how husband went insane

lovemysons

Pigless,
I am listening with strong interest too...I had a psychotic breakdown myself week of Feb 7, 2007. Found out I was manic and Bipolor. Could not sleep (like your husband) for weeks and was eating very little. The psychotic episode lead to be involuntarily commited (after trying to grab a gun from police to shoot myself...long story and similar to your husband's). I was put on Abilify which I have been stable on ever since.

Anyway, regardless of my own illness...I am SO sorry the psychiatrists in your husbands case did not respond properly. I am so sorry at the result in your's and husband's case.

Many gentle hugs and caring thoughts for you and your family.
LMS

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I was reading last night on my phone, and started to post hugs & the phone died. So first things first, LOTS of hugs.

I'm listening, too.

I think what Buddy meant was the fact that MH professionals who don't look at the whole picture (ie not taking calls from spouses) and self-medication (marijuana, alcohol, pain medications, etc.) can really really change everything. Completely. But society at large just doesn't "get" it.

Regardless of that - I cannot imagine how hard it must have been, but I too am interested.

everywoman

I'm listening too. I'm so afraid that my children are experiencing this right now with my ex. They are adults, and don't tell me a lot about what is going on with their dad, but I really worry that his drug use it affecting his mental state in ways no one knows.

buddy

I was reading last night on my phone, and started to post hugs & the phone died. So first things first, LOTS of hugs.

I'm listening, too.

I think what Buddy meant was the fact that MH professionals who don't look at the whole picture (ie not taking calls from spouses) and self-medication (marijuana, alcohol, pain medications, etc.) can really really change everything. Completely. But society at large just doesn't "get" it.

Regardless of that - I cannot imagine how hard it must have been, but I too am interested.

Yes, I'm sorry. Wasn't saying you should do anything. Just simply that it was powerful and probably not so unique that people are ignored (relatives and professionals who know what is going on) and it is such an amazing example of how someone who is so ill can manipulate the system. Step put it nicely.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Society at large doesn't "get it" period. And I don't think it's just because they're unfeeling. I think it's because you have to live with mental illness, or be exposed to it long enough that it dawns on you that it has no affect on these people's intellectual ability......just their functioning ability. My mom can be right smack dab in the middle of a psychotic break and no one has a clue.......until it become severe enough she attacks people like cops. I recognize the signs easily.....simply because I grew up with her and know the subtle warning clues. But she worked years as a nurse and no one had a clue she was schizo.....ok maybe they suspected there was an issue but I know not that severe. Like many of our kids, she could barely hold it together at work, then fall totally apart at home.

Sadly, even some tdocs and psychiatrists really honestly don't get it. And I've had some really good of each that I worked with that would admit it to me. Some of these figure if a patient is so bad in their functioning that they couldn't possibly have the intelligence to manipulate them for things such as medications. BFF's last psychiatrist was that way, stupid man. Her death wasn't his fault, but he sure as hades contributed to it in my opinion.

Still listening here too pigless. I'm so sorry you and the kids had to go through this horrible ordeal, husband too for that matter.

((hugs))

witzend

I'm listening, too.

Agreed. When RTL was our last hope for M - also brilliant - they refused to talk to us or any past therapists. It made things so much worse than it needed to be. There should be a law that residential commitments have to take an accurate history. If they want to dismiss it after they've seen it or talked to people, fine. But to not listen or look at all? It should be a crime.

recoveringenabler

Staff member
I am so so sorry. I am listening too. It is a sad story and I wish you had not lived through it. I understand this in a very personal way since my son-in-law committed suicide in 2000 and then I watched my daughter and an entire family implode. Suicide touches so many in such deep and profound ways. I have been surrounded by mental illness my entire life, so I really understand the impact, the frustration, the pain, the sorrow and the lack of support from those in authority. Thank you for sharing your experience with us. My heart goes out to you and my prayers that your family heals and finds peace..........there are many cyber arms encircling you now..............

CrazyinVA

Staff member
Pigless, I am just reading this thread. I'm glad you're writing it, and I hope it helps somewhat. I'm here, and will continue to read ... and am close by. Hugs.

pigless in VA

LMS, I'm sorry that you also had a psychotic episode. I am so happy to hear that you are stable now. husband refused all anti-psychotics on the grounds that he had tried them years ago and didn't like the side-effects. You have to first be willling to try; good for you for being brave.

Stepto2, you reminded me that husband also had pain medications in the mix. He kept getting more and more of them for this leg pain, abusing them and becoming depressed when he ran out.

Loth, I don't think there was much thinking going on with any of the docs.

Everywoman, you can understand how husband's death is partly a relief for me. I don't have to worry about my children being exposed to the insanity without me present.

Hound dog, you put it very well. There is something very different about someone in the middle of psychosis, but it can easily be hidden for the professionals. I remember husband's eyes being glittery. To me, it was immediately apparent, but not so for the docs.

Witz, it takes too much time to absorb all the information. But mental illness is complicated and the only way to help someone is for everyone to work together. I guess in a perfect world that would happen.

recovering, I'm sorry about your daughter's husband. Yes, husband's suicide has shaken so many people; people I would never have expected to be hurt by it. I found myself comforting his devastated coworkers at the memorial. He had no idea how his decision would impact others; he viewed himself as a solitary person.

Thanks for listening everyone.

Big hugs from here too. Thank you for sharing your story.

I'm so sorry for what all of you have been through and so sorry that the doctors did not give your husband the care he needed and that husband did not accept the care that he needed.

(((HUGs))) Thank you for sharing this personal part of your life. My mother in law was a paranoid schizophrenic and I was not compassionate, I am very guilty over this, she passed away many years ago, and I still feel like she would not have if we (all her kids) cared more. It was hard not to get angry at the things she did...steal from our house, spend all her money on things for babies- she always thought she was about to have triplets and would wander the streets with a baby carridge. I have bad guilt, she died indirectly from her illness.

I don't want to make this about my experience, but I'm sorry, mental health is so misunderstood. (((HUGS))). I have a mental health issue as well. I don't understand it myself. (((HUGS)))

lovemysons

Pigless,

Thank you for calling me "brave". I just can't go through that again.
It has had side effects...I am no longer the "vibrant woman" my husband married (his words sigh). My oldest difficult child will not allow his children to be around me unattended and does not want mental illness Ever discussed around his children. My mother and husband will always be at odds over how my last day before hospitalisation was handled...husband thought I had been slipped LSD at an AA meeting. My mother had taken care of me the last day and husband repeatedly said that he would come home from work to take me to the hospital (but didn't) because he thought I was on a drug that would eventually wear off (sigh). The situation was dire and critical and I barely made it to the hospital (in a police car) in time after husband finally made it home and I had jumped from husband's truck at a light because he had a shovel in the back and I "thought" he was taking me to the edge of town to bury me. Police arrived, I tried to grab gun, they handcuffed me and took me to the hospital.

Like your husband, my psychosis also involved battling "evil". My mother, husband, and oldest difficult child's picture all looked like satan to me. I trusted none of the people who would normally be my closest ally's in life. I know that especially disturbed my mother. Can also relate to sinister messeges from TV as well as radio and internet. G-d was talking to me...it was bizarre and people on TV were very ugly and cold and superficial "in my mind".

I have gained a tremendous amount of weight on Abilify and am not as sharp or as intense as I once was. Part of me is "gone" but I have to accept that. The Dr's said if I ever had another psychotic episode it would be harder to bring me back.

Pigless maybe I should have PM'd you insteading of posting.
I still am having such a hard time with what happend to you husband and family. I can't believe the docs were so careless and irresponsible...how very sad how very tragic.

with love and care,
LMS

pigless in VA

husband was very, very angry with me after the court appearance. We were allowed to communicate via telephone or email, but I avoided it as much as possible. He tied up our finances leaving me virtually no money for running the household. I had support from my family who stepped up to make certain we didn't starve. husband was supposedly on disability, but I had no way of knowing what was happening with his job.

husband checked himself into a different psychiatric hospital in December. This time, his uncle the psychiatrist was able to convince the attending psychiatrist to make changes to his medications. Unfortunately, they changed ALL of them at once. I only know this from the hospital report I received later. A few days after he was released, I received a very apologetic phone call from husband. He said he missed us, he loved us, and he was able to answer questions about our finances. He spoke to both kids and told them that he missed them and loved them.

The next evening he called again. This time there was an urgency in his voice and he asked me for "straight answers." First, he asked if I loved him. I told him truthfully that I will always love him. He cried. Then he asked if I would let him come home. This time I was the one in tears, and I told him I could not since I was afraid of him. He knew what that meant to me. My first husband was abusive, and I left him. He said, "Well then there's no reason left to live." I tried to talk him into going back to the hospital. I even brought up his childhood friend whose father committed suicide. I told him his children needed him. He said, "They will have their mother. I hope I see you again some day in a better place. Good bye." (very stilted), and he hung up. I immediately telephoned the police and then his parents. His father told me he had run out the door and jumped in the car.

His parents found him in the morning. I still don't understand why they went to check the piece of property they refer to as "the farm." He had shot himself in the head. husband did not own a gun, and no one sold him one. I don't know if father in law ignored me when I told him to remove the firearms or if someone gave him the gun or if he managed to find a gun his parents had forgotten about in their house. It doesn't much matter. husband could have chosen a different method; he was smart enough to know what would work.

When I got the phone call from my brother in law that they had found his body, my kids were both so mature. At first, I did not want to tell them HOW he did it. But easy child asked immediately, "Did he shoot himself?" difficult child said, "Mommy, he could have come here and killed all of us, too, and he didn't." No, he didn't. I think a part of him believed he was protecting us; for that I am grateful.

We have also been fortunate for a multitude of friends who were not afraid to help us. husband's coworkers were of immeasurable help both during and afterward. I had no choice but to be brutally honest about what was happening in our lives, and only one person steered clear of us during the worst of it. Everyone else was supportive and helpful and offered us places to stay in case of emergency. I learned that my friends and neighbors are super people.

As my SO says, "Nothing is either all good or all bad." We learn from all our experiences and even something which appears horrible at first glace, will teach us a valuable lesson if we choose to learn it. Yes, it is a sad story, but the kids and I survived. My kids still have a chance to experience life in a positive way. I refuse to allow husband's mental illness suck us all down with him.

T

TeDo

Wow. This whole story brings me to tears. I am glad you all survived and you seem to have a great outlook that came from it. You seem to have found the "silver lining" to a very tragic situation. It IS times like that that show you who you're real friends are. You really are a Warrior....not just a Warrior Mom. I can't imagine what you went through but am very glad you were able to share such a personal story. I admire you and am VERY glad you are back here.

BusynMember

I didn't want to comment until I read the whole story. And now I find I am speechless.

This must have been so hard for all of you...so frightening for you and your children. Sadly, many, many people with mental illness do not want to take their medication because of the side effects. I read once that unmedicated bipolar had the highest suicide rate of any mental illness.

You are very brave to share this with all of us and seem like a strong person who did the best she could and then stayed the rock for her children. You have my respect and admiration and my heartfelt sympathy for what you went through.

L

Liahona

I am impressed with your positive attitude that you can learn from this awful experience. You are an example to me. I hope you and your children have peace.