How did you meet your dear husband?

BusynMember

Mine was through a newspaper ad I placed and I will tell more later if this thread takes off. Right now I am newly awake and tired :)

You can add what type of wedding you had

BusynMember

I met my first husband in a college library, Northwestern University. We were not students but I liked to go there to write and get away from the chaos at home. I caught him looking at and smiling at me and thought he was cute. I was not shy or insecure about the opposite sex. I went up to him and asked, "Do I know you from somewhere?"

I had a rocky 17 years married to him. The cute meeting is nothing like the mismatched marriage, although we are still friendly, mostly because of Bart and Princess.

My second and final husband and love of my life answered an ad I put in a local newspaper back before an internet existed. I didn't drink, go to bars, or date when I had my kids so it was the only safe choice for me. He wrote an amazing letter and left his phone number. I called him and left a message back before there was texting lol but he didn't call back for a few weeks and I forgot about him. Then one night he called. He had written down my number and lost it but then found it. What a mess!

We had a very passionate and also friendly start but I was terrified of marrying again and I broke up with him a few times and talked to other men. Eventually I married him and the marriage has been amazing....calm, loving, raised two great kids, are best friends, maybe five fights in 22 years and very little anger and almost no yelling. I'm so glad I swallowed my fear and married him. I wouldn't trade him for anyone.

Last edited:

KTMom91

I met Husband 1.0 in college. I was working in the cafeteria, and we got to talking. After a very rocky start, including a break-up, we got married...and divorced a year and a half later. Husband 2.0 lived downstairs from me. We got along better before we got married and had Miss KT. We were together about 8 years.

Husband 3.0 aka Hubby was a friend of mine in high school who had a massive crush on me, but was too scared to ask me out. He remembered my personalized license plate, noticed my car, and stuck a note on it. I called him, we started dating, got married five months later, and that was 18 years ago.

ahhjeez

I met my husband at a friends house when I was 15. He was actually my first real boyfriend.I knew right away I loved him. He has always felt like home to me. Even at 15 I knew. We dated/lived together for 9 years before finally getting married. We've been together 31 years this July. We had a beautiful wedding at a tavern near our home. Smallish, but perfect. Then some years later we got married in my church. Our son was 8 I think at the time so he attended along with my mom and husband's parents.

BusynMember

With husband 1 my mother planned the whole wedding. I was only 19 when engaged and not sure I was marrying a man, age 27, who was good for me, but I knew I had to leave the house and I thought I couldn't take care of myself so I wasn't too souped up about the wedding but felt I had no choice.

Mom made it small (15 people), cheap and Jewish, although he wasn't Jewish. It was on a Tuesday too in a hotel. I remember sitting in my hotel room, waiting for the wedding, feeling like it wasn't right and not being happy at all.

Meanwhile once I was downstairs in the wedding area my dad was missing and nobody knew why. He was extremely late. Now he owned a pharmacy then and when he showed up it turned out he had been held up for two hours at gunpoint while another guy robbed the store of drugs. Yes, horrible for him and all and on my wedding night.

If that wasn't an omen, I don't know what is.

The marriage, for various reasons, dragged out unhappily for 17 years. Fortunately I was still young enough to build a good life after it was over and I did get Bart and Princess out of the mess!

Will talk about wedding number two later. Was pretty nice and calm, much like our marriage. Later! How about more wedding stories even it wasn't the man of your dreams?

CareTooMuch

Went to my then boyfriend's friend's apartment and he was sitting at the kitchen table. We just glanced at each other and knew there was something. We became great friends and after a year actually got together. We lived together for a couple of years and have been happily married almost 30 years now.

Pink Elephant

Knew dear husband from high school... got to know him better when he'd come into the drug store I worked at after graduating. He admits (now) that he used to drop-in to see me. Such a sweetie.

AppleCori

I will stick with the current hubby—

I had been dating this other guy I had met online. We lived two or three hours away from each other. We had talked a lot and had been on about three or four dates. Suddenly, it got harder to get a message back from him, so I asked him if he needed a break to deal with things (his dad had some health problems, then his mom).

He said yes (to my surprise) so I assumed he was doing the slow fade and didn’t want to see me anymore.

Anyway, I went back online and started talking to guys again. Talked to a few, wasn’t finding anyone I especially liked. Then I saw (now) hubby’s picture.

My (now) hubby initiated contact and we had a good conversation. He was about to go out of town, so we didn’t meet for about two weeks. We talked quite often and made a date for when he returned. Expectations were high.

Well, we finally went on a date and it was terrible. So bad, in fact, that when he walked me to my car he took out his phone and asked me whether he should delete my number. I told him yes.

But I didn’t delete his, and a few days later I text him.

We went on another date and it went much better. I really enjoyed his company, and decided to give it another shot. Turns out, we had a lot in common and enjoyed each other’s company.

Oh, and that other guy? He called me a few weeks later. Seems he actually just had some stuff he needed to take care of....

Pink Elephant

I will stick with the current hubby—

I had been dating this other guy I had met online. We lived two or three hours away from each other. We had talked a lot and had been on about three or four dates. Suddenly, it got harder to get a message back from him, so I asked him if he needed a break to deal with things (his dad had some health problems, then his mom).

He said yes (to my surprise) so I assumed he was doing the slow fade and didn’t want to see me anymore.

Anyway, I went back online and started talking to guys again. Talked to a few, wasn’t finding anyone I especially liked. Then I saw (now) hubby’s picture.

My (now) hubby initiated contact and we had a good conversation. He was about to go out of town, so we didn’t meet for about two weeks. We talked quite often and made a date for when he returned. Expectations were high.

Well, we finally went on a date and it was terrible. So bad, in fact, that when he walked me to my car he took out his phone and asked me whether he should delete my number. I told him yes.

But I didn’t delete his, and a few days later I text him.

We went on another date and it went much better. I really enjoyed his company, and decided to give it another shot. Turns out, we had a lot in common and enjoyed each other’s company.

Oh, and that other guy? He called me a few weeks later. Seems he actually just had some stuff he needed to take care of....
I wouldn't want to venture into the dating scene today. Must be difficult, because according to radio broadcast I listened to, the failure rate for marriages and relationships now sits at around 87%. Was so shocking to hear such statistics.

AppleCori

I wouldn't want to venture into the dating scene today. Must be difficult, because according to radio broadcast I listened to, the failure rate for marriages and relationships now sits at around 87%. Was so shocking to hear such statistics.

I, personally, loved dating. And I loved online dating.

Lots of people hate the process, but not me.

Subsequent marriages are harder because of children from previous marriages, though.

Pink Elephant

I, personally, loved dating. And I loved online dating.

Lots of people hate the process, but not me.

Subsequent marriages are harder because of children from previous marriages, though.
I've thought about the kid thing a few times, and how not having kids of my own would have made it harder for me (I think) in meeting someone with kids, even though I love kids. Just think it would or could make things hard.

Lil

So this is where I was being directed on the Coffee thread. :) Get ready for a LONG story!

Okay...so I'm going to have to mention my first husband, who was never my "Dear Husband" and more my "Damned Husband" - I'll just refer to him as "Ex". I hate to speak ill of the dead, but it's necessary in order to explain why Jabber is such a saint.

Ex was a huge error in judgment that just snowballed. I met Ex in a bar and kind of just never got rid of him. Within days he'd moved in with me. Within 5 months, we were married. Yes, that fast. The relationship was LOADED with warning signs and I ignored them all. That biological clock is a :censored2:. I wanted to be married and have babies and I didn't think anyone else would ever ask. He told me everything I wanted to hear. He was controlling and jealous and in the end thought he was a great husband because he never hit me. He wouldn't work. He drank like a fish. He cheated. He nearly bankrupted me. Literally, the only reason I didn't have to file was because I was a lawyer and I knew how to bluff the collections agencies. I had a great wedding! I had a terrible marriage. I was pregnant in 6 months. He took off about 6 months after our son was born. After another 18 months or so I filed for and was divorced...I'd waited hoping his girlfriend would pay for it. He never paid me a dime in child support.

So...that was Ex.

A few years later, I've dated like two guys - one very short-term, like 3 dates, and one old boyfriend, who is STILL a friend...Now HE'S a long story. LOL

Finally a friend of mine (former friend now - another long story) keeps telling me, "I know the BEST GUY for you!" Jabber and she had dated, even - I think - lived together for a short time. She left him for a friend of his and it's a tribute to how nice a guy my Jabber is that he remained friends with them both! Anyway, she kept trying to get us together, even threw her daughter a birthday party, which if I remember correctly, was mostly adults, so we'd meet. We did meet. I said hello to him and promptly forgot what he even looked like.

She kept it up. She arranged for us to both come play cards with her and her boyfriend. My son conveniently got sick so I could cancel. I turned her down over and over and finally she just said, "You ARE going out with Jabber! You are meeting at my house this Sunday, you're going to eat at Applebee's, you're going to see this movie, and I am going to babysit!"

So...I went. He picked me up, we went to Applebee's (where he impressed me by only having two drinks), we went to the movie (Payback, with Mel Gibson...not exactly romantic, lol), he took me back to her apartment, where I gathered my son, thanked him politely, SHOOK HIS HAND :roflmao:, and went home.

She called and asked if she could give him my phone number. I said yes. He called and we went out the next weekend, and the one after that, and the one after that...in fact, we never spent another weekend apart until well after we were married. :love:

I asked her once, when she was bugging me to go out with him, if he was so great, why didn't SHE keep him! Her answer, he was too boring for her. Yeah....

Jabberwockey

even - I think - lived together for a short time. She left him for a friend of his and it's a tribute to how nice a guy my Jabber is that he remained friends with them both!

Yes, she lived with me for a short while. I didn't get mad when she left for the friend because I was glad she was leaving. Liked her but was VERY high maintenance and not in the way most think. She is bi-polar and doesn't like to take her medications. She was almost harder to deal with when she was manic than when the depression hit. Wasn't mad with him because, looking back on it, I knew what was going to happen before she ever moved in.

Lil

Part 2 - told you it was long.

Poor Jabber. He didn't know how neurotic I was. I was so shell shocked from my first husband I tried terribly hard to NOT love him. Even after I knew I loved him, I wouldn't say it first. Thank heaven's he did or I might have just burst! He proposed much sooner than I thought he would. We met in February and he proposed in September...on my birthday. :) I told him I would not get married until we'd at least dated a year. I knew he wanted three kids - I already had my son and I was NOT having another baby with someone unless I was sure they'd stick around, so I told him he'd be lucky to get ONE, not three, and I wouldn't consider that until we'd been married a year. (For various reasons, after that year elapsed, things didn't work out in that respect...my only regret in our marriage...and even after I told him I would understand if he wanted to find someone else, he still chose me. Go figure.)

Anyway, we married in April and between September and April, I must have made life so hard for him.:confused: He'd show up to find me crying and telling him I couldn't marry him because I'd ruined my credit and I couldn't saddle him with all these debts and bill collectors. Or I'd get cold feet because I was worried about money in other ways - I literally would spend HOURS looking for a PENNY error in my checkbook. I finally told him I couldn't marry him unless he gave me total control over our joint finances and he could only have an allowance of like $200 per paycheck. His response? "Oh thank God. I hate paying the bills!"

I love this man so much!

I even briefly considered refusing to marry him because I was afraid that when we get old he may die first and leave me alone. How's that for neurotic?

All the way up to our wedding, I was a wreck. Then, the day of, I was fine. Really. I was calm and collected. I walked up the aisle with my son in his little morning coat (it was very formal) and when Jabber began his vows I - totally lost my mind! I started just WEEPING. :cry: I cried thru his vows and my vows and my nose was running and all I could think was, "Please God, let someone offer me a tissue!" and then I thought, "Next time I do this, I'm carrying a handkerchief" and finally, "OMG! My nose won't stop running and I have to kiss him soon!" And THAT made me laugh! Thank God I had my back to everyone. Some little old ladies told me afterward how sweet it was - but you can hear me sniffing SO LOUD on our wedding video! :roflmao: I cried off way more of my makeup than any bride should and am just really glad for waterproof mascara, though I am very shiny in the photos. LOL

We made it through the wedding and the nice, non-alcoholic, no dancing, high-tea type reception. Spent a lovely short honeymoon at a little B&B in Eureka Springs, then came home. A week later, I went to Urgent Care, feeling like someone was sitting on my chest. After EKG and breathing treatments, they announce I'm having a panic attack and prescribed me Xanax. I laughed so hard I think the doctor probably was shocked, I told him, "I'm the first woman my new husband has been with that wasn't on some sort of mood altering drugs. No thanks!" I tore up the prescription, went home and laugh about it to this day. :p

Did I miss anything Honey? Or did I make you wonder why you put up with me? ;)

Last edited:

Jabberwockey

Did I miss anything Honey?

Nope, other than private stuff, that about covers it!

Well, just thought about the practice dinner and my parents saying how happy they were that I finally brought someone decent home.....with the ex who had introduced us sitting right there!

Lil

Well, just thought about the practice dinner and my parents saying how happy they were that I finally brought someone decent home.....with the ex who had introduced us sitting right there!

Oh yeah! That happened! That was SO funny...I'm sure to this day they'd be mortified if they realized what they'd done!

Nomad

Staff member
Mine was shockingly old school and unexpected.

It was a blind date set up by an elderly person related to my husband. We went out on a whim to appease her.

It is a favorite story of the entire family.

We were engaged six months later.

It’s another one of BOOK potential!!!! But this one is ultra happy!:)

Lil

Mine was shockingly old school and unexpected.

It was a blind date set up by an elderly person related to my husband. We went out on a whim to appease her.

It is a favorite story of the entire family.

We were engaged six months later.

It’s another one of BOOK potential!!!! :)

I just wrote my book! LOL!

BusynMember

I love it! LiI I didn't know whether to give you a star or a laugh! Your road to marriage, with so much indecision, reminded me of mine. It was also dramatic but the marriage is anything but. Very calm. Very soothing. Comforting. My salvation.

You and I can start a " I Love Boring Men And No Drama" club. Let others have the Drama Kings!

I loved your story.