How do you vote?

witzend

I am enjoying this topic, even if I do say so myself! We used to have voter ID cards, and I always had mine in the wallet. I miss that. I suppose I have an old one around the house somewhere...

Marcie, we have drive through voting on election day, as well. They set aside a lane of traffic all the way around the block at the county election office, and there are workers standing out there with ballot boxes and you drive up and hand it to them and make sure they put it in the box and drive on.

Star*

call 911........call 911
I have a voter ID card too - and it actually CAN be used on an employers I-9 for verification of legal identification.

I had to have it to get my Notary Public commission.

And it's an interesting conversation starter....like this thread -

INTERESTING! Thanks Witz:smug:

N

Nomad

Sadly, I have done it the traditional, probably not so swift way. I stand in line on voting day. I try to go at an "off" time.

For those who are having or going to an election day/night party....will people of the same or likely the same vote preference be in attendance? We are thinking of having a party like this, but have wondered if we might have to have to chose the guest list carefully. A mini war in my living room wont be fun.

This year, I might let my dog make the final selection for me....I am pathetically conflicted. :whiteflag::faint::redface: I will try to be kind to myself though...have had MUCH going on lately, including having to fly out of town to visit a dying relative.

by the way...anyone see Swing Vote? Cute movie!!!

SRL

Michigan has for all intents and purposes already announced the winner. All electoral votes to Obama. I hate this part of our process. If there weren't other important issues on the ballot why would a voter bother??
If you think it's bad there, you should be in Illinois where Obama hales from. There wasn't even a primary campaign here. Seriously, they didn't even bother with yard signs.

We have early voting options but I love the experience of going to the polls. We have plenty of sites in my town so the lines aren't too long, except for very early and around the dinner hour.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Well, today, to vote, I bought a cookie.

I was walking downtown to grab some Subway for lunch, and passed a little hometown bakery thing and they had The Cookie Polls. For a buck you got to pick either an Obama cookie or a McCain cookie. McCain was up by 5 at 12:42 CST.

But when the real day rolls around, its the good ol' fashioned elementary standards testing cardboard box privacy booths set up on a banquet table and a ballot of tiny ovals and a Sharpie.

I like the cookie polls.

donna723

We still have the little voters registration cards. If you move to a different district, you have to go in and get it changed. When you go in to vote, they have all the names of the registered voters in the district on a printout - you have to show them your card and they check you off. I guess if you didn't have your registration card, you could show them a picture ID like a drivers license and it would be OK. If you weren't registered for that district, your name wouldn't be on thei rlist.

And incidentally, it takes approximately two dozen elderly poll workers to accomplish this first step!

KTMom91

Hubby and I are both permanent absentee voters. However, we can drop off our ballots at any precinct on Election Day; we don't have to mail them in early. The powers that be changed our precinct place so many times I was completely confused, and even with an address I couldn't figure out where I was supposed to be. The time I walked into the place we'd previously voted, stood in line, only to find out I was in the wrong place, was when I signed up for permanent absentee status. Now all I have to do is take my completed ballot and find a sign that says "Polling Place Here." I can do that easily.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
We don't get to vote here in Arizona... it is a McCain State. When you register your vote goes directly to our state Senator!!! HA HA HA