how do i approach therapist.....

Discussion in 'General Parenting' started by onmyown, Jun 27, 2012.

  1. onmyown

    onmyown New Member

    ok so i have posted before, telling the story of my child....have done research and want my child tested by a neuropsychologist. Reactive Attachment Disorder (RAD) fits my child to an absolute t and i am going to talk to her regarding that. i am concerned that i have not had the right diagnosis for so long that it may be past the point of no return. I am wondering if an inpatient stay would be helpful to maybe clear his system of medications and get him on the right track....suggestions?
  2. TeDo

    TeDo Guest

    If you are able to afford that and have a psychiatrist that is willing to do a medication wash, go for it. Some medications need to be tapered down over time so it could be a somewhat lengthy stay. My philosophy is that if it isn't working, it's time to try something else and that includes diagnoses. I am proud of you for wanting to dig deeper. Something is telling you that what you've "known" for so long is not right. THAT is called your mommy gut and I have learned to ALWAYS listen to my mommy gut. It has NEVER steered me wrong. I applaud you and if your psychiatrist doesn't agree then it's time to find a new psychiatrist. You need one that will listen to you and work WITH you. NO ONE knows your child better than you do. Some professionals need to relearn that lesson.

    Good luck!! I'll be pulling for you.
  3. Hound dog

    Hound dog Nana's are Beautiful

    I made up a "parent report" listing the child's behavior that matched the diagnosis that I felt was more accurate, then handed that to the doctor and had them read over it with me sitting there and we discussed it. If doctor wasn't open to a new evaluation (of any type), it was time for a 2nd opinion with a new doctor. (this is not uncommon, many of us have been through a slew of docs to find one that "fit")

    You are your child's best advocate. If you feel his diagnosis doesn't fit, and you can't get doctor to cooperate, find one who will. Most are good about it though, and even if they don't agree with you won't have an issue with you getting a 2nd opinion. And if they do, then you need to dump them anyway.