How is the cold and snow in your area? No smart-aleck warm weather birds welcome here...lol

InsaneCdn

WAS in +40s... now it's back below freezing and dropping from there and we are left with... ICE. Streets, sidewalks, parking lots, everywhere.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Second day in the 40s up here in far Northern WI. It's a MESS! I ran my errands in a sweatshirt as it's too warm for my winter parka.

Tomorrow we'll be back down in the 20s and all this slop will freeze again. It would've been better if we hadn't warmed up. The only good thing is that the snow mostly melted off my roof so I didn't have to get it shovelled for the first time.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
22 degrees up here. Front came in overnight accompanied by 4 inches of snow. Ick! The snow wouldn't be too bad except for the layer of ice underneath it.

It'll still be warm this-coming week with temps in the twenties during the day.

InsaneCdn

We have about an inch of snow on top of our re-frozen shush... it's not supposed to get back to melting this week, and after that I don't expect to see melting again for a couple of months... but it IS possible. (just unusual)

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Normally we wouldn't see melting again until February when we usually get a week-long thaw. The way this winter has been going so far...who knows?

All I know right now is that it's a skating rink out there with the fresh snow on top of a layer of ice. It was above freezing for about 72 hours, not enough to melt the nearly 3' of snow we had down. Instead it melted most of the way and froze smooth. The roads melted clear but stayed wet as it rained continually during the warm spell. That glazed over as soon as the temperature dropped.

It wasn't too bad in town, but it was ugly driving out in the county.

InsaneCdn

FOMHLMAO!

I don't know very many people who don't know how to drive a sled.

Most of us at least did it growing up. I could if I had to.

Guess that's a statement about living in da really frozen northlands. ;)

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
IC, I tried taking a lesson my first winter up here a I thought it would be a useful skill to have for winter emergencies. Unfortunately, with my eyesight, I found that the helmets restricted what peripheral vision I do have to dangerous levels.

I thought that was a pity as driving a sled actually sounded like fun. The eyesight/helmet thing is the same reason I never learned to ride a motorcycle.

Rhinelander/Eagle River has one of the largest networks of snowmobile trails in the USA. We are a winter sports hub for that reason.

InsaneCdn

You need peripheral vision to drive a sled? With the helmets, there isn't any for anybody... we have to learn to be owls and turn our heads more than 180 degrees... ;)

And yes, it's fun... at least, I enjoy it if there is a reason to do it, I don't like just going out "for fun". (reason... as in, road is blocked, or tractor won't navigate snowdrifts to feed the animals, or suchlike)

BusynMember

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Just got back from being outdoors and wow it got cold and it's also damp. Glad I told hubby to sign me up for a cab to and from work tomorrow again. That ensures I'll get into a warm car both ways.

Not sure of the temp, but it's definitely on the way down here in Wisconsin.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I ran out for milk a bit ago and it is down to 17 degrees and very damp out. Supposed to go down to 5 above tonight. It's a bit of a jolt after the warm spell, but nothing out of the ordinary for this time of the year up here.