Copabanana

More Volatile And talks more about suicide.
Dear chick pea. This is an old thread. A lot of us currently are dealing with this same thing. Homeless or near homeless adult children who are running out of options but don't want to take responsibility to meet their challenges or to seek support and resources to help them. They see their only lifeline as us.

Then if we resist or try to channel them away their trump card is "I'm going to kill myself." My son has done this. He does it way less because I have not hesitated to call the police who have taken him to the local psychiatric hospital and admitted him involuntarily. He is careful now to not make threats in the here and now, or with specific plans and means.

We have no control over the lives of another adult, including our beloved children. You know that and so do I. Including keeping them alive, either due to their illnesses (my own son, and his traumatic brain injuries) or to acts of their own hand.

I don't know why your daughter speaks to you of such things, but it's wrong on so many levels. First, you are powerless. Second, it is cruel. Third, it is ineffective in solving her problems.

If she never chooses to approach her life in a different way, she will always be up against the wall, at the mercy of other people and circumstances. But you, you have choices. So do I.

What we are doing here, is learning to live our own lives, to live well, staying in our own lane. We can live our lives with serenity, peace and plenty even if they, our children, do not seek this for themselves.

While I have not yet learned how to do this, I see now that it is possible for me too. And I want it. So do you.

I know how hard is this. Take care.

WiseChoices

Is he attending meetings? AA or NA? Without meetings (and working the program of recovery), he will not stay sober. I speak from experience!

If you can direct him to either one of those programs, they will help him. I have seen so much help given in AA for every situation in life. They will direct him for a place to stay and food if he is serious about his recovery. AA would also know about community resources for sober houses etc

Ultimately, this is all the responsibility of your son, not yours .I have heard countless times in the rooms of AA and NA about people being depressed, suicidal, high anxiety and they do recover if they have the capacity to be honest .

By protecting your serenity, you are teaching him more than you can ever know .He will find happiness through self-support, not dependency.

ChickPea

Dear chick pea. This is an old thread. A lot of us currently are dealing with this same thing. Homeless or near homeless adult children who are running out of options but don't want to take responsibility to meet their challenges or to seek support and resources to help them. They see their only lifeline as us.

Oh jease, whoopsie. Thanks for the reply anyway.

"serenity, peace and plenty"

I want that.