How do you make going to the dentist easier

buddy

oh gosh, so glad you got him in. I think it is really smart just to knock him out so he wont remember. If you can (does he do iv well?) make sure they have the ??? cant remember the name, the medication they click on first so there is NO feeling with an IV insert...anyone...not the topical cream they use but the new one that just pops on and then completely numbs it... Makes a huge difference. They use gas for difficult child but problem is they have to be really good at breathing thru their nose when their mouth is open. dentist sent home one of the nose masks for him to practice...they get to choose color/flavor of the mask
Our dentist said we would do that too if there were lots of issues. Luckily even with all the behaviors difficult child has he has only had one cavity. I will say that one filling is still sensitive to him after 4 years. Ortho says to have them shave it. Sometimes even a little tiny bump can cause it to zing a nerve when they bite down. might be super subtle he said. So next dental appointment we will tell them about it again.

hersheyb79

They will put him under with gas and then do the IV. So he won't have to worry about getting stuck. He also still has his mask from having his tonsils out last year, so he can practice using that.

How do you get the numb stuff though? Is it something that they places automatically have or do I have to ask for it? It would sure help with these monthly blood draws...the place we've been getting his draws done hasn't offered anything thus far (by the way, he got his draw done today and was a trooper. Only me sitting next to him, a tech holding his arm and one doing the draw...much better than 4 of us physically restraining him while someone tries to do the draw!).

JJJ

This is the medication.

Emla 5% Cream (5 * 5g tubes per packet)

Last time Tigger was in ER, they automatically put it on the inside of every child's right elbow when they check in so that if the doctor wants a blood draw or to start an IV, the child is ready. Of course, Tigger only lets them draw blood from his LEFT arm. The tech was quite amused when Tigger explained that he was just 'following the rules' when he let the nurse put the cream on his right arm, but that it was okay to suck blood from his left arm cause he has it done all the time. lol

buddy

This is the medication.

Emla 5% Cream (5 * 5g tubes per packet)

Last time Tigger was in ER, they automatically put it on the inside of every child's right elbow when they check in so that if the doctor wants a blood draw or to start an IV, the child is ready. Of course, Tigger only lets them draw blood from his LEFT arm. The tech was quite amused when Tigger explained that he was just 'following the rules' when he let the nurse put the cream on his right arm, but that it was okay to suck blood from his left arm cause he has it done all the time. lol

I have a tube of emla at home, they just give it to me to use for every dr. visit. It is really helpful for us. But there is the NEW one.....that they use in hospitals....it looks like a shot but not..it has a flat end and they put it on the spot and it sounds like a pop can being opened. then very very quickly the whole area deep down (way deeper than emla) is numb. There is no pain in getting it at all and it does not cause the veins to change and be harder to find as emla does for some people (my sister was an IV nurse for a long time and she said that is why some clinics and hospitals wont use it)