a great! She was a appart of a private christian school k2, k3 and k4 and she hated school then as well. Was it that she hated school or disliked leaving me? Who knows! We seen a child psy and she was no help at all! Basically in a nut shell, she said your daughter is at a diadvantage to get help because of her intelligence. SO DOES THAT MEAN IF YOU ARE SMART THERE IS NO REASON TO SEEK HELP FOR DAILY ANXIETY AND TACTILE SENSORY PROBLEMS???? UGH!!! Doctors make me sick sometimes!

Anyways, yea it has effected her life a great deal, We have noticed her having some problems right before she turned 3. Her behvior is completely different at school. She is the best student in class! I mentioned some of this to her teacher and she gave me that "over the top, think everything in the world is wrong with your child look!" All of you here know what look I am talking about...

Thank you for everything!
Jessica

Sara PA

My son, who is also quite bright, tried medication and talk therapy before the hypnosis. Medication only made things worse in the long run though there was intitially some relief. The second session of hypnosis was done by a board certified (and published) psychologist.

I'm not sure what bad can come from a therapy that is as non-invasive as hypnosis, provided the practitioner is qualified. Pretty much it's learning relaxation techniques. Knowing what I know now, provided I could find a qualified hypnotist, I would try that before I would try drugs.

I do have to add that I would be very cautious about leaving my young child alone with a hypnotist -- or any doctor for that matter. I guess all this talk of child abuse has affected me.

SRL

A developmental pediatrician would be an excellent choice. Most young children will get a much more thorough evaluation going this route than through a psychiatrist. Waiting lists are usually quite long for first time appointments--expect 3 to 6 months, unless you live in New Jersey where you can expect to wait (drum roll please) upwards of 2 years. Personally I'd fly to Mayo Clinic and get it done in a few days before I'd wait 2 years.

Another option would be a pediatric neuropsychologist but they usually only do initial assessments--no follow up care or medication management.