How I spent September

slsh

member since 1999
Just a quick update - surgery 9/10 for impressively herniated L3/L4 disk. Sneezed (I kid you not) 9/18 with loud popping in back and immediate return of incredible leg pain. Yep, Murphy rides yet again at the slsh house. I re-herniated the disk, had repeat surgery on 9/24. This back and leg pain was unlike *anything* I've ever felt before. Really, quite unbelievable and, in the end, rather motivating. I'm a person who swore up and down I'd *never* have surgery (major phobia here), and ta-da, not only did I *beg* for it once, but twice in 2 weeks. Once again, never say "never".

Good news is that after 30+ years of smoking, a diagnosis of severe degenerative disk disease has finally made me quit (2+ weeks and counting). Also, I've herniated so much of L3/L4, chances of doing it again are nil because there ain't much left. I haven't lost my job (yet). My kids are proving to be truly amazing and strong human beings, and husband has once again surpassed all expectations and been wonderfully supportive.

Bad news - looking at inevitable additional back surgery - either disk replacement or spinal fusion (fun oh fun). IV morphine, demerol, and valium, as well as oral Vicodin, don't do diddly for me (very disappointing, LOL). Have lost 11 pounds and a ton of muscle mass - Halloween costume as scarecrow is a given, send straw. :wink: I'm off work at least another 2 week plus am probably looking at significant PT after that - I'm worried about how long wonderful boss will wait for this body to recoup. Plus, we definitely have to do some fast thinking about how to manage Boo - I can't even push his wheelchair at this point.

thank you, bless his heart, just could not *not* have all the attention on himself, so he refused initial psychiatric appointment at TLC, meaning he ran out of medications last week. Plus, *he* started smoking. :hammer: :hammer: I told him in no uncertain terms that the smoking must stop (I know, not really something I can control but I have to at least try - too bad he wasn't here to witness the pain firsthand). Also told him "bummer" about the medication issue. I just couldn't fix it - not like I could get a new patient appointment with anyone in the near future, even if I could drive, which I can't. He of course managed to luck out and get a fit-in appointment with- TLP psychiatrist, but I told him that I'm done cleaning up his messes now. This is for keeps - he refuses medications and flips, consequences are on him. I cannot, emotionally or physically, run to his rescue anymore. Honeymoon is wearing thin I think... next month should be interesting.

Will try to catch up with- all over the next few days. Hope all are relatively well.

blb

OMG Sue-- as if you on any given day don't have enough on your plate :faint:

The drug store sounded like fun though, just kidding slap me now, sorry to hear narcotics didn't light your fire. I have a similar response to vicodin-- makes me wired and I clean the house until 1 a.m.-- :hypnosis:

Glad to hear the troops rallied round and even though thank you decided to go off a bit, he didn't flip completely while you were incapacitated. In some ways, I really believe that sounds like a huge stride for him :whew: :thumb:

Glad to see you back!

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Sue,

I knew we should have taken our spa vacation sooner. by the way, how are you going to conquer your need to sneeze? :nurse: :smile:

I'm sorry the medications didn't give you any relief - am praying daily (I'm not kidding) that your back holds out; that you're back up on your feet soon.

You know what? We can go to PT together - how about we meet in Madison & drag Sharon along? She could cheer us on! :fan:

Sorry to hear thank you is being thank you. I know that feeling of not being able to rescue him from his mistakes/choices. Keep up the good work & continue taking care of you. :flower: :bath:

I'll check in with you later this week, my friend.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Oh my! Sue you have been in my daily prayers. I'm sorry you have been through so much and will continue to pray for healing. I'm sorry thank you skipped his appointment. and is with-out medications.

I like Linda's idea of PT in Madison! I'll be there cheering you both on! :fan:

busywend

Wow - you have been through a lot! A sneeze???

:scared:

Wishing you all the best for your next surgery and a speedy recovery!

Nothing you can do for thank you right now except listen. You should check out the PE list of responses when your difficult child calls. It is in the archives.

scent of cedar

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: slsh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Have lost 11 pounds and a ton of muscle mass - Halloween costume as scarecrow is a given, send straw. :wink:

</div></div>

:rofl:

You are amazing. :smile:

Wishing well, and holding you and yours in my thoughts and prayers.

Barbara

F

flutterbee

Well, September was a bust. Here's hoping for a better October. :smile:

I knew a guy several years ago who had back surgery due to a work-related injury. Like you, he sneezed and undid the repair and had to have more surgery. Worker's Comp denied the claim because the sneeze wasn't work related. :hammer: (by the way, he appealed it all the way to court and finally got it covered.)

judi

Sue - wow September was not so good for you. Hope October is much better and that you are soon feeling better too. As to thank you - life with the older kids sometimes just has to be their decisions.

Steely

So sorry about your pain and illness.
:flower:
I am sending positive thoughts and GINORMOUS hugs your way. Hang in there!

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
Poor Sue. I know, from my SO, back problems are the absolute pits. His spine is collapsing due to steriods he has to take, and at one point, they wanted to shoot some kind of cement inbetween the joints, but the cure would have been worse than the problem as his bones are too brittle to be hammering in the needle and would end up shattering what was left.

Take care of yourself.

Marcie

KFld

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: scent of cedar</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: slsh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Have lost 11 pounds and a ton of muscle mass - Halloween costume as scarecrow is a given, send straw. :wink:

</div></div>

:rofl:

You are amazing. :smile:

Wishing well, and holding you and yours in my thoughts and prayers.

Barbara </div></div>

you have a great sense of humor. I'm sure that has had a lot to do with how you have managed to handle all of this.