How have I not received a ticket?

buddy

I only just finally got the title for my pos car and I don't know why but I looked at the tabs yesterday ......How did I miss they were expired in Oct?

I just never looked!

Could I even have gotten any without the title?

Feeling a little stupid, so...off to do that today, big duh.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
LOL don't feel bad - I work on a military installation, and they didn't notice either - for nine months. Due in November, got pulled over the next SEPTEMBER in a city notorious for 1-mile-over-the-limit tickets. The cop didn't ticket me, either.

As long as you had the previous registration, yes, you could...

donna723

Maybe it's just here because we're so small, but I have NEVER had to show the title to the car to renew my tags. I just give them my tag number, they pull it up in the computer, print me out a new registration and give me the new sticker. The only time I've had to show the title or registration is if I was transferring the tags from one vehicle to another. You can do that here. If you get a new car you can just transfer the license plates from one vehicle to another.

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
One of the few good things about Ca and the DMV = they send renewal notices out and you can pay them on line. And if you sign up on line with them, they will send you an email when they are due.

I hate.hate.hate going into a DMV to do anything. Its worth the price for an annual AAA card because they can do most of what the DMV does. Standing in line outside the DMV building in the hot sun for 30 minutes or more hovers.

Marcie

witzend

I was driving behind a car a few weeks back that was stinky and smoking - a real clunker. When we got to the stop light, I could see that the plates were from New Jersey, and the tags had expired in 2004. At least two cops passed us before I saw that and nothing. WTH?

DammitJanet

someone once stole my little year tag off my license plate so I went and redid it but it did cost me so I said to myself...I refuse to put it on my plate to just get stolen again! So I put that little sucker in my glove box on the registration form and left it there for about 8 months. I went through one roadblock myself and the cops informed me my tag had expired. I told them my whole story about it being stolen and how I had gotten another one and it wasnt really expired. I told them to call in and check while I looked in my glove box for the registration...I was really searching all through my completely FULL glove box for that paper.

Do realize I look like an overweight grandmother with Mother of a Marine stickers on the back of my car and I am scrambling to do all this stuff all while I am chattering out the window telling the cops how my son up in VA went through the Marines as a MP and now works for the sheriffs dept but he grew up down here, do they remember him? LOL. Finally they just tell me to go on. I sit there and say...Oh no officers! You have to see my registration, thats the law! I have it here somewhere, just give me a minute more.

Finally one of them looks at me and says, ma'am, we believe you. We called it in. Your fine. Go and have a nice day. I drove off telling them they were such nice young men.

A few weeks later Tony got caught in another roadblock and they told him he could get a ticket for not having the sticker displayed even though we had it in our possession. I told him he just didnt have the touch.

InsaneCdn

Good thing you're not living HERE.
The police have a plate-scanner on the front of their car that automatically scans every single licence plate they approach... and tells them if there is ANYTHING about that car that is a problem, including... expired plates.
(there's a good reason for them doing this but I can't explain without giving away my location)

DammitJanet

One thing our state has gone to that I am extremely happy about is no more inspection stickers on your front windows. You get your car inspected sometime the month before your plates are due to be renewed and the station sends that info into the license plate agency and it is all in the computers. No inspection...no tags. Also our insurance is linked to our tags. We dont have to carry insurance cards here because the info is on our registration. If we change insurance companies, we get a new registration form.

InsaneCdn

Janet... you have to get an inspection every year? Really? WOW.

Here... if you bring in an out-of-province vehicle, or if you switch from an antique plate to a standard plate, or if the vehicle has been repaired after an accident or after being pulled over for suspected safety issues. Yearly? That's doggone expensive!

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
We have some counties that require yearly inspections... Used to be most of them, but it turned out to be more expensive for the counties than it was worth in revenue.

The closest inspection station to my house is now a motorcycle performance shop...

buddy

MN tried the inspection thing long ago and found it wasn't worth it so discontinued it.

We too get the registration in the mail but I bought car aug1 ish and they sent the title to my old addy. luckily they forwarded it (dmv said they shouldn't have) so either it wasn't registered in my name before expired or the registration didn't come to my new addy and wasn't forwarded like the title. I wasnt sure until I had the title if it was registered in my name. but from now on I can just go and it's in the computer. the lady said that my car sale paper work would have been good enough. While there I finally changed my addy on my license too. I realized my new checks never arrived either so went to the bank and no, they aren't ordered...but the addy was entered..... so when i went to do it several months ago she filled it all out but didn't hit enter . I didn't notice because I rarely write checks. so while I was pretty negligent over the last few months I did get alot of tiny things done yesterday.

Sometimes the stress of my life catches up with me. I do miss things being in survival mode so much. But it normal to me now.....I wonder if that will change?

Lothlorien

We are every year here, too, unless it's a new car. We don't have the stickers on our plate, except for commercial plates. They used to do full inspections...brakes, lights, flashers and tires. Now all they inspect is the emissions. Pathetic.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Oh, Loth - they inspected everything here too, but emissions was the biggie. Now... Of 88 Ohio counties only 7 still do the E-check, and they are all in NE Ohio...