How do you spell Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)?

JJJ

At my house we are spelling it T-I-G-G-E-R. Wow, I cannot wait for school to start, his anxiety is coming out as complete Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD). Plus he/we have now 'missed' giving him his medication before leaving in the morning twice in the last 3 days (yes, you'd think I would learn - but he is normally so great about taking his medication but with waking up earlier I think he is too sleepy to remember).

My mom is freaking out cause she is babysitting for 9 hours this weekend. I think she is having a PTSD-reaction thinking he is doing Kanga-like things - but thankfully NOT AT ALL. His obsessions primarily revolve around saying 'hi' to people and he will sit for hours waiting for them to come home or get done with their camp, while aggravating if I am trying to get him to go somewhere - completely non-dangerous :)

Just needed to cancel everything I could so I don't need to rush anywhere until after school starts.

susiestar

Roll With It
Sorry he is having such anxiety problems. Do you have any idea what is causing the anxiety, or causing it to manifest as Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)? What does the psychiatrist say about it?

Your poor mom. It is no fun to go through PTSD esp over actions like Kanga had. I think seeing Tigger's Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) actions will be a relief for her. Is there any way she can visit to see how he is showing the Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) before she babysits them? It might make life a lot better for her.

Can you set an alarm on your cell phone to remind you to give him his medications in the morning? Jessie uses her cell phone that way. Each alarm says what medications she needs to take - I was very impressed with this because she set it up all by herself. All I knew about it was that suddenly she was MUCH better about taking her medications at the right times.

JJJ

My mom does mentally know what he is like in Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) mode. I think she just panics because she felt so helpless when Kanga lived here. It doesn't help that she is babysitting so I can take Kanga to get long-term birthcontrol due to her recent antics. While Kanga will be transported by staff and staff will always be in the building with us, I think she is worried that Kanga will attack me. So it is a double-whammy for her.

Tigger was school phobic for most of his childhood. This is the first year that excitement for a new school year is outweighing the fear. It is so much better than the crying, panicked meltdowns of years past. Mostly, he is hoping that there will be a girl in his class and that she'll want to be his girlfriend :) I owe this teacher so much, she has undone much of the damage of previous schooling in one short year. I'm hoping she continues to work her miracles for this year.

My cell phone will only allow me to set 3 alarms and he takes medications 4 times per day so I don't have one for the breakfast dose because usually we eat breakfast and take medications at the same time so it isn't a problem. This week has been crazy with all of the jr high end of summer camps for Eeyore and Piglet. And I haven't been sleeping well because of the heat so I'm dragging.

I shouldn't complain at all because the difference in the last 1-2 years is astronomical. All 3 of my ones at home are PCs many more days than they are difficult children.

flutterby

Fly away!
I feel your pain.

difficult child posted on facebook: I'm Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD). Heavy on the O.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

I hope this school year goes as well as he is hoping - as I'm sure you are, too.

susiestar

Roll With It
Do you spell that "T - I - G - G - E - R" or " T - I - double Guh - RRRRR"?

Sorry. I just HAD to make that Tigger reference because my mind is partly soft after spending all of those countless hours watching Winnie the Pooh videos with my kids. I just HAD to ask. Off to my corner now.

JJJ

Of course we spell it, "T - I - double Guh - RRRRR".

"Tigger" was actually Tigger's first word. I'm spent so many years on this board using these names for the kids that every so often in real life, I'll call them by these nicknames LOL.

Marguerite

In our family, it's not called Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD), it's called CDO. That's the same as Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD), except that this way all the letters are in their CORRECT ALPHABETICAL ORDER!

Marg