How I spent my summer vacation...

gcvmom

Here we go again!
So we are back from Hawaii and yes it is a beautiful, wonderful place. It's important for me to remember that, and that I got to:
  • snorkel with an amazing array of colorful fish, eels, sea urchins, spanish dancers, and other creatures,
  • watch fish gather around me like pigeons to eat frozen peas,
  • swim with green sea turtles,
  • kayak up a beautiful tropical river,
  • hike through a jungle to a secret waterfall,
  • fall asleep to the sound of waves,
  • wake to the sound of tropical birds,
  • watch the sun rise over the Pacific ocean,
  • watch the sun set over the Pacific ocean,
  • marvel at the grand canyon of the Pacific,
  • glimpse mongooses (geese?) as they scurried across the road,
  • watch my kids hike across a sleeping volcanic crater,
  • see a Massive (that's with a capital M) plume of steam as lava flowed into the ocean,
  • watch superheated gases and smoke pour out of a live volcano,
  • walk through an old lava tube,
  • walk through a forest of lava trees,
  • see the ocean erupt like a geyser out of a seaside lava tube,
  • see wild goats, a Hawaiian owl and a Hawaiian hawk on the roadside,
  • watch geckos and anoles search for bugs at night,
  • smash cockroaches and feed them to pond fish at night,
  • eat the freshest fish, tropical fruit, chocolate covered macadamia nuts, and pure Kona coffee every day (if I really wanted to),
  • watch my kids revel in catching frogs at night and feeding feral chickens by day,
  • smell the heavenly scent of white ginger, plumeria and other amazing flowers,
  • see wild orchids, papaya, banana, and mango growing by the side of the road,
  • and sleep in just about every day.
There were many, many glorious moments. Too many to list.

But I'm glad to be back.

Stay tuned for the sequel: 100 ways difficult child's, a husband, and inlaws can make Hawaii feel like Hell.

KateM

That sounds soooooooo wonderful!! We had the great fortune of winning a trip to Kauhi ( I think I'm butchering the sp) several years ago through husband's work. What a paradise! My favorite activity was the snokerling.Great memories for you and your family!

klmno

Wow, what a great vacation! (I think I would have had to skip the big cockroach even though.)

It was a good idea to write up the list since it sounds like you might have memories of other things too, which could "tarnish" the good ones!

Andy

What GREAT memories - Make an album out of these. Ask difficult child to make a list of good memories to add to yours.

Those bad ones, write up and burn.