How Long Before You Wash Your Bra?

How long do you wear your nice, expensive, underwire bras before washing?

• One Day

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Two days

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Three Days

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Four Days

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Five Days

• Six Days

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • One Week

• Longer than One Week

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
After a conversation the other day (in which another woman looked at me like I'm nuts!)....

I'm just wondering how long the average woman goes before washing a nice, expensive, underwire bra?

I'm not talking about some little cotton thing or a lycra-spandex sports bra that you wear to aerobics to sweat in -

I mean your GOOD bras.

(This poll is anonymous - you may vote only once. I have not voted yet - I want to see if I really am crazy!)

KTMom91

Good question...for me, it depends on how much I've sweated the previous day. If the weather and my hot flashes are cooperative, and I haven't been working a lot, I'll go several days, because I don't wear bras at home. If I've been working, and drenched in sweat, then I'll toss it in the clothes basket right then.

keista

Well, I don't do nice, expensive, underwires. The closest I came was for my friend's wedding, and my wedding, but I only wore the damn things once (strapless - didn't have anything else to wear them under). So I don't think it counts.

For my dailys I'm just like KTmom is. Totally depends on the day and activity level.

DammitJanet

Expensive and underwires? what on earth are you talking about? LOL.

Honestly, I wash them when I wash my clothes. I dont make an extra day for them.

I always washed any bra after wearing it once. I'm sure I'm in the minority, I also just threw them in with the rest of the clothes, I even put them in the dryer (I know that's bad). They were expensive mastectomy bras, but I've liberated myself and just go around flat-chested now.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I wouldn't wear an underwire if someone paid me to...........as it is I firmly believe bras were invented by males to hide their mate's virtues......or torture them.....or both.

Since I never wear them at home........and I don't go out much, I'm in the longer than a week slot. I toss whatever bra I've worn that week into that weeks laundry. But then I also tend to wear clothing more than once too unless I've sweat alot, spilled something on it, or found another way to get it dirty. Jeans will be worn a whole week usually before they get washed. And I've noticed they last longer that way too. When you're watching every penny and praying they learn to reproduce.......you find ways to cut back on expensive bills. Our water bill here isn't too bad, but the sewer part of the bill is always DOUBLE the water no matter what. omg (the benefit of a new waste water treatment plant that doesn't work half the time)

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Usually, mine fall into the category of wear 'em 2-3 days.

But - I do not believe in expensive OR underwire...

DDD

I voted. Generally I switch bras most every day and therefore the total number of days I wear them is four before I do wash them in the washing machine. I never put any of them in the drier. I have them hang dry. DDD

H

HaoZi

I generally wear sport bras, the really good bras I only use on rare occasions, and even then it depends on how long it was worn and whether or not I sweated in it. Usually that's not long and rarely in the heat, so a little Febreeze does it fine.

trinityroyal

I treat bras the same way I treat all other underwear. One wearing, and then into the wash. Some days, depending on what I'm doing, I can go through 2 or even 3 bras. I rarely go without, even to sleep ...partly a sensory issue, and partly my (feeble) attempts to fight gravity.

I put them in the washer with a regular load of laundry, and in the dryer too (on the delicate cycle). They range from good quality underwire ones, to little cheap cotton ones, and everything in between and they've all lasted for years.

Trinity

donna723

With me, it just depends on the weather. In the winter I might wear one for several days in a row before I wash it, In the summer though, if it's been really hot, if I've been outside and perspiring a lot, I only wear it the one day and then wash it.

I've always worn underwire bras. The underwire takes the "extra" that's under my arms and schooshes it forward and up where it's supposed to be so I don't look like one of those ol' pioneer ladies. But if I get a halfway decent one that fits properly they're not uncomfortable at all. I wear a wierd hard-to-find size but believe it or not, I've had the most luck finding bras on the Walmart website. They have a much bigger (and nicer!) variety online than they do in the stores. I've found good well-made Playatex bras in my size for $14-$16 each which is more than I used to pay for bras but these will last a long time and the wires don't poke through like the cheaper ones do.

flutterby

Fly away!
I don't wear a bra unless I'm leaving the house - and under duress at that - and unless I was sweating, I'm in the 5 days slot. Or longer. You should handwash your expensive bras so they last longer, but I'm usually not in the mood to do that.

I also wear my jeans at least twice before washing - again, unless I was sweating or otherwise got them dirty.

donna723

In the summer I can go a loooong time wearing a pair of jeans before I actually break down and wash them. At home I wear old comfortable shorts and t-shirts around the house and my $2 pair of Walmart flip flops if I have to go outside. I keep a favorite pair of jeans hanging in the bathroom and if I have to go out to the store or the post office, I slip them on and a decent pair of sandals. As soon as I'm back home, before I even put my groceries away, the jeans are back on the hanger and I'm back in my old comfortable shorts.

I put on a bra as soon as the first dog is up and wanting to go outside. I have four of them and they have to all be taken outside on a leash for potty trips. I'm only a half block off of Main Street and there's quite a few cars coming down my street and you never know when someone will be driving by. I learned my lesson when I tried to make a quick (braless) trip outside and a friend from work was driving by and pulled over wanting to chat! I do sometimes go outside without one later at night but by then the streets are deserted and it's dark out there!

K

KatieLouWho

I am a 4 day person, also depending in the amount of sweating that happens it may happen sooner. I don't usually wear one when I am running around the house but have recently learned that its a must when going out. The other day I was running late to drop Kate off at school so I left the house in grubby sweats and an unflattering tshirt and no bra thinking well I am just driving up to the school. I get there and who is waiting for me but the principal (who is always dressed to the nines...always) and he wants to have a quick chat about some school functions that are coming up and one of the people at the meeting can only meet now. I jump out of my truck and I am sure I must have looked homeless, I got the double take from just about everyone. It was a good lesson, I went and bought myself a decent looking casual outfit, hung a bra in the laundry room and placed a hairbrush next to my keys :)

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
OK - I have to share...

I posted this because my friend made the comment "I don't know a woman alive who only wears an underwire bra once before washing!"

and I got to thinking about it - the "wear-life" of clothes.

For me two days is the max for a bra - I mean a bra is a close-contact article of clothing...

Socks, underpants -one day maximum (maybe less!)

Bra, pantyhose - two days, no more than that

Blouse - maybe two days depending on whether I managed to avoid mustard and tomato sauce

Jeans - 3 or 4 days

And anything that needs to be dry-cleaned and pressed? UGH! I will try and put that off as long as humanly possible!

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Dry cleaned?

People still do that???

LOL - we do for husband's suit - but he almost never wears it. Court only...

Star*

call 911........call 911
I have different bras for different 'effects', and different 'weather'. If I go for a walk or kid myself that I can run? I have the duct-tape, uber tight, smash you flat, OMW did you tuck them under your arm pits bra that makes you so flat you couldn't possible give yourself a black eye sports bras by Bali or Nike! Those are lovely! They get the most sweat however. If I'm working in the garden? I'm wearing the comfortably non- tight, but supportive sports bra by Bali. It allows you to breath, work and doesn't round up any numbers by any stretch of the imagination, but does keep your ta-ta's off your knees when you are pulling weeds. If I am going to the grocery store? I want that Susie-Homemaker look; modest, yet still youthful, knows what she's doing in a kitchen, yet could cook it up in a bedroom, but not with you - with her husband - provided I had one...since the ring on my finger only indicates engaged the bra must say decent, yet still slightly edgy, but not rivaling the cantalopes in the produce department, and definitely not advertising a two fer Summer deal. Now if I am going to be taken to the occasional night out? Ah here's where we drag out the big guns, or rather big gun holsters, and since I will have the fiance along side? The dog and pony show, trophy wife, hike-em up where they use to be ten years ago, but thanks to nursing, weight loss, size and gravity I'm now the proud owner of a $65.00 over the shoulder boulder holder by Victoria Secrets comes out of the drawer and it is (if I may say so myself) whether worn with a sweater, dress, or even a plain low cut T shirt? NOT a bra you would want to wear without a date. Unless you were trying to send out a completely negative message to young women everywhere that said "I'm a complete ****, and I advertise right here on avenue 44DDD and let everyone see for the sake of oogling, I have no morals or modesty and I'm willing to show any and everyone before I'm married or otherwise settled with my significant other for life." May as well just walk into a place naked as to have that bra out - it's a weapon and at the cost? You'd really only want to wash it by hand as needed. The bigger you're topside? The more you sweat, the more you sweat? The greater the bacteria, the more the bacteria? The more the smell - and airing them out just does not help...So no matter what I have? I can't ever get more than one time wear out of them.

I wouldn't want to dry clean any of my bras - I keep thinking chemicals....leaching into my skin. I had 'exploratory" breast cancer surgery to remove duct work, and after that? I just didn't go cheap on bras. Turned out the surgery was NOT cancer. The fluid that they could not identify was pooled blood that had stagnated from past abuse when I had been beated. I ended up with a great breast doctor, a cute scar - and an appreciation for what women go through who do loose breasts. I never miss a buddy call.

WHICH BY THE WAY _______DO NOT FORGET YOUR MONTHLY BREAST EXAM and YOUR MAMOGRAM!!!!!

shellyd67

I will only wear something one time. No more. My towel is used once and then tossed into the hamper, even a handtowel is used once and put in the hamper.

I have so much daggone laundry it is pathetic (but my own fault, lol)

Hubby and kids are the same way.