How long does a neuropsychologist report take?

crazymama30

difficult child had his neuropsychologist evaluation 7/19. The np said she would have the report to us by the beginning of the school year, and that was 2 weeks ago! The school was excited to get this info about difficult child, and willing and ready to take the reccomendations and work with the interventions!!!

I am getting a little upset as difficult child's behavior is getting worse, I am sure no thanks to the situation between his dad and I, but any insight into him and his issues would be greatly welcome right now!!

we are waiting on a np report from a major hospital and they told us an easy 8-10 weeks.

i'd personally call and find out what's going on--the worst they can tell you is that its not finished yet, but hopefully by calling you'll light a small fire under them to get it done :)

InsaneCdn

Yes, follow up - but present it that way. I mean, what if the report got lost in the mail system or something? Its not "why is it taking so long" but "I was expecting the report would be done in about this timeframe and haven't heard anything yet..."

flutterby

Fly away!
Call and follow up. It took a while to get difficult child's report because the neuropsychologist was so busy, but I got mine right away.

DDD

Absolutely call and politely ask. If it hasn't been completed yet your call will trigger some activity. DDD

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Call again on Monday (or Sunday night). And keep calling! Squeaky wheel and all that... usually works. If you don't get a call back by Monday night, call Tuesday and ask to speak with someone else, since clearly the np doesn't have time for you. :grrr:

crazymama30

I plan on calling on Monday, and am considering taking it to her supervisor (and yes, she does have one) but she is one of the facilators in difficult child's social skills group, and I really think he needs that and am leery of ticking her off and then having repercussions on Cody.

InsaneCdn

Be aware that it may not even be in the NP's hands. One of our major testing rounds was done out of a specialty centre... and every report that anyone on the team wrote, had to be reviewed by a specialized group before it could be sent out. And THAT group was often 4-8 weeks behind.

crazymama30

Insane, that could be the case here, but I doubt it. NP is at a hospital based outpt behavioral health center. I will call Tuesday if I have not heard back, and ask when it will be available as the IEP team would like to see the reccomendations.

pepperidge

What about if you told them you have an IEP meeting scheduled (of course you are trying to schedule one soon right, lol) and you need it for a certain date?