How cool is this?

Lothlorien

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=424UCSN3Fjg"]YouTube - Israeli Exoskeleton Suit Enables Paralayzed People To Walk[/ame]

lovemysons

Does sound very cool, Loth.
I can't see it though cause when I click on the arrow it says "embedding disabled by request" whatever that means.

Tammy

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Just double click on the video screen and it comes up and plays automatically.

What a revolutionary tool for the disabled! I hope they are able to get the production costs down so that it becomes affordable for more people. It's a shame that the inventor is not able to use it himself. You need to have full use of your arms for the device.

Marguerite

There is a non-electronic low-tech version of tis that was promoted in Australia for use by kids with cerebral palsy. It's called te Hart walker. I've also seen prototypes of braces that allow more natural foot/ankle/knee movements when walking. Again, non-electric. Putting it all together and adding the electrics to make further distances and assisted movement possible is great. Because the motive power for able-bodiedpeople is the legs, and if yours don'twork, you need extra assistance.

The other benefits of this - the exercise is of value especially for tose who are incomplete paras/quads, because the muscles are getting worked (you could coombine it with direct electrostimulation of muscles also) and the nerve pathways are 'remembering'.

Have been reading "The Brain That Changes Itself" ny Norman Doidge, this is exactly what can make such a huge difference in brain injury patients too.

Who knows just how far this invention could go?

And for all those idiots making smart-alec remarks on the website - breathtakingly stupid and self-centred. Unfortunately, I've met too many of those. Small minds, petty thoughts...

Good for whoever has put all this together. Brilliant!

Marg

slsh

member since 1999
Oh gosh, Marg - my son used a version of the Hart walker in elementary school. I was so proud of him when he got a demerit for "running in the halls", LOL. I had completely forgotten.

This is an amazing device, just from the standpoint of bone, joint, and muscle health to say nothing of what an incredible gift it must be to be able to walk again. Hopefully the inventor will get cracking on something for quads - I'd give my eye teeth to see oldest be able to self-propel.

What was the name of that old movie???? Robocop, that's it. :) Maybe it wasn't as scifi as it seemed back then.