How long for Lamictal to have an effect?

GinAndTonic

My difficult child just started taking Lamictal to help with a possible mood disorder. Those of you who've had kids on it: how long until you noticed its effects, good or bad?

smallworld

How much is he taking? Are you noticing anything?

Lamictal generally takes 3 to 4 weeks to see any effect and at a dose higher than the starting dose (source: The Bipolar Child). However, some have reported feeling the antidepressant effect take effect at 25 mg.

GinAndTonic

He's only had two doses of 25mg each so far. I know when I took Zoloft, it took a few weeks for it to really work (although I felt better as soon as I'd called my doctor, never mind getting the prescription filled!).

susiestar

Roll With It
I was on it for several weeks. It is supposed to be good at handling serious, long-term depression, but not as good with mania.

I did not get any help from it, but did get lovely stomach cramps. So we switched to prozac again.

I would think it will take several weeks (sometimes up to 8) for the full effects. That is AFTER you get to the therapeautic dose.

SaraT

My difficult child started at 25mg (3 yrs ago, age 9) and is now at 150mg a day. It took about 2 weeks to see her mood stabilize some, but about 6 or so for full effect to be seen. No side effects and she no longer cycles several times a day. It is a seizure medication that is used to stabilize mood swings.

Good luck.

DammitJanet

Im on it and have been since 2003 I think. If I can remember correctly it took me about 2 weeks...until I got a bit up there on the starter pack...for me to feel anything and then it really kicked in when I was on full dose.