How Idiotic

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
As you guys know, I applied for food stamps and medicaid. I got the food stamps no sweat. I was "supposedly" approved for medicaid. Hospital backed that up when she contacted them for a billing number.

Ok...............so I've been waiting more than a month for my card to show up so I could start making much needed doctor appointments. Today it shows. I should be thrilled. I was for about 5 mins until I actually really read the card.

Are you ready? Drum roll please................

The card can ONLY be used for FAMILY PLANNING purposes. In other words, birth control.

1. I was done with menopause 3 - 4 yrs ago.

2. I could (if needed) get free birth control via our health dept.

WTH would I go through the PITA to sign up for medicaid for FREE BIRTH CONTROL??

I TOLD the stupid cw that I didn't have any use for BC as a post menopausal woman. I told her at least FIVE times! I told her the reason I was applying was I needed my MEDICATION for medical conditions that require them. omg

I am major POed at the moment. No, I am livid. (I will calm down eventually)

omg I knew this cw is a frigging moron (Nichole had her) but this is just totally ridiculous on so many levels.

buddy

NO WAY!!!! What an idiot. I hope it is an easy fix, but sadly, I imagine it isn't, right? I'm just so sorry.

flutterby

Fly away!
Lisa, I can't remember. Did you get approved for SSI? The only way for an adult to get medicaid is to be a senior citizen, disabled, or destitute with minor children.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Heather, I haven't even filed yet.

And I told her upfront I was NONE of those things. I thought there were certain medical exceptions to this rule, though, and figured if there were she would know them. Considering the cw I got, I should've known better.

InsaneCdn

Lisa... with your list of medical conditions? you are disabled, like it or not. So... make use of that fact. You have to treat yourself like most of us have to treat our difficult children: when talking to yourself, you are NOT disabled, because there is so much you can do... but when talking to those who can help you? You are definitely disabled, for a long list of reasons.

Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) alone = disability.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Yes, it does. :(

Oh well, can get blood out of a stone. And most hospitals/docs ect will usually either work with you or dramatically reduce the bill.

flutterby

Fly away!
If you're below the poverty rate, you just have to let the hospital know. You'll have to fill out some paperwork, but you won't be billed. They right it off. Rather, they pass it on to everyone else, but you won't have to pay.

InsaneCdn

Keep the receipts - and keep working the system. You have a toe in the door, at least... and when you get things worked out to where they need to be, they will probably back-date to some degree...

DammitJanet

Dont worry about the bills. When you get the SSI, you will be eligible back to when you are first deemed disabled and your medicaid will be retroactive to that time. But please get started with that. If you need help with that, let me know and I will help you with it online. I know its a pain in the butt but you need it.

Buck tried to apply for Medicaid and I was astonished when he got a Medicaid card until I read the thing and found out it was the same card you got. Then I laughed like a banshee....lol. Before I read the card I had steam coming out my ears because when I lost insurance I couldnt get any help so I was going to blow a gasket!

TerryJ2

Lisa,
the world is filled with-idiots.
I'm not sure if I'm laughing or angry or both. I mean, it's totally absurd.
I agree with-the others; it will get straightened out, but it will take patience on your part.

susiestar

Roll With It
Lisa, if you are not working on your disability or SSI application, start it now. As in TODAY. If you call the social security office they can help. Then you go to the docs and get copies of the records and get the docs to write letters. I am SURE your kidney doctor will help, as will your other docs.

IC is correct. When you are discussing your medical condition for insurance, treatment, etc..., you are disabled. PERIOD. At home and with the family, you are you and you cope however you can.

HOW you present yourself to the docs and SS people is important. Before my first neck surgery I had almost NEVER told a doctor that I wasn't "fine" when the doctor walked in and said "Hi, How are you?". I always had makeup on, wore my nice clothes, and even though I would discuss some pretty awful symptoms, that first impression KILLED my chances for appropriate medical care. That very first 'Fine" and the smile that I gave even when I was in agony made the docs think that I was just whining and attention seeking. Even with clear to ME mri's of my neck showing some major problems with the discs and vertebrae, the doctor didn't think I needed medications or surgery or PT. One aleve was all I needed.

This was a TOP spine doctor in Cincy and I was incredibly confused. My mom was with me and she was shocked. I was cooperative, tried not to cry when the doctor did various things to see how my neck/head moved, and I did not advocate well for myself. In my defense, that first fine was automatic and this guy had no intention of allowing me to say more than 2 or 3 words before he would start talking to the babydoc he was treated. I had also had very little sleep and was overwhelmed.

My mom had a long talk with me about HOW to be the patient that the docs treat early. First of all, when the doctor asks "how was your day?" your answer is "I have had better" or "Not so good" or "Horrible" or "PLEASE cut my head off so it will stop hurting!" Of course the last is exaggeration, but if you have a doctor who is not responsive, that answer CA get some help because it shocks them. Just be sure it s the head that is causing the problem!

When they ask what hurts, tell them as specifically as possible and describe the pain. If a movement or pressure on your body hurts, don't just say ouch, act out ouch. Tense up, pull away, show the pain on your face, make sounds of pain even if it is just a sharp breath.

Doing these things will help motivate the doctor to get the info to SS sooner. Also remember these things when you are sent to the doctor that SS chooses. don't go overboard with the SS doctor, but do show as much as you can.

As for only giving you family planning, the income levels for medicaid for an adult are amazingly low. AMAZINGLY. In my state for a family of 4, the only time the adult (s) get benefits other than family planning are when the gross income is no higher than around $600 or so per month. I know if you earn more than $675 a month you cannot get services for the adults. I haven't pulled up the OK chart lately, but I helped a friend a few months ago and I was shocked by the income guideline.

Google "Medicaid income guidelines for Ohio 2012" and you will find links to the income requirements.

Ohio DOES have a program where the disabled who have income less than 250% of the federal poverty level can buy health insurance at very low prices. If you earn between 150% -200% of the federal poverty level pay premiums, those who earn less than 150% do not pay premiums. I would ask for help with that, and wuold search online for more info. You may find help at the dept of vocational rehabilitation or whatever it might be called. They may know these policies better than others.

I know that your disabilities are not easily visible, but the more you can do to make them visible when you are dealing with these people the more likely they are to provide help. Squeaky wheel and all that.

susiestar

Roll With It
by the way, by the third step of the runaround, I cry. Not big dramatic sobs, but just upset because nothing makes sense and this is important and I am trying to hide the tears type crying.

Star*

call 911........call 911
I have no idea what you are supposed to be getting -------but with your coupon style abilities????? GIRL.......I'd be going there and asking for free condoms, and other hygiene products......and setting up a lemonade stand and making myself enough money to get a REAL doctor and pay for some other medical expenses.......Know what I mean??????? (JUST SAYIN) ......when life hands you a card for freebies you don't need........get em and sell em on ebay.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Hmmm. Never quite thought of it that way Starbie. I guess you have a point. If I can't use it, I'm sure I can find someone who can.