How do you rate your overall health?

BusynMember

Excellent
Very Good
Good
Fair
Poor
Dead (just a joke)

I ask because the nurse who saw me today before my physical asked me. I never had anyone ask ME the state of my health before and I said, "I think very good or excellent...for my age especially...but how would I know? I *feel* good."

She said that's how you know.

The only area I did poorly in was when it came to "Stress" and with my anxiety disorder it is a constant battle. Sometimes keeping from getting depressed can be a fight too.

What would you answer if asked? We are talking about health in here, so thought I'd see if anyone wanted to check in a nd see what they/we can do to feel better. Of course, it is easier for me to have good habits without any little kids or older little kids living with me...it is harder in my opinion when you have little ones and challenged lovebugs on your sofa.

Tanya M

Living with an attitude of gratitude
Staff member
Considering all my body has been through I'm in good health. I've had 4 major surgeries, missing some original parts and survived cancer with the help of 60 radiation treatments. Staying in good health for me is very important. I make an effort to eat healthy and exercise which is vital because I have a desk job.
I was 30 when I had cancer and I learned a valuable lesson; Listen to your body!! I had classic symptoms of Hodgkins, night sweats, itchy skin, fatigue, and weight loss. Alone these by themselves may not be cause for worry but all together your body is telling you something. I however at the time excused them all away. Night sweats - the waterbed's too hot. Itchy skin - need a better lotion. Fatigue - we had just bought our first house and were doing lots of painting, etc. Weight loss - what woman ever questions that!! When I found lumps in my neck I knew something was really wrong.
I now listen to my body, I don't "freak out" when something is off but I monitor it. If "whatever" it is lasts for two weeks I will go see my Dr.
Our bodies are amazing and we need to do our best to listen to them and take care of them.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Between good and very good.

Good things!
  • I have very good blood pressure-bordering on low.
  • I exercise a lot-bootcamp and other things as well.
  • Overall, I deal with stress well.
  • Low resting heart rate.
  • Get lots of sleep
Not so good things
  • I have Addison's Disease (which I take medicine for daily but when really sick or if I was in a bad accident it gets very serious very quickly).
  • Hypothyroidism (daily medications)
  • Celiac's Disease
  • Arthritis in my back which is giving me lots of problems these days
  • Osteopenia
  • Always tired despite the amount of sleep I get.

recoveringenabler

Staff member
I would say excellent. And, like others, I work at it and have for many, many years. It's a commitment in my opinion, diet, exercise, stress reduction, listening to your body as Tanya said, sleeping well, keeping toxic people and toxic things away, boundaries, laughter......the usual things.......but I think there is more.......for instance, seeing beauty, having fun, feeling connected, feeling loved, feeling valued and as if your life has meaning, and that you matter........I believe the mind, body, emotions and spirit are all connected, so health for me is being healthy in ALL areas.......and I work at them all, all the time.

BusynMember

keeping toxic people and toxic things away, boundaries, laughter......the usual things.......but I think there is more.......for instance, seeing beauty, having fun, feeling connected, feeling loved, feeling valued and as if your life has meaning, and that you matter........I believe the mind, body, emotions and spirit are all connected, so health for me is being healthy in ALL areas.......and I work at them all, all the time.
Jeez, how could I forget this part? If your life is happy and fulfilled, your health is usually better too. So very true. And you have to work on it and do what is best for yourself. Yes, yes, yes!

2much2recover

Chronic pain - says it all. I really don't like to go into it all because although I have had numerous health issues, I try and stay positive by not dwelling on whats wrong but like Recovering said:
for instance, seeing beauty, having fun, feeling connected, feeling loved, feeling valued and as if your life has meaning, and that you matter........I believe the mind, body, emotions and spirit are all connected, so health for me is being healthy in ALL areas.......and I work at them all, all the time.

Confused

Hugs to all of you! Well, for what I do know what is wrong with me without a doctors diagnoses- and not counting stress I would say fair? It could always be worse and hopefully not!

4 Teeth need pulling- well one broke so bad I don't know if it can be save( migraines because of teeth pain)

Obese and no energy( tired)

Pulse rate is a little high but probably because Im obese....but blood pressure is normal...

Acid Reflux turning/turned into dysphagia ... omg just saw this headline"Heartburn, acid reflux can turn into deadly cancer" ( Im so going to the Dr and Dentist money or no money)( chest pain may or may not be heartburn related?)

And a personal health issue I need to get re-tested but not ready to share- then again, as much as I ramble I may have in the beginning years I was here.

Mominator

I usually answer that I'm in good health, but I think others would disagree with me because when I start listing diagnoses, I get "the stare". BUT for the most part, I am happy, I love my family, and appreciate the beauty of nature. So, I guess they balance out.
Depression, Asthma, Narcolepsy, Fibromyalgia, Sleep apnea, Spinalstenosis in neck, IBS, TMJ, Migraines, Daily regular headaches, High blood pressure, Allergic to grasses, molds, animals, dust, and more (life?), Vitamin D deficient, Pre-menopausal...AND...Prematurely gray because I have too many problem children!
:hammer:

BusynMember

Confused, you should qualify for Medicaid as you have no taxable income. Get it and go. University hospitals are great and all take Medicaid. Around here all the medical doctors do and most psychiatrists. All I have to pay is $3 in co-pays. Sorry, all of you who pay for insurance, but Medicaid is better than any private insurance I've ever had and I still get to pick my doctors, get elective surgery, and have reconstruction at 100% coverage. (I think everyone should have this right, but I digress).

There are benefits to not having much money, although I didn't plan it...just sort of worked out this way and it's ok with me. :likeit: I get Medicare/Medicaid because of disability, but, really, Confused, if you have no income, you would qualify. You are too young to have problems like that. That's a good start to taking good care of yourself, as opposed to neglecting yourself for others.

Confused

I just want to hug you all! Sorry you all have your bad health :( Well, Ok I have told you all everything about me and personally I believe I told you all this but if not, oh well , here it goes. One of my exes gave me HPV many years ago, not the warts but the Cancer Strain and I have not been back to a Dr since. No excuse and stupid I know. But not for that reason- It was a personal event where .. well, lets drop that. But now I want to go, scared but want to. Yes planning on going to a sliding scale place and see what they can do for me.

Thanks for your advice and support everyone, Im going no matter! Im sure they know someone if they cant help right?

Medicaid has helped Midwest very true. Im grateful for my kids but sometimes getting referrals yikes! Glad its helping you!!!

BusynMember

Confused...why won't you get Medicaid? Is it private? I don't get it. You certainly qualify. Makes no sense to pay when you have no income. Is somebody making you feel ashamed of getting on Medicaid?

Confused

I have applied and they are the ones who have denied me. I only was allowed it when I was pregnant and lost the medicaid privileges -I think within 8 -12 weeks after they were born. No one is making me feel ashamed, here you have to be pregnant or disabled to be on it or a" child" under 21. Maybe some serious health issues not sure on that one. The case worker denied me. Now other states maybe I could get it, but so far laws havent changed here.

BusynMember

One more reason to get out of Dodge ;) Go to another state that is friendlier to single mothers. I can't believe you don't qualify for Medicaid even though you have no income.